Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2024, 08:35   #16

Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: Classic Boats?

Also… I like your boat!
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 08:36   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Understandable critique. Very sparse interior by today’s standards. Definitely scoring highest marks in the beautiful category.

I will add fiberglass decks aren’t nearly as maintenance free as is commonly believed. Most people with fiberglass decks just don’t maintain them. That’s why the market is saturated with soft deck sailboats.
My boat is a 1974 and the deck is fine. I just paint it periodically.

As far as space.

Catalina 36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-36-mk-ii/

Not as seaworthy, but more speed and space.

Plus with today's electronics hopefully you can avoid really bad weather.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 08:47   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Are boats like this realistic to own instead of the Catalina’s etc you see filling marinas?

Absolutely stunning.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...ee-36-7233797/

Realistic to own? Depends on your goals, but, no.

The main problems are:
  • Insurability.
  • Usable deck and cabin space compared to newer designs of similar length.
  • Extraordinarily high costs of maintaining exterior wood in 2014 as compared to 1968 (etc).
  • Performance and handling.
In the 1960s and 1970s, teak prices were lower, availability was higher, DIY boatyards were more prevalent, and safety and environmental regulations were more lax. It was then common for boat owners to sand and refinish exterior wood themselves while the boat was on the hard in open air. There are many places where that is no longer possible, where boats have to be moved into an indoor paint booth for such work, or at least tented.
Old 22-02-2024, 08:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
My boat is a 1974 and the deck is fine. I just paint it periodically.

As far as space.

Catalina 36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-36-mk-ii/

Not as seaworthy, but more speed and space.

Plus with today's electronics hopefully you can avoid really bad weather.
36 has a really good layout. Unfortunately, every one I’ve looked at has serious water intrusion issues. I think in the closer to six figure range you can find some really good ones.

The baba 30 i shared is well over $50k though too, so maybe at its price you’d find good 36’s
Old 22-02-2024, 10:23   #20

Quote:
36 has a really good layout. Unfortunately, every one I’ve looked at has serious water intrusion issues. I think in the closer to six figure range you can find some really good ones.

The baba 30 i shared is well over $50k though too, so maybe at its price you’d find good 36’s
There was a Baba 30 on Yachtworld for $20,000 or so until recently.

I paid $2,000 for my boat in 2011 so I guess I'll stay with that one for now.

I'm hearing though a nice Alberg 30 may be up for sale soon for around $10,000.

It has a Hydrovane, running backstays, new rigging, cutter rigged, etc., but it has an outboard in the well which is fine for me. Other potential buyers may not agree though.

There is a Catalina 37 a couple boats down from me in the yard, and it looks really roomy.

I did notice though the owners are having the lower port reinstalled.
Old 22-02-2024, 10:25   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

When you are offshore and the weather turns to snot, the old time classic's will simply lift their skirts and keep on truckin' with nary a creak nor groan.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 10:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
When you are offshore and the weather turns to snot, the old time classic's will simply lift their skirts and keep on truckin' with nary a creak nor groan.
Yep, they are definitely the more seaworthy boat which is why I have one, but I was hugely influenced by the old cruisers I knew from the 1990's who didn't have as good of weather reporting electronics as we have today.
Old 22-02-2024, 11:11   #23

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

There are plenty of modern boats that will handle rough weather with ease. Ovni's handle a blow as good as anything and they are basically just huge dinghies.

SOME classics are perhaps less forgiving of sail handling laziness.. Our old BenBow would allow you to put off reefs, sometimes for the entire squall just by easing the main off or adjusting the windvane to windward slightly. Our Ovni would get very squirly if you try and treat her that way. In some ways she required you to sail her attentively.
Old 22-02-2024, 13:11   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I haven’t seen one yet but the CL 36 has a good rep among folks whose opinions I respect. My friend has a Cheoy Lee 30, also a Luders design, and she sails beautifully. His hull has had some osmotic blistering but she’s still sailing just fine. The 36 being earlier may not have that issue. If it still has the teak deck that might be a deal breaker, not sure.

As an owner of a classic boat I’d say, to answer whether they are “worth it” really depends on what you value and the condition of the boat and its original build quality. I’m about to spring for a haul out and paint job for my 60 year old boat. And once I am done I will have spent enough to buy a newer, more modern, design. But I like the boat I have. And I know every inch of her. It is small, not roomy compared to others, tender and has lots of little things I’d like to get done on her. But I’m not inclined to trade her in yet. Besides my kids would mutiny if I did.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 15:20   #25

Boat: Tartan 40

I went from an older classic (1966 Luders 33) to a newer classic (1987 S&S Tartan 40) and of course it’s faster. But it also heels much less, hobbyhorses less, and still stands out.
So I’m biased toward pedigreed beautiful boats, but there are newer ones that make a leap forward in performance and seakindliness
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 15:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I haven’t seen one yet but the CL 36 has a good rep among folks whose opinions I respect. My friend has a Cheoy Lee 30, also a Luders design, and she sails beautifully. His hull has had some osmotic blistering but she’s still sailing just fine. The 36 being earlier may not have that issue. If it still has the teak deck that might be a deal breaker, not sure.

As an owner of a classic boat I’d say, to answer whether they are “worth it” really depends on what you value and the condition of the boat and its original build quality. I’m about to spring for a haul out and paint job for my 60 year old boat. And once I am done I will have spent enough to buy a newer, more modern, design. But I like the boat I have. And I know every inch of her. It is small, not roomy compared to others, tender and has lots of little things I’d like to get done on her. But I’m not inclined to trade her in yet. Besides my kids would mutiny if I did.
The teak decks are sooooooo sexy
Old 22-02-2024, 17:27   #27

Quote:
Until they get water under them.
Old 22-02-2024, 17:50   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Perhaps, but safe sex practices say that you should always admire them on other people's boats and wear shoes while walking upon them.

Jim
Old 22-02-2024, 18:53   #29

Is it not the case that relationships predicated on mere sexiness tend to be rather fleeting and quite expensive?

If it's mere sexiness you are after, even in a boat, then do what sensible men do and rent one:-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 19:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps, but safe sex practices say that you should always admire them on other people's boats and wear shoes while walking upon them.

Jim
LMAO!!!!

Tags
boat, classic