Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 03:29   #31

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Diesel for a stove?

btw: after 3 rtw with kero+metho-preheat it's going to be propane (+induction plate+microwave+hot-water-kettle of an inverter/solarpanels to "extend" the gasstock onboard)
unfortunately this kero-cooking thing not only did not benefit from further development (like using diesel!), on the contrary it seems to be a technological dead-end
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 04:57   #32

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Propane is just so convenient. It has been pointed out that propane is not always available in other parts of the world. It would be interesting to determine how large of a problem this may be.

I am addicted to youtube liveaboard/sailing videos. Nobody every mentions problems with getting propane in foreign countries. Are those videos real though? Beautiful young people with very nice yacht. Sailing around the world to their hearts content. Suggesting that we contribute to them....ok. They kind of seem pretty supported already.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 05:13   #33

even if available you gotta lug your bottles around, not to speak of the not inconsiderable risk...
diesel would be just so much more convenient (of course only if you don't have to preheat with metho!), you have a big tank on board anyway, available everywhere, but alas...
Old 14-04-2017, 01:03   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana_ct View Post
The age is not important to me. You can still get replacement burners and replacement parts for the fuel tank, as we have done recently. I would rather put up with some extra maintenance and inconvenience in order to avoid the problems of propane (explosion potential, refilling tanks, different standards and connectors). We also run a Sigmar diesel drip feed heater - another marvellous piece of kit that replaced a smaller Dickinson heater. We have a little butane/propane on board for the blow torch. Spare fuel is vacuum packed. For hot weather cooking we have a charcoal Cobb, thought it hasn't been tried yet.
Parts may be available from different sources but not Force 10.

The Sigmar/Dickinson products (same company) are well built and commercial fishing boats in many parts of the world use them. As posted though not for the tropics.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 04:47   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Tried burning #1 diesel in our Optimus burner kerosene stove with disastrous results. Only took a few uses for the burners to block up and had to be replaced. You can probably burn kerosene in a diesel stove but think twice before doing the opposite.

Think the main reason for the overwhelming use of propane for cooking is its instant heat. Other forms of fuel need some form of warmup or don't produce equivalent heat compared to propane. We live in a time of instant gratification which has spilled into boat cooking stove fuel. For me preheating with alcohol is no big thing using kerosene but not the case for the masses.
as I wrote: 50% worked fine (for months!), more diesel didn't..
Old 15-04-2017, 17:50   #36

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Propane is just so convenient. It has been pointed out that propane is not always available in other parts of the world. It would be interesting to determine how large of a problem this may be.

I am addicted to youtube liveaboard/sailing videos. Nobody every mentions problems with getting propane in foreign countries. Are those videos real though? Beautiful young people with very nice yacht. Sailing around the world to their hearts content. Suggesting that we contribute to them....ok. They kind of seem pretty supported already.
I, too, have the same addiction. But there is one channel which solves this problem by having both diesel and propane for cooking. Diesel for the northern latitudes and propane for the tropics.

But you need a big enough boat and/or flexibility of a bespoke boat like couple at Emerald Steel.
Old 15-04-2017, 18:26   #37

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I grew up around diesel stoves. In cold weather, you can't beat it. It keeps the boat dry and warm. Fishermen run theirs 24/7. Most have a coil for heating the hot water tank. I have never smelled burning diesel from a diesel stove properly installed. The stoves usually have a cast iron top that needs to be heated slowly over 15-30 minutes. In hot climates they will drive you out of the cabin. I avoid hot weather, but when caught, I use a couple induction hot plates.
In my time I have seen several propane boat explosions or the aftermath. Most were properly installed, but later developed unknown leaks. I don't think it's worth the risk. I only use it in my BBQ on deck. It has a side burner for cooking.
Two of my favorite propane pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-explosion17.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	145465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uhaul.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	145466  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 19:11   #38

Had a Washington Diesel Stove on my boat for 15years .... other than mid summer in the pacific north west it was awesome. Nice, Warm and Dry in the middle of winter. And the coffee was alway warm. Had a heat operated fan that sat on the top of the stove and blew the warm are around the salon

Only issue ... and funny now. Was when he had it on low and the stove back drafted ... the the whole inside of the boat was covered in soot. Not fun at the time... but I'm smiling now

The issue is that they are not fuel efficient compared to something like a Hurricane Hot water heating system & A propane stove. When diesel got more pricey I changed up ... not exactly sure it was a upgrade ... or just a change
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 05:31   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoandj View Post
We go to the hardware store and buy methyl hydrate (which is methanol) its often in the painting section. I can't actually tell you how much it cost off the top of my head but it hasn't broken the bank!
4l (approx 1 US Gallon) @ $10.49 CDN
Methyl Hydrate | Canadian Tire

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:54   #40

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
even if available you gotta lug your bottles around, not to speak of the not inconsiderable risk...
diesel would be just so much more convenient (of course only if you don't have to preheat with metho!), you have a big tank on board anyway, available everywhere, but alas...

I think that if you want a single fuel (diesel) boat a better approach would be to just beef up your generating capability, and cook electric.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 07:00   #41

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.

Is this really feasible with solar and wind power? I found a 12v kettle completely disappointing, and a wind powered turbine vastly overrated.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 07:24   #42

even with a good genset u'd need some gas on board too:
1. it's unacceptable to have to crank up for a cup of coffee on nightwatch during a passage &
2. in case something's wrong with the genset (no unknown!)
Old 16-04-2017, 08:30   #43

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
even with a good genset u'd need some gas on board too:
1. it's unacceptable to have to crank up for a cup of coffee on nightwatch during a passage &
2. in case something's wrong with the genset (no unknown!)
1. A cup of coffee drains the battery bank about 0.4Ah, no reason to crank..
2. Have enough solar for the basics, just cut of not necessary comsumption as laundry, AC and such..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:19   #44

The Primus 207b burner which is found in most of the pressurized marine stoves and small cabin heaters will burn either kerosene (paraffin in GB and parts of Europe) or they will burn #2 diesel equally well. The two fuels use a different set of jets (nipples) and prickers. Try to use diesel with the smaller kero jet installed and you make a sooty mess. I think kero takes a little less preheat to vaporize the fuel, but the amount of heat needed is only marginally less.

Kerosene does not have to be an expensive fuel. I bring my own containers to a bulk oil dealer and usually pay about the same for kerosene as the local cost of a gallon of gasoline at the pump. Last time I purchased ten US gallons of K-1 for about $30 American.

There are some new kids on the block when it comes to replacement burners. I don’t know anything about the quality of these but the price is excellent:

PRIMUS STOVE REGULATING BURNER TAYLORS STOVE OPTIMUS STOVE KEROSENE STOVE | eBay

I want to say again for the record though: Most burners that get replaced can be fixed. In fact nearly all can be fixed unless you drove over it with the family car.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 23:12   #45

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I've lived with pump up kero stoves with ovens which can be gimballed and are not vented, and Dickinson stoves diesels which are vented and can't be gimballed............ And With all its horror and glum and doom propane is so much better, easier, cleaner and if installed and monitored as safe......... Alcohol is for my belly not to start or use in my stove...........
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote