Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2022, 22:39   #271

Re: Danny green chameleon nesting dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
3. For me it is difficult but possible to reboard in deep water.

I am neither young nor thin but can climb over the stern without causing the boat to take on water.
A suitably sized and attached loop of rope hung over the transom would probably be all that's needed to help with that.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:42   #272

Boat: Tartan 3800

This winter I've built a center cart for my Chameleon that slots into the daggerboard case.

It's experimental. It's big and heavy and doesn't collapse, but I'm evaluating its strength and utility. Mainly I anticipate using it, not while cruising, but while hauling the dinghy around with a car to explore lakes and rivers. There are many situations where I can't park close to the water and would rather wheel everything to the water's edge in one trip than portage one piece at a time.

I've drawn out a collapsing version, and could get lighter wheels for more money.

Old 24-04-2023, 09:30   #273

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

You can tow it nested on a Harbor Freight folding trailer really nicely
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 11:07   #274

Main idea is not road towing but rather moving along a lengthy sidewalk, path, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230226_134847832.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	274514   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230226_134911048.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	274515  

Old 28-03-2024, 18:15   #275

Hi Folks,
I have a post of interest for those who are cruising and like me occasionally end up anchored in a place where the water quality is not good enough for a RO watermaker, but there is good potable shore water available. This was the case for us is in Central and South America, and now in Whangarei New Zealand. I have a bladder tank and use the desk wash hose and a transfer pump with a cable with 12v cigarette lighter adapter on the end, and hose fittings. The tank holds about 45 gallons of water and fits under the seat nicely for rowing in and out to shore. When not in use I roll it up flat and store it. It takes much less space than the equivalent 9 jerry cans and many less trips and is easy on the back. Probably cheaper than the equivalent jerry cans. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A648733A-5ACB-4DF5-BCD5-EDC7A434DEAA.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	288206   Click image for larger version

Name:	72732310-DB0D-44B0-B70E-32837F799159.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	288210  

Old 28-03-2024, 19:19   #276

Hey Folks,
I have a pretty good question to ask. My dinghy is in awesome shape after over 20 years of use. That said whenever I store it hanging on the side of the bow of the boat I have to be Leary of potential rain and drop it if it does rain. Then bail it out after…
Has anybody put drains in the bow and aft sections? Rather than reinvent the wheel I thought I’d ask and see if anybody had and could post pics if it was successful.
I’m posting a pic of my hanging bridal setup. The rings the bridal is clipped to have been a hands down best substitute for cleats. The forward one has a dynema strop that goes thru the seat and into the locker where it is well structurally secured. The aft rings I tied into the traveler line for the sailing rig and go thru the corner blocks and the line is knotted. Note the aft corner blocks I put under the rails and not over, and it was a huge strength advantage by distributing the loaded down the rails for lifting and the traveler line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A0A8816D-D86F-40F9-8700-852B33A08406.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	288216  
Old 28-03-2024, 19:49   #277

Nice work on the bridle. I have 1" holes in all the quarter knees, and they're all thoroughly glassed in. I use them for lifting with a 4-part sling rather than 3-part.

Drains. Have thought about bailers like dinghy racers use but they're a cut hazard to hands when the boat is on the foredeck. Atwood has recently come out with a battery operated bilge pump that uses 4 D batteries. I use it with rechargeable NiMH batteries and have a charger for them aboard. Simplifies bailing out but does not allow the dinghy to stay hoisted during the rain. Not sure if there's a good solution. Wish there was a good way to have limber holes so that the bow section could somehow drain into the stern section so that it would not be necessary to bail the bow section given the awkwardness of doing so next to the daggerboard case.
Old 28-03-2024, 22:06   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Nice work on the bridle. I have 1" holes in all the quarter knees, and they're all thoroughly glassed in. I use them for lifting with a 4-part sling rather than 3-part.

Drains. Have thought about bailers like dinghy racers use but they're a cut hazard to hands when the boat is on the foredeck. Atwood has recently come out with a battery operated bilge pump that uses 4 D batteries. I use it with rechargeable NiMH batteries and have a charger for them aboard. Simplifies bailing out but does not allow the dinghy to stay hoisted during the rain. Not sure if there's a good solution. Wish there was a good way to have limber holes so that the bow section could somehow drain into the stern section so that it would not be necessary to bail the bow section given the awkwardness of doing so next to the daggerboard case.
The bridle is all based on the stainless rings and hooks. It just worked out. The nice thing about the placement of the bridle and lines is that the stress on the middle connected frames area is minimal compared to if you use the bow tip and stern transom as hanging points. The front section bridal attaches just aft of its mid balance point so the front section pushes slightly up and back into the back section to some extent rather than the whole weight of the boat having a prying effect on the bolted together mid section when it’s hanging.
Anyhow, I did run into this dinghy pump today and thought I could maybe make something up with one or 2 of em. But I’m still looking for anybody’s creative draining ideas. One issue I have here is if you leave your dinghy in the water for any amount of time whether you bottom paint it or not it’ll get fouled pretty quick.
https://www.unimer-marine.com/produc...an-bilge-pump/

Tags
dinghy