Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 07:15   #61

Re: Danny green chameleon nesting dinghy

Great. Thank you!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 18:01   #62

Boat: Wauqueiz Pretorian 35

I am currently stitching my Chameleon up and started thinking about Hatches.

I was going to purchase a flush deck access hatch for the front deck. thought I would ask if you guys have had better luck with one brand or type than another as far as ruggedness and most importantly keeping the water out!

Or am I better off just building the one from the plans?
AMFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:32   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFE View Post
I am currently stitching my Chameleon up and started thinking about Hatches.

I was going to purchase a flush deck access hatch for the front deck. thought I would ask if you guys have had better luck with one brand or type than another as far as ruggedness and most importantly keeping the water out!

Or am I better off just building the one from the plans?
I have a new unused Tempress one if you are talking plastic. I think it's roughly 12 x 10 or something like that. PM me if it works for you and I'll make you a deal.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:59   #64

I may take you up on that chek, let me do some research first.
Old 05-04-2016, 14:48   #65

Boat: Casacde 36

I just built the one from the plan, secured with a webbing strap and clasp, never had any water in there yet.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 20:14   #66

I purchased one of these for mine. It does say it is not watertight but it is pretty good. Just ass covering I think.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=4
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 21:20   #67

Is the sailing version worth building? how often do you guys use and how practical is the sailing aspect of the dingy? My original thinking was just to build the boat to row and motor to use as a grocery getter/explorer but I am at the point where If I think I want to give it the sailing option I should do it now while it is easy.

Is it worth the added weight effort and storage space for the mast rudder ect...on the boat (35 footer) for the sailing option?

This will be my tender.
Old 15-04-2016, 00:18   #68

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Is the sailing version worth building? how often do you guys use and how practical is the sailing aspect of the dingy? My original thinking was just to build the boat to row and motor to use as a grocery getter/explorer but I am at the point where If I think I want to give it the sailing option I should do it now while it is easy.

Is it worth the added weight effort and storage space for the mast rudder ect...on the boat (35 footer) for the sailing option?

This will be my tender.
Think of it as your life raft. Properly prepared you can sail into safety or a shipping lane when the worst happens, way better than a wobbly rubber raft.

El
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 04:45   #69

Quote:

This will be my tender.
I was at the recently at same point in the process, although a bit behind schedule and under some pressure to complete, wondering the same thing.

Decided it really wasn't that much effort to make the daggerboard case and mast step now vs trying to add them later.

Daggerboard, rudder, rig can all be made after the fact at your leisure or not at all. I think it's good to keep you options open.
Old 15-04-2016, 06:21   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Its my understanding okoume comes from reasonably well managed forests and the trees are fast growing.

"meranti" is sort of a generic term for tropical hardwood most of which is logged in a very unethical way in Indonesia.

Fir plywood is just not a very good product. OK for bulkheads in larger boats and some structural reinforcement but required lost if glass and fairing to get a good finish.
Old 15-04-2016, 09:00   #71

Boat: Casacde 36

I did, and would again. this design has decent underwater foils, so can climb to windward quite well. The sprit rig was an unexpectedly good performer; when hit by a gust, the top just twist off to leeward and the boat hardly heels at all. Sails like a witch.
We, and our kids have spent many hours sailing it over the past 3 years. You will too!
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 15:04   #72

Ok, I have the extra sheet of plywood to make the sailing version so i am thinking I might as well go for it and it sounds like it might be fun.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-05-2016, 17:20   #73

Another member asked me about the dagger board trunk. I decided to do things a little differently than the designer specified. I think my way is stronger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	124178  
Old 11-05-2016, 17:26   #74

I decided to run the dagger board trunk all the way forward to the bow locker and to not cut the forward mating bulkhead in half.

The void forward of the dagger board trunk will be filled with foam and then covered up with a hardwood cap.

I did leave a hole in the aft face of the forward mating bulkhead and will attach a block to the forward side of the aft mating bulkhead similar to what the designer has on the plans.

I presume the purpose of this is to help with alignment when bolting the two haves together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	124179  
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55   #75

Curious as to what people have done for keel and skeg protection from abrasion during beaching over time.

I have done some research and Dynel is popular with the Kayak people and I thought might be a good light weight option.

I dont really want to put the "Keel shield" brand type product on due to cost mainly as i have found you can really pour a lot of money into this project if you are not careful, but may be the best option.

Ever heard of or tried splitting something like a 1" copper water pipe and shaping it to the keel for a rub strip?

My skegs are solid white oak which are pretty rugged, should I Fiberglass these all over and put something on them for abrasion protection too or just keep the bottom of the skeg bare wood and replace after they wear out over time?

Suggestions?

Tags
dinghy