Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 10:29   #3631

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
Sugar Scoop
I think I would enjoy easy in and outs for swimming, snorkeling and dingy boarding. Maybe even pull the dog back in? What is there under 30K?
This one seems fair, I think they are under the magic number 2 in capsize.

1988 Hunter 33.5
$15,000
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...63511390771224
only two photos

I wonder if it's legit?

This Hunter sits cross the dock from my boat in Deale MD... not clearwater FL. It has not left dock in over a year. plan on replacing every single bit of running rigging. a couple stanchions need to be bent back /replaced. plan on a bottom job. its got growth, a lot. Last time i was at my boat, it looked like someone had visited the boat pretty recently. nothing externally appears to have been done.

I'll be back on my boat next week and take pics if anyone is interested. I did ping the seller to ask him if the boat was in Clearwater...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 11:09   #3632
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
This Hunter sits cross the dock from my boat in Deale MD... not clearwater FL. It has not left dock in over a year. plan on replacing every single bit of running rigging. a couple stanchions need to be bent back /replaced. plan on a bottom job. its got growth, a lot. Last time i was at my boat, it looked like someone had visited the boat pretty recently. nothing externally appears to have been done.
I'll be back on my boat next week and take pics if anyone is interested. I did ping the seller to ask him if the boat was in Clearwater...
Well, thanks for that. We await developments!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 12:16   #3633

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Well, thanks for that. We await developments!
Me: Rick, hey saw the ad and recognized the boat. you may want to check your location as the boat isn't in clearwater

Rick: Thanks karen

Me: Def not a karen, I figured maybe there was a typo and the location defaulted to florida since Clearwater is a long way from Deale MD. and maybe you missed the location mix up. Sorry for trying to help.

rick: I live in CW, and FB defaulted to Florida. I Didn't bother to change as there are a lot of New Englander's down in FL this time of the year.

Me: OK good luck with the sale.

I'm not sure what New Englander's in Florida have anything to do with a boat in Maryland. Interesting sales model.

not a hateful price but I can see 5k out the door quick. more if you farm out most of the work. if anyone wants better pics of the exterior I'll be close by on wed/thursday shoot me a PM.

I am not the seller...I do not know the seller... Would ne nice to have another neighbor in the marina that uses their boat...
Old 28-01-2022, 13:43   #3634
SuW

Quote:
Me: Rick, hey saw the ad and recognized the boat. you may want to check your location as the boat isn't in clearwater
Me: Def not a karen, I figured maybe there was a typo and the location defaulted to florida since Clearwater is a long way from Deale MD. and maybe you missed the location mix up. Sorry for trying to help.
rick: I live in CW, and FB defaulted to Florida. I Didn't bother to change as there are a lot of New Englander's down in FL this time of the year.
I'm not sure what New Englander's in Florida have anything to do with a boat in Maryland. Interesting sales model.
not a hateful price but I can see 5k out the door quick. more if you farm out most of the work. if anyone wants better pics of the exterior I'll be close by on wed/thursday shoot me a PM.
I am not the seller...I do not know the seller... Would ne nice to have another neighbor in the marina that uses their boat...
Thanks for taking the time, Rick. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess!

"Interesting sales model."

Not only location³ but at least a helpful attitude from the owner are big selling points, in my mind!
Old 28-01-2022, 14:11   #3635

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time, Rick. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess!

"Interesting sales model."

Not only location³ but at least a helpful attitude from the owner are big selling points, in my mind!

I'm marc, rick is the seller as with any purchase of a vehicle caveat emptor. Its possible rick doesn't know squat about the boat and hes selling it for a departed relative, or rick realizes that his dream of sailing is now over and his wife told him to sell the damn thing and he's pissed.

It wouldn't scare me off of buying the boat, more pics would help. but there's probably a reason there are only those two pics...
Old 28-01-2022, 14:19   #3636

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Not my listing, but an interesting boat. Does anyone know anything about these? It's a North Coast 30

ninja edit: I guess there were only 5 made so it's probably not very well known.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4449387819695/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 2.15.58 PM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	252077  
SailingHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 14:19   #3637
SuW

Quote:
I'm marc, rick is the seller as with any purchase of a vehicle caveat emptor. Its possible rick doesn't know squat about the boat and hes selling it for a departed relative, or rick realizes that his dream of sailing is now over and his wife told him to sell the damn thing and he's pissed.
If he were in that situation, surely he'd price it higher? (I've known of these kind of cases.)
Perhaps we're overthinking this!
Old 28-01-2022, 14:47   #3638

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
Re: Cal 2-46 sailboat

[QUOTE=Celestialsailor;3563892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Cal 2-46 sailboat - $6,500 (Kaneohe HI/QUOTE]

Probably the worst written ad I have ever seen. I get that he wants people to realize the boat needs a lot of help and needs to be moved but it comes off as negative.
I think this is a great ad. Boats in Hawaii, $$ to work /moor/ anything boat in Hawaii. Boat has termites, buddy is honest about it.. I guess as FG boat termites aren't the worst thing....but imagine if all the bulkheads etc need doing, that's a lot of cheese. He is caveating the emptor.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 15:06   #3639

Quote:

Thanks for the informed comments

Sure makes you wonder about some people. What are they thinking! F-em if you know what I mean, he failed to mention any of the stuff you noticed. There are no marinas in the map he included either. I find that when people don't have to pay for advertising they play a lot of games. FB, Craiglist and others I'm sure. Maybe when someone blocks out the registration numbers, hailing Port, boat name or on cars license plate numbers they are upto no good.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 15:22   #3640

Well here is another Face Book boat
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-1e07a4c18e14
Can't remember if I posted this one already. This is the same boat Christian Williams on youtube and author has. https://youtu.be/Oz8wpl9YG1o
It looks to need some sprucing up but seems too cheap.

What I wonder about is the chain plates inside and visible( I like that). I guess this is rod rigging? It goes from chain plate to rod but back to a fitting to pass through the deck then back to rod or wire. I wouldn't want to sit next to them during a thunderstorm but they do look strong.

Old 29-01-2022, 17:14   #3641
SuW

Quote:
Well here is another Face Book boat
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-1e07a4c18e14
Can't remember if I posted this one already. This is the same boat Christian Williams on youtube and author has. https://youtu.be/Oz8wpl9YG1o
It looks to need some sprucing up but seems too cheap.
What I wonder about is the chain plates inside and visible( I like that). I guess this is rod rigging? It goes from chain plate to rod but back to a fitting to pass through the deck then back to rod or wire. I wouldn't want to sit next to them during a thunderstorm but they do look strong.
As you say, it seems cheap, but it needs more than sprucing up.

The overhead in the V-berth around the hatch is missing. The floor throughout looks bad, perhaps water damage?

6 opening ports and two hatches. Lots of light. At least one fixed port (port side) has leaked.

Wheel steering.

Canvas (probably) and upholstery (certainly) needs replacing. No dodger. What condition are the sails? Mast needs painting.

How old is the engine? No picture of electrical panel/nav station. There's a lot of wiring or plumbing hanging down behind the port sofa.

Damaged anchor (Danforth-type). That's useless. No windlass.

Old boat, old gear (probably). Hull gelcoat is chalky.
It says there's a dinghy, but no indication of type/condition.

Having internal struts is nice* (imo) but I don't think it necessarily means rod-rigging. The lowers might be wire. Hard to tell.

It's a project. These had a reputation as fast racer/cruisers.

*Having the shrouds on the inside of the side decks is good, from the point-of-view of going forward.
Old 29-01-2022, 17:28   #3642
SuW

I'm posting this because it is interesting, not necessarily a recommendation. I've never seen one of these before.

1981 Martin 32 sailboat with trailer $29K Canadian (~$23K US) in Alberta, Canada.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/st-...ler/1603668645

We were talking about trailer-sailers before; it's pretty unusual to be able to put up the mast and self-launch a boat this size!

Seller takes it to BC to sail.

I'd like to see more inside pictures; all I can see is there's a Dickinson-style heater.
Old 29-01-2022, 18:27   #3643

Quote:
As you say, it seems cheap, but it needs more than sprucing up.

The overhead in the V-berth around the hatch is missing. The floor throughout looks bad, perhaps water damage?

6 opening ports and two hatches. Lots of light. At least one fixed port (port side) has leaked.

Wheel steering.

Canvas (probably) and upholstery (certainly) needs replacing. No dodger. What condition are the sails? Mast needs painting.

How old is the engine? No picture of electrical panel/nav station. There's a lot of wiring or plumbing hanging down behind the port sofa.

Damaged anchor (Danforth-type). That's useless. No windlass.

Old boat, old gear (probably). Hull gelcoat is chalky.
It says there's a dinghy, but no indication of type/condition.

Having internal struts is nice* (imo) but I don't think it necessarily means rod-rigging. The lowers might be wire. Hard to tell.

It's a project. These had a reputation as fast racer/cruisers.

*Having the shrouds on the inside of the side decks is good, from the point-of-view of going forward.
I can imagine there is a lot of work to do, and thats just what you seen in the photos. But if it's legit they are asking a low price for the beast. Most people would probably price it way high and wait for offers. I seen a Morgan Heritage ( like a Morgan Out Island) I can't remember 36 -38 something like that advertised around here for I know what must be a year, & probably much longer. 25K and never dropped. Some sellers are stubborn, they think of the money they put into it and think they are going to get it back. Ericson boats aren't balsa cored hulls like many of the Canadian boats of the era. That would be scary, buying one of those. And Ericksons are fairly quick. A PHRF of under 120, you could make some good miles. Shave days off a long trip compared to the heavy cruisers. Would probably demand a little more attention though, would cut back on relaxation time.
Maybe a bad idea.

BTW you have a good eye for critically looking at the boats. I would miss half the stuff.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:17   #3644

57 years old, narrow beam, short water line. Still sailing
1965 Pearson Vanguard 33

33'$16,000
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1965...rd-33-8157351/
Old 01-02-2022, 07:28   #3645

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
57 years old, narrow beam, short water line. Still sailing
1965 Pearson Vanguard 33

33'$16,000
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1965...rd-33-8157351/

I especially like the Red Oak flooring which will deteriorate with any water that gets to it. The carpeting on the hull sides is a nice touch also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price