Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 13:35   #46

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Danny green chameleon nesting dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Nice! I'm working on a B&B 2-paw nesting dinghy.

Attachment 113194

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
Awesome! I built their Spindrift 9' nesting.... awesome stable little boat, but it ended-up weighting about 130 pounds with all the fairing I needed We replaced with a RIB before we went cruising.

MattClick image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	1408
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	113992

Click image for larger version

Name:	069.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	113993
Old 13-12-2015, 11:46   #47

Boat: Wauqueiz Pretorian 35

thank you so much for your posting your progress as it has absolutely cleared up a few of my questions before I get started. I will try to do the same once i get started to hopefully encourage others.

Cheers

Aaron
AMFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 14:08   #48

Just a bump for the thread. I am about to start my build and wondered how Captain Obvious was making out? Also curious to hear from other builders if they have any insight as to pitfalls to be aware of or things they might have done differently in hindsight?

Cheers
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 02:01   #49

Boat: Morris Justine

I wish I had used less epoxy to keep the weight down. You can always add more after you have used the dinghy for a season and see a weak spot.
MooGroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 05:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooGroc View Post
I wish I had used less epoxy to keep the weight down. You can always add more after you have used the dinghy for a season and see a weak spot.
Did you glass inside and out? Or just outside? What kind of ply did you use?

I am using domestic fir which is a bit heavy to begin with and is also prone to checking in the face veneers so am inclined to glass both sides but haven't made up my mind. Prolly should.
Old 19-12-2015, 05:19   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Did you glass inside and out? Or just outside? What kind of ply did you use?

I am using domestic fir which is a bit heavy to begin with and is also prone to checking in the face veneers so am inclined to glass both sides but haven't made up my mind. Prolly should. Would prefer to keep it light but have moral issues with the use of Okume.
I built a Spindrift 10N. It is not covered in glass, just the seams are taped. I used 6mm
Okame (sp?) marine grade plywood. It was great to work with. But I should have made the filet's smaller and used only one coat of epoxy on each side of the ply.
Old 19-12-2015, 05:37   #52

I take it you painted over the top of the epoxy? Has the boat seen much use/abuse? Or does it get babied, only used occasionally?
Old 19-12-2015, 05:59   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I take it you painted over the top of the epoxy? Has the boat seen much use/abuse? Or does it get babied, only used occasionally?
It's not painted or babied but it doesn't get much use. Just a few weeks each summer during our cruise. If I was heading south, I'd probably paint it white.

One advantage of building you own dinghy is that you can easily repair any damage that occurs, so there is less of a reason to baby it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-s-IMG_1460.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	115290  
Old 19-12-2015, 06:49   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Danny green chameleon nesting dinghy

@delancey--Don't go cheap, get okoume! Although "life" has caused me to pause my project the complete hull of my spindrift weigh 20-30 pounds. I can pick it up myself.

Do take the time to compare weights of the different woods.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 07:42   #55

Personally I can't accept okoume for two reasons, one structural and one ethical. Cost is not the issue. I have worked with it before and am quite familiar with it's virtues and deficits. But thanks for the input, I can certanly appreciate your concerns with regards to weight.
Old 19-12-2015, 08:19   #56

Boat: Casacde 36

There were a couple of items, in the plans, that proved to be out of station, when lofting it onto the ply sheets, but they are reasonably obvious and easy to correct.
I'd follow the same curvature, but increase the radius a little, to increase the clearance that the forward transom has above the waterline, when being rowed with a single occupant.
Reduce the height of the two aft buoyancy chambers by about 1 1/2 inches, so that you can put a cushion on the seat and enable two to sit across the stern, when necessary.
Make sure you bolt the two center bulkheads, as per the instructions, to keep them from moving when filleting them in.
Cover the inside floor of the hulls with light cloth, to protect from abrasion.
I use mine every year, for the past four, for some five months each, as my only tender. It has held up really well, You'll love it.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 08:38   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
I'd follow the same curvature, but increase the radius a little, to increase the clearance that the forward transom has above the waterline, when being rowed with a single occupant.
Looks like the depth of the curve on the top of the mating bulkheads is 5", how much would you suggest reducing it? 1/2"? maybe 1"? Thanks!
Old 19-12-2015, 10:20   #58

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

As I said in my post above, we sold our nesting dinghy due to it being overweight and difficult to move. I ended going with Hydrotek marine plywood and should have chosen a lighter/thinner wood along with less fairing. With epoxy, paint, wood and plans, I had approx $1600 into the dinghy without the sail kit.... where the money went, I'll never know But I'm pretty sure most of the money ended up getting sanded off and in the ShopVac.

Matt
Old 19-12-2015, 12:53   #59

If like myself you are looking for a dinghy that performs like a pickup truck rather than a SUV built on an automobile chassis consider the following when you purchase your wood:

Weight - Building the rowing only version of chameleon out of Okoume instead of Douglas Fir will save maybe around ten pounds or ten percent of the designers suggested weight of a hundred pounds. A little bit more than the weight of a gallon of water.

Quality - 5 ply 6mm BS 1088 rated Okoume will feature a better quality lay up than a domestic 3 ply 1/4" APA marine grade Douglas Fir. The DF will also likely have a couple footballs on the A-side but if you are epoxy coating you should be painting anyway.

Cost - True Llyods certified BS 1088 Okoume will easily cost twice as much as domestic DF not including shipping. Be advised there are others claiming to be built to the BS 1088 spec from France and Israel but not certified for less money and others made in China marketed as marine grade available for even less money still but of dubious quality. Know what you are buying or beware.

Strength - Douglas Fir has nearly 50% greater modulus of elasticity and 30% greater crushing strength than Okoume. When you are dealing with very thin material to begin with that difference in strength is significant. Be advised the spec for 6mm BS 1088 allows for finished product to be as little as .21" thick. FWIW my domestic 1/4" DF is . 267" thick. True, very thin Okoume will be that much lighter than DF, but it will also be much much weaker.

Durability- unlike Douglas Fir which is rated as moderately durable, Okoume is rated as non-durable. Sure, you're epoxy coating it so no worries right? All depends on how much abuse you dish out and what kind of maintenance you are willing to put into it. Rot happens. Repairing rot on stitch and glue construction can be a pain.

Ethics - Okoume is listed on the IUNC Red List as vulnerable. Douglas Fir is listed as least concern. If you live in the states consider that Okoume plywood starts out life as a raw material in an African equatorial rainforest, gets cut down and shipped across an ocean to a European nation for manufacture, then gets shipped across another ocean to this country before it finally gets shipped one last time to your doorstep so you can build yourself a dink.

Meanwhile the domestic DF comes to you from a temperate forest in your own country which means all your money stays right here instead of being spread around countries like rape capital of the world or it's neighbors where there is little accountability for environmental issues or human rights.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:20   #60

Boat: Casacde 36

No No; just the radius of the two forward hull sections, along their keel/ centerlines, to encourage the bottom/ center corner of the bow transom to be just a little higher, maybe only an inch or so.
By the way, don't worry too much about what kind of plywood you use. The outside surfaces will be covered in cloth & epoxy, the other surfaces you can paint with epoxy and still have some left over, if you buy the quantity suggested in the plans. Basically, teh ply is there only to give it substance.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy