Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 08:48   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if it's a hank-on staysail, you can't use a roller furler - that requires a luff tape and an extrusion over the stay to accept the tape. The easiest and least expensive way to use this sail may be to re-cut it so that the foot is above the bow pulpit and forward lifelines and then use a pennant to raise the tack.
Good luck
John Mardall
for

Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 08:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if it's a hank-on staysail, you can't use a roller furler - that requires a luff tape and an extrusion over the stay to accept the tape. The easiest and least expensive way to use this sail may be to re-cut it so that the foot is above the bow pulpit and forward lifelines and then use a pennant to raise the tack.
Good luck
John Mardall
for

Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
I was thinking more in line of this:

since then I can store it with furler when not using it. only difference would be that it is outside of stay since it will be on bowsprit.
chuspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:27   #18

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Your diagram helps clarify your intention (I think) but if I understand correctly you are thinking you can incorporate a fuller at the bottom. It won't work. A top down furler requires a torsion cable attached directly to the sail to transmit the twist to the luff and roll the sail up. A bottom up (conventional) furler uses an extruded foil that rides over the stay. The sail has a bolt rope that fits into a groove in the foil and the foil provides the rigidity to transmit the torque and roll the sail. If you try to furl a sail by just twisting the bottom of it you will just end up with a jammed up mess.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:48   #19

Boat: Moody 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Pillroller

With hanks they will just rotate unevenly. You need the bolt rope in a groove on a aluminium stay to furl bottom up. That is why they invented the top-down soft stays system. Good luck, as I agree you need a smaller sail.,or chop off some of the bottom.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:31   #20

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

If you go for a system without furler, you could use the same setup as many gaff-rigged boats have for the jib. The halyard goes over a block at the top of the mast, then back down inside the hanks of the sail to a block on the bowsprit and from there to a winch. This means that the halyard kind of doubles as a stay, but the biggest advantage is that the sail is relatively controlled when lowering.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 00:49   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillroller View Post
With hanks they will just rotate unevenly. You need the bolt rope in a groove on a aluminium stay to furl bottom up. That is why they invented the top-down soft stays system. Good luck, as I agree you need a smaller sail.,or chop off some of the bottom.
That photo i Posted is from Barton marine:

Barton Marine - Tech Info - Jib Furling with Sail Hanks - Fitting

and since I have roll geona this seemed like viable option for drifter. Especially because I can store it in bag with everything attached.
Regardin aluminuim extrusion I don't have place to fit it since I have one, or can I store it when not in use.
Old 26-05-2020, 00:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
If you go for a system without furler, you could use the same setup as many gaff-rigged boats have for the jib. The halyard goes over a block at the top of the mast, then back down inside the hanks of the sail to a block on the bowsprit and from there to a winch. This means that the halyard kind of doubles as a stay, but the biggest advantage is that the sail is relatively controlled when lowering.
Is tehre picture of this so I can visualize it little more clerarly?
Old 26-05-2020, 01:25   #23

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuspy View Post
That photo i Posted is from Barton marine:

Barton Marine - Tech Info - Jib Furling with Sail Hanks - Fitting

and since I have roll geona this seemed like viable option for drifter. Especially because I can store it in bag with everything attached.
Regardin aluminuim extrusion I don't have place to fit it since I have one, or can I store it when not in use.
Maximum sail area 10m2? I think this is viable for smaller sails, which experience less load. There was once upon a time a system used for jibs on cutters, from Wykeham Martin. They still make it. This rolls from the bottom down, but the sails are set flying, use no hanks. I would think the hanks might actually destroy the sail when you roll it.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 03:02   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuspy View Post
You misunderstud me. It won't interfere since it will be on bowsprit. My qouestion was do I have to buy top-down furler (for gennaker, code 0...) or can I use conventional furler that i will mount on bowsprit.
Ah, ok, well your question has already been answered I see from other comments. You can flake it into a bag at its foot if you want ease of access.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:09   #25

I have just replaced the stainless wire luff rope on my unhanked drifter with 5mm dyneema (34' boat). Easy job and makes it much easier to stow. The dyneema is sewn to the sail only at the top. The rest is in a sleeve with an eye at the clew to which I attach a block to get a purchase to tighten the luff when pointing up and loosen it when running. Mine is attached on the foredeck as I seem to use it upwind as much as downwind and can mitigate for chafe over the pulpit more easily than build a bowsprit for it
I have a second hand snuffer to dowse the sail. Furlers are very expensive in comparison. On the foredeck of a 19' boat I'd want one or the other, having spent a season wrestling with my drifter before the snuffer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200102_153947.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	215837   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200102_170532.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	215838  

Differentroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 05:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Adding a few inches with a short pendant at the tack usually eliminates interference with the lifelines and/or bow pulpit if you have the room up top for it hoist that much further. It depends. I used two soft-shackles on our drifter at the tack and 6 inches made all the difference in the world.

We can hoist our drifter without the hanks which gives the luff more of an open shape which works well on certain downwind tacks, but you lose one of the best properties of the drifter which is easy drops. Without the hanks it is just an asymmetrical spinnaker with all the inherent issues of dropping such since it wants to billow out and fall into the sea as soon as halyard tension is released. With the hanks it falls straight down like any other hanked-on jib or geneoa.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 06:46   #27

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

As MartinR noted the system for which you have the picture is for smaller boats. I have never seen such but imagine that with a larger sail it just will be problematic as you have too long a luff with nothing effectively transmitting torque to roll in the middle of the luff. I found a post from 2013 that appears to be addressing a similar system used on a 30' boat with poor results. It is pasted below:

Hi all,
I had the Mariner-type of furling on my C30 and it was a pain in the as#! The middle of the luff would lazily follow the head and clew, giving a very unsatisfactory furled sail shape. Furthermore, it would sometimes allow the genoa to begin unfurling in the middle, even though the top and bottom were secured (heavy winds).
My advice is not to go this way.
YMMV.
Cheers, Bill
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote