Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31   #31

Re: Bounty II Thread

I should of stated head sail above but I guess you figured it out.

Here are a couple of pictures of my boat 30 years ago. Before GPS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RhodesBountyII.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	125722  
coxhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 16:58   #32

Nice pictures Coxhaus, good memories for sure. I'll look into the light jib option for sure. I'm waiting for good weather to finish the mast stepping. I can't find the attachment option, could someone tell me where it plz? Its not in advanced either. Want to upload some pictures.
firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:21   #33

My mast went through the fiberglass deck and through the floor and stepped on the bottom of the keel. There was a step for the mast to fit on. If this is what you are asking?

If you are asking how to raise it we used a loop under the spreaders to raise the mast.
coxhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:56   #34

I meant that I have to finish installing the four last steps I'm putting on the mast to reach the top since I lost both halyards...
Old 23-06-2016, 05:53   #35

I finally brought it back to Miami. I reinforced the tip on the mast with epoxy and unidirectional carbon fiber. I changed the forestay. I did this while moored by lowering the furler into a dingy followed by a paddle board and a second dingy at the end. It never touched the water and took it to shore to be measured and that way was able to change the 5/16" cable and reusing the stay locks. In reverse back to the sailboat.
I departed on Saturday afternoon being tower by a friend out the inlet and off I went. I wasn't aware a northeastern was just starting to roll in. When I had cleared the coastline it was already night time. I tacked using only one which we the right side was stuck. I tried reefing the jib using the same winch which proved the be an error as the lines tangled and by the time I sorted things out the jib had a v shaped tear on the luff side. I decided to ease the pressure reefed the jib and carried on. The following seas and thunderstorms were about everywhere and for my little experience sailing it was a bit worrying. I then noticed the lines were desintegrating, the outer core was gone on the left sideline so I managed to change lines for good ones while on way by reefing the jib. Luckily the wind had eased after the first set of storms. I went on sailing with a torn reefed jib until the wind had eased enough that I decided to take a nap because l was exhausted. At 4 am a huge tug boat trolling a gigantic barge woke me up and rolled by me so close. I ate a little and carried on. The wind started picking up on Sunday and the front was alive with 20 mile wind and 9 ft following seas, but the Bounty never lost course. It felt really safe and by now my confidence in it had been reassured. I made it to Miami Monday afternoon. When I reached Haulover I decided to open the full jib and my speed increased to 7 mph. I had a reading of 9 mph at one point, I guess with the help of the following waves. This boat really felt as a roadster as Don said. I couldn't be happier with it and now I know what I needs to be improved to make it safer and more comfortable.
Old 23-06-2016, 08:54   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Great to hear of a great old boat coming back to life!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 15:18   #37

Yes Don it's going to be a pleasure to work on this boat and I'm planning on circumnavigating with it as well.
Sorry I had it wrong regarding the loss of the boat, it was Ronnie who had to leave it behind not you. So do you still have yours? I looked at all your pictures and the outcome was a priceless work of art, congratulations! Do you have more pics of the finished boat? I could only find a few.
Old 01-07-2016, 19:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
Yes Don it's going to be a pleasure to work on this boat and I'm planning on circumnavigating with it as well.
Sorry I had it wrong regarding the loss of the boat, it was Ronnie who had to leave it behind not you. So do you still have yours? I looked at all your pictures and the outcome was a priceless work of art, congratulations! Do you have more pics of the finished boat? I could only find a few.
That link was to a refit of a Rhodes 41 that I WISH were mine! I posted it at the plastic classic group because it was just such a beautiful inspiration. My own boat is a bit smaller, but still a classic, and I am in the slow process of making her beautiful again too, but I want to sail too! Hard to do both! Good luck on yours and keep up the good work!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-07-2016, 09:11   #39

Thanks Don, I really appreciate the pictures. I am in the process of reviving the M4 30 that needs some attention. I'll keep you posted with the progress.
Old 17-07-2016, 14:17   #40

I just got back from a short cruise of 5 days with a friend on his Cheoy Lee Luders 30. A fine and sturdy little boat, not very high volume but as time goes on I am in the minority in preferences... as most want more interior volume and less length, I continue to appreciate the lower volume and a longer deck of our our old school designs....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-07-2019, 13:55   #41

Boat: Rhodes Bounty 2 40'

An update to this message. We are still proud owners of Tiare, an heirs to Curtis's 20 year ownership. Please email me on benscottrobinson at gmail.com
Bcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 13:19   #42

Hi, I would like to know how you fit the Perkins where a 4M 30 Universal Diesel was. I am looking for an engine that will fit without raising the floor. Any pictures and info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 28-07-2019, 09:37   #43

Hello there. We bought Tiare with a Yanmar 3GM30, which we had to replace with a 3YM30 pretty.much straight away. The floor is raised to fit it, but we have built in a sink, galley worktop with a horseshoe seating/double bunk underneath.
Old 28-07-2019, 09:43   #44

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will look into that engine option. Would it be possible to see a picture of the refit? I am worried of loosing the overhead...do you remember how much was the floor raised?
Old 28-07-2019, 10:12   #45

Hi there! The overall headroom in the doghouse is still 6', with a 9 inch step down into the main cabin... Which is also 6ft.

I have a couple of photos, but probably not the detail you're looking for!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190317-WA0000.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	196770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190317-WA0002.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	196771