Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 13:11   #1

Stove or No Stove (or Oven)

I am in the middle of a total refit of a Tartan T34C. I have messed with the interior a bit as well as the galley and have decided to eliminate the stove to relocate a larger refrigerator in the base cabinet. The logic goes: we have a cockpit mounted BBQ grill, a generator (3.5kw), and a micro-convection oven located in the new galley cabinet (properly vented and heat-proofed). We hardly use the stove at home, why should we try on the boat? Is a cabin stove a vestigial appliance of a bygone era? I can do without pasta while sailing or find another way. EVERYTHING in a sailboat is a trade-off or compromise of some sort. Thoughts?
blackskydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 13:25   #2

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: Stove or No Stove (or Oven)

I think that's a question only you can answer. It depends on how you use your boat. You have alternate means for cooking, so no problem if that's what you want. We use our stove top every day - starting with coffee in the morning. The oven not as much, but we do use it. So for us that would not work.

One other consideration -- re-sale value. Do you plan to keep the boat long term? If not, removing the stove and oven might make it harder to sell down the road.

Just my $.02
Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 13:28   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We have an oven and I would not go without. We did not have one while living our land life.

My vote then is: have one!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 13:29   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

Depends if you are weekending or living aboard. If you are weekending bbq is easy. If you are living aboard or doing extended stays you're going to have to cook in the rain as well as when its nice out, the stove could prove valuable.

My wife and I love to cook so a stove is absolutely key for us. It seems like though you are perfectly content getting by without. I though cant live without cooking eggs and bacon in the morning when I'm on the boat
Old 12-11-2013, 13:31   #5

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
I think that's a question only you can answer. It depends on how you use your boat. You have alternate means for cooking, so no problem if that's what you want. We use our stove top every day - starting with coffee in the morning. The oven not as much, but we do use it. So for us that would not work.

One other consideration -- re-sale value. Do you plan to keep the boat long term? If not, removing the stove and oven might make it harder to sell down the road.

Just my $.02
Scott
I agree. I wonder how much time he spends underway. Unless the microwave is gimbaled, making anything in it in any kind of seas will be a challenge.

$.02 more
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:22   #6

You're going to kill the resale value of the boat.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackskydave View Post
I am in the middle of a total refit of a Tartan T34C. I have messed with the interior a bit as well as the galley and have decided to eliminate the stove to relocate a larger refrigerator in the base cabinet. The logic goes: we have a cockpit mounted BBQ grill, a generator (3.5kw), and a micro-convection oven located in the new galley cabinet (properly vented and heat-proofed). We hardly use the stove at home, why should we try on the boat? Is a cabin stove a vestigial appliance of a bygone era? I can do without pasta while sailing or find another way. EVERYTHING in a sailboat is a trade-off or compromise of some sort. Thoughts?
It's your choice. If you don't use it and don't want it then off it. For weekends and occasional use you can get away with most anything. Not sure how this would impact the resale value if that's a concern.

For a liveaboard I couldn't live without stove and oven.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:00   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Guy's it's a micro-convection oven, much better than just an oven. That and a hot plate since it seems they want to go electric gets them anything they want, assuming of course sandwiches are OK while underway.
Do many cook in rough weather? Just curious as I don't have that experience yet, I had assumed sandwiches in anything other than semi smooth water
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:46   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Guy's it's a micro-convection oven, much better than just an oven. That and a hot plate since it seems they want to go electric gets them anything they want, assuming of course sandwiches are OK while underway.
Do many cook in rough weather? Just curious as I don't have that experience yet, I had assumed sandwiches in anything other than semi smooth water
If they're running a generator, they could have an on demand hot water tap. It's really hard for me to keep going without coffee. With Mountain House freeze dry food you just open the bag and add the hot water. I have of their food for emergencies.

We three amigos on 4 hr watches in rough weather, lived on nuts, trail mix, and power bars for a few days...even sandwiches seemed like too much work.
Old 12-11-2013, 18:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sandwiches might be OK for a day or so but on a long passage a real meal makes a big difference. So, yes I have cooked in conditions a good deal worse than semi smooth.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 19:50   #11

Boat: csy 37

we've found that we pretty much cook on the boat the way we cook at home. for instance, we don't own a barbecue grill at home but we bought one for the boat; we've never used it. we don't use the oven at home and we don't use the oven on the boat.

i'd say go ahead set the galley up the way you might set it up at home. but keep the old stuff in your garage; you may want to reinstall it some day...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 08:24   #12

1- micro convection ovens are amazing things. They do bacon and eggs, french fries, small pizza's, hot sandwiches, small turkey, fish etc. and can heat water in a vented container using just the micro function. 2- demand hot water (180degf i think) makes tea... but its from the tank water... not my preference. Better to zap a little bottled water in the micro. 3- stove tops can be reinstalled, but there's not much agreement between sailors about fuels and so forth. So i don't consider it a major resale inhibitor. Biminis add to the usefulness of cockpit grills. Also with the generator we can use a coffee maker (Keurig). Better coffee than, but lacks the "soul" of the ole pot on the stove at sea. Like I said, compromises.
blackskydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 21:01   #13

I have a NuWave cooking grill that you can just put in the sink in rough water. It uses a heat induction surface and cooks very well. A nice compliment to the microwave induction and outside grill. And you can store it anywhere. Runs off of the generator.
Bush57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven