Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 18:58   #1

Choosing a sailboat!! ⛵️

Hey guys. I’m new here and this is my first post. I hope to get a good advice.
There is three kind of sailboats that still heavy in my mind. Maybe for some people is just a stupid question but I want to see opinions. What sailboat you think could be a great live aboard but also a safe, strong and whit good performance?
1- Hallberg Razy 36 cc (year 98, 99)
2- Island packet 350 (year 98, 99)
3- Endeavour 35 (year 86, 87)

Thank you for advices and opinions!!

Cheers and fair winds!!
Lonelysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 19:04   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Choosing a sailboat!! ⛵️

You probably ranked them in order already, 1,2,3
Old 02-11-2019, 19:06   #3

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Where do you plan to sail and what's your level of experience? Thx-Ace
Old 02-11-2019, 19:09   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Big difference between a 20 and 30 year old boat. The first you mention would be the only one I’d choose.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 19:13   #5

Yes. I want to go sailing. Is not a boat for keep in the marina or sail just in a river. I have some experience sailing snd whit sailboats. Regardless of price I want a good sailboat between these three. I have a Endeavour 40 cc now. But plans just changed whit my wife.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:39   #6

If you have an Endeavour 40cc now, what is it you seek to gain by making a change?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 13:25   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The HR36 is a great sailboat that will take you anywhere. Buy it.

The Island packet is comfortable, with big tankage and shallow draft. But not a great sailor, especially upwind. Also, I've read that the chainplates are glassed in, making them impossible to inspect and expensive to repair. Very relevant when buying an older boat.

The endeavor 35 is a heavy and strong boat, but not nearly as nice as the HR35, IMHO.

Given the choice, I would choose the HR36 without hesitation. In fact...if its near me, send me the contact info and I might buy it myself.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 15:28   #8

Boat: Oday 25

The HR would be my choice ( Ive owned 8 boats, the current one is the smallest due to age)
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:41   #9

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

I think it would be between the IP and the HR without question. I would choose the IP.

The IP is going to be a reasonable performer. Great on the reaches and runs, extremely well balanced, and sea kind. Adding a Genaker or Code Zero is a great way to wake up the light air performance of these boats. The IP's have amazing use of interior volume. They are well laid out, have good tankage, lots of storage and systems are accessible. Some complain about the tanks location and difficulty of removal, but how many ever need to be removed? It's a rarity I'm sure. Others complain about the chain plates being glassed in. I know a lot of boats have been redone and many didn't really need it, but since you're already there you may as well. I imagine you could find one that the plates have been replaced pretty easy. I'm glad they don't have teak decks. The cutter rig is going to give a host of sail play options over a sloop.

What about compromises? Well she's a full keel boat so the price for that easy motion at sea is going to be less maneuverability around the dock and making sure your speed is decent to tack. Maybe find one with a bow thruster to solve the docking problem. What about upwind performance? Well she'll definitely track well and not put much strain on the auto pilot with her keel design, but most cruiser's typically don't beat to weather much anyway. I'm sure someone else will point out the good aspects of the HR, which is great. But for me, it would be the IP.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:36   #10

Thank you mjgill1. For sure I will keep on mind your opinion!!
Personally I like Endeavour. If we put $$$$$ on the table a good IP is around 115 k and a good endeavour about 35k. What if you put 75k for improve the endeavour??

������
Old 04-11-2019, 07:18   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

None of the three is about performance.

You mentioned three old boats so expect typical set of old boat problems when you buy.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:33   #12

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelysailor View Post
Thank you mjgill1. For sure I will keep on mind your opinion!!
Personally I like Endeavour. If we put $$$$$ on the table a good IP is around 115 k and a good endeavour about 35k. What if you put 75k for improve the endeavour??

������
I pulled this from another thread.

"After looking at 5 35's here are some things we learned in our search:
- If any moisture gets into the Klegecell cored deck it causes larger than normal problems. And a repair shop familiar with this coring needs to be employed. All but one of the boats we looked at had problems.
- The mast step is a very corrosion prone area. All the boats had had this are repaired.
- All owners and brokers claim it is a "tender" boat. Good or bad, you'll have to decide on that one.
- All the boats had leaky ports. A "common" Endeavour problem.
- For a cruiser they have respectable speed. Three of the boats had a handfull of trophies to their credit.
- When maintained they sure look better than most of the marina stock." It's all personal preference IMO. You have to decide what's best for you and what boat will serve you best. I'm not sure I would have much interest in a 30 year old boat unless is had a long list of documented repairs and upgrades. I guess if that was the case, it would be right up there in price with the newer boats anyway so you're back at the original question. Which boat serves me best?
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31   #13

Boat: Hunter 36

I very nearly bought a HR36 recently. It's a beautiful boat, and very comfortable inside. But that's a tradeoff, because more interior space = less storage space, and the lack of it bothered me. I couldn't even figure out where I would put all the fenders. Leave them on the marina until I get back?

The center cockpit is on the small side, although that could be a plus in cold weather, along with the built in windshield.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 13:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You probably ranked them in order already, 1,2,3
Yes I think so too. But I have a special feeling for Endeavours...
Old 07-11-2019, 03:36   #15

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
I think it would be between the IP and the HR without question. I would choose the IP.

The IP is going to be a reasonable performer. Great on the reaches and runs, extremely well balanced, and sea kind. Adding a Genaker or Code Zero is a great way to wake up the light air performance of these boats. The IP's have amazing use of interior volume. They are well laid out, have good tankage, lots of storage and systems are accessible. Some complain about the tanks location and difficulty of removal, but how many ever need to be removed? It's a rarity I'm sure. Others complain about the chain plates being glassed in. I know a lot of boats have been redone and many didn't really need it, but since you're already there you may as well. I imagine you could find one that the plates have been replaced pretty easy. I'm glad they don't have teak decks. The cutter rig is going to give a host of sail play options over a sloop.

What about compromises? Well she's a full keel boat so the price for that easy motion at sea is going to be less maneuverability around the dock and making sure your speed is decent to tack. Maybe find one with a bow thruster to solve the docking problem. What about upwind performance? Well she'll definitely track well and not put much strain on the auto pilot with her keel design, but most cruiser's typically don't beat to weather much anyway. I'm sure someone else will point out the good aspects of the HR, which is great. But for me, it would be the IP.

Not sure you're familiar with the Hallberg Rassy line of boats when you make this statement. They are the rare combination of of good sailing characteristics and great boat to take you anywhere. Number 1 on the list presented is number 1. I've been on two IP 35's and they are nice. Impressed until my first run in with a Rassy.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat