Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 11:19   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Bounty II Thread

Should be able to get info. at latitude38.com if they have an ability to search back issues. The rudder on his Bounty jammed. Doubt it was the wheel steering system as that sould have been easy to disconnect so something in the rudder/gudgeon and pintles.

He borrowed a boat and did the Single Handed TransPac in 2012 IIRC. Had a bit of excitement on the return when the keel fell off. Luckily it was near the end of the passage and they were able to sail the bought to SF. Think he's off cruising SoPac now.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 12:05   #17
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
Thanks for telling me about the rudder issue, but is Ronnie OK? Do you know where could I read more about it?
Yeah, he's doing well and very active with some wounded warrior/veterans programs. His old Open Blue Horizon blog is down now (recently), but can follow him and possibly contact him on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Ronnie-Simp...88191/?fref=ts

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 12:28   #18

Talk about a 'Zombie Thread' Resurrected in 2009, then 2011, then again in 2016. This started 8 years ago. In 'forum years' that is a few generations.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 20:05   #19

I owned a Phillips Rhodes Design Bounty II for about 10 years. I had a lot fun on the boat. I can't imagine the deck ever leaking. The boat is way over built in glass as my understanding is they still used the wood standards when working with glass. The boat's original engine was an Atomic 4 but had been replaced with a Perkins 4108 which worked great and never gave me any trouble. I converted the cartridge oil filter over to a screw on filter with an adapter plate you could buy for the Perkins engine. My Bounty had a tiller no wheel. My dad built a custom teak dining table with a removable slot cover in the middle where I could store wine bottles. There just never seems to be any where to store wine bottles on a sailboat. In the forward berth my dad lined the hull inside with teak since the boat was just painted there. The boat seems to point well but seems to lean over about 30 degrees before it kind of locks in.

I wonder from time to time where the boat is now. It was documented and the name was the Phoenix. I sold the boat about 15 years ago.
coxhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 21:58   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I just bought a Bounty II from 1957. Does anyone know if there is a specialized section for this beauty or other threads about it? I am in search for info of engine refit, hull number, deck fabrication, etc. Any insight will be appreciated.
Welcome here, you are now an honorary member of the Plastic Classics group! There is a good link there to a complete refit of its cousin, the Pearson 41
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics
and some others:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - refits of note
Welcome to our Web site
Bounty II-Rhodes 41

post some photos! 1957, an early hull number! I am not positive but I think the hull number may be on a bronze plate around the rudder post in the cockpit floor or on the aft bulkhead... not sure...check here too
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...160329-16.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 22:07   #21

That extreme heel seems to alarm some of the younger folks, but once you get used to it I think you'll love the old school way of doing things when it comes to sea-kindliness.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-05-2016, 22:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Talk about a 'Zombie Thread' Resurrected in 2009, then 2011, then again in 2016. This started 8 years ago. In 'forum years' that is a few generations.
I think the Bounty II may be the 57 Chevy of the sailing world, forever resurrected and still turning heads. It's one of those boats where someone will probably chime in with "I found one half sunk in a bayou, I pulled it out, bailed it out and sailed it around the world."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-05-2016, 08:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Just like the boat, it keeps coming back from the ashes.
Old 30-05-2016, 21:40   #24

Thanks for the responses. Can't believe Cyanosure was left behind, what you Don must have felt... a real loss after such exquisite result. I guess it hasn't been found. Really sorry (
Mine will need a lot of work but it will be done while on the way. The interior of mine is all white with very little teak but I have plenty that I have salvaged so it will be put to use eventually. My priority is to get on way by December so the bottom, engine and rigging are first in the list. Then go through the electrical and electronics. At the moment I'm stepping the fiberglass mast since I lost both halyards trying to sail it from Stewart to Miami. I need 4 more steps to reach the top and run the new(used) halyards, pretty freaky without a safety, but I am clipping three times as I make progress. I will post pictures of my progress so you can comment on. Its name was OUR TERN, if it helps someone to recognize its past ownership. I will call it "FIRE HORSE". Thanks again to all and "stay wet"!
firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 11:58   #25

I have been at the top but only on the halyards. It was 57 feet down. My boat was a sloop. I had a power boat blow through one time when I was up there. It is not fun swinging back and forth at the top.

The boat sets so low in the water it is easy to heat in the winter time. We used oil lamps. It is amazing how warm it will stay. Of course this is in Texas and the water is not real cold.

Have fun on your new boat.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:12   #26

It is definitely not a boat for everyone. There was one across the dock from me for 10 years when I was much younger. It had no wood showing as I recall, even the tiller was bronze. It is a boat with a lot of length for not much hull, or beam. Some folks would walk by and make fun of it. I was always drawn to its lines and I recall once an older friend with lots of sea time said to me "That's a Bounty" with a reverence to suggest we were in the presence of a divine creation. I never saw the boat go out, but it was always meticulously maintained, and it never went up for sale though I heard many people did try to contact the owner to make offers.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-06-2016, 03:15   #27

The Bounty II had high gunnels which had 4 inch wide teak all around the boat that needed to be sanded and varnished every 3 years. It was a lot of teak which took about 3 days to sand and a day or 2 to varnish. Probably a few other things but can't remember any more.

The beam on the Bounty II is 10'3". Kind of narrow for todays standards.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:46   #28

I am not certain but I think they originally they came with a rubber or fiberglass cap on the rail. At least the one I knew had a rubber cap on the toe rail, well, high gunwale! and I think it was all original.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-06-2016, 05:15   #29

This one has the rubber cap rail. Its all original inside with very little teak although I will adding some more by recycling. Light brown swirly mica on doors and drawers. Jelco is cracked and needs addressing before painting. Overall I'm happy with my new toy a and I'm sure we'll go far. Can't find the attachment option...
firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 20:03   #30

Enjoy your Bounty II as I did. I found I could sail a lot of places instead of motoring using a large sail made of light Dacron. I think the foot was 31 feet. You could sail by the top tell tell when the bottom ones would not move. I don't remember the weight of the Dacron as it has been too long but it worked well. If the wind picked up you needed to change sails as it was too light for high winds. Something to think about. I want to add the sail worked maybe to 8 knots at the most. If the wind was 5 or 6 knots the boat moved fairly well. No need to power sail.