Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2021, 09:42   #2131
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblakenyc View Post
No answer to his phone? And one of his ads includes his direct email.

Gotta be a drag if this looks like great opportunity for you. It does look amazing but I'm not ready for a project boat.

I sent him multiple emails, I wasnt able to find a phone number on any websites hes posted an ad on. Craigslist/yachtworld/sailboatlistings
Fresh Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 13:58   #2132
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ventura, California
Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Posts: 323
Images: 11
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
To see if the mast has a curve in it, you'll need to be there in person and sight up the mast. If so, it may be just a matter of tuning the rigging. If it has a lean to it, more likely it is just something heavy in the boat on one side. One reason the racing boats are cheaper is that the sails may be old and the interiors very spartan. They may not be as competitive so folks lose interest in putting any more money into them. A sail that has lost a good competitive shape may still be fine for cruising for a few more years and if you don't mind the interior, it might be a fun choice. The other thing is that they are usually laid out with multiple crew in mind, so it may be a reach from the wheel to the sheets if you are singlehanding. Oh wait, it has a tiller. never mind.



If you hold something with a straight edge in front of your eye as a guide, you can see that the mast is definitely not straight right around the gooseneck area. There's another shot from the starboard quarter ahead that also shows the mast taking on an angle right above the boom.

As designed by Bruce Farr, it's a race boat designed for light air with a big rig and lots of sail area. You know the winds we can have here- 10-12 knts along the coast 25 knts 10 miles out. 25 knts is a lot for that rig without reefing.

From the ad, it's set up for single handing with lazy jacks and extra winches.

Want to bet he went for a day sail in light winds alone and got out to where the winds picked up to the point he had a knockdown? Or was running a spinnaker and a pole downwind and broached because the early IOR style hull design makes it squirrely downwind? Either mishap could bend the mast right at, or just a few inches above, the gooseneck if it was violent enough.

The boat's worth 20K in fair or better condition. With a bent mast, it's a 5k boat with what I estimate to be a 20k repair bill. If not more.

I really freaking want it. And I mean I want it bad. But, I'm not going to pay that much for it, and another 20k, then have to wait a few months while it's fixed.

But, if someone happens to have a spare Farr 33 mast lying around looking for a boat to put it on, here's your opportunity.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 17:47   #2133
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Super Disko Motor Sailer RV on the water - $20,000 (Walled lk) Near Detroit

This is a 1993 boat and the ad doesn't mention any issues. If that's the case, this is a pretty sweet deal.


https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...294928532.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 19:24   #2134
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 13,072
Images: 58
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
If you hold something with a straight edge in front of your eye as a guide, you can see that the mast is definitely not straight right around the gooseneck area. There's another shot from the starboard quarter ahead that also shows the mast taking on an angle right above the boom.

As designed by Bruce Farr, it's a race boat designed for light air with a big rig and lots of sail area. You know the winds we can have here- 10-12 knts along the coast 25 knts 10 miles out. 25 knts is a lot for that rig without reefing.

From the ad, it's set up for single handing with lazy jacks and extra winches.

Want to bet he went for a day sail in light winds alone and got out to where the winds picked up to the point he had a knockdown? Or was running a spinnaker and a pole downwind and broached because the early IOR style hull design makes it squirrely downwind? Either mishap could bend the mast right at, or just a few inches above, the gooseneck if it was violent enough.

The boat's worth 20K in fair or better condition. With a bent mast, it's a 5k boat with what I estimate to be a 20k repair bill. If not more.

I really freaking want it. And I mean I want it bad. But, I'm not going to pay that much for it, and another 20k, then have to wait a few months while it's fixed.

But, if someone happens to have a spare Farr 33 mast lying around looking for a boat to put it on, here's your opportunity.
You could be right, but distortion in photos makes it hard sometimes. It's not that far, drive down and have a look! Not to be too negative, because it looks like a really fun boat, but for coastal cruising I see a bouncy ride and a cockpit pretty exposed to cold spray and hard to stretch out in. If you're ok with that then no problem.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 06:13   #2135
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ventura, California
Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Posts: 323
Images: 11
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You could be right, but distortion in photos makes it hard sometimes. It's not that far, drive down and have a look! Not to be too negative, because it looks like a really fun boat, but for coastal cruising I see a bouncy ride and a cockpit pretty exposed to cold spray and hard to stretch out in. If you're ok with that then no problem.

The bouncy ride is expected because it's built to race in light air not cruise comfortably for an extended period. The wet ride can be worked with, or ignored. The biggest problem (barring the mast issue) is that I'm not ready for a boat like that yet.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 15:23   #2136
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

42' voager hunter - $10,000 (St thomas)

Worst pictures ever. Not a bad price for a 1990 boat. No telling what "Vessel needs tlc" means? It almost sounds like there's a new engine waiting to be installed.

https://virgin.craigslist.org/boa/7295784464.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:08   #2137
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,228
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
42' voager hunter - $10,000 (St thomas)

Worst pictures ever. Not a bad price for a 1990 boat. No telling what "Vessel needs tlc" means? It almost sounds like there's a new engine waiting to be installed.

https://virgin.craigslist.org/boa/7295784464.html
It's haunted. I've got a keen sense about these things.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 18:19   #2138
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,228
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Looks like water damage on the cabin sole. Details are needed for this one to know if the price is a good deal or not.
1988 Caliber
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailboat/27...MAAOSwgptgWge4
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 19:42   #2139
Registered User
 
ben2go's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate, SC USA
Boat: Looking
Posts: 368
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Looks like water damage on the cabin sole. Details are needed for this one to know if the price is a good deal or not.
1988 Caliber
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailboat/27...MAAOSwgptgWge4



If that is the same Cailber I was told about, it was partially submerged by rainwater leaking in and no operable bilge pump. It never was disclosed if the engine went under enough to get water in it. The person relaying the info to me said it was shin deep. Take it for what's worth. I would definitely check it out if I was closer. I can paint, polish/replace wood, and replace soft goods pretty cheaply.
__________________
Go with Flo. She's Progressive.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 22:52   #2140
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
It's haunted. I've got a keen sense about these things.
Either that, or the photographer got PBJ smudges on his lens from the sandwich he had at lunch.
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 19:42   #2141
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

1982 Bruce Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter
45' $7,500
Fort LAUDERDALE, FL
This may or may not be a deal depending on how much of the interior is gutted.


https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1982...utter-7821961/
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 20:54   #2142
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 62
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Catalina 27 heavily modified for offshore sailing. Not sure how well it was done though.



https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...300795908.html
Mastermuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 21:14   #2143
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 13,072
Images: 58
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermuffin View Post
Catalina 27 heavily modified for offshore sailing. Not sure how well it was done though.



https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...300795908.html
wow
I never would have thought to do that with a Catalina 27
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 21:26   #2144
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 2,867
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermuffin View Post
Catalina 27 heavily modified for offshore sailing. Not sure how well it was done though.



https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...300795908.html
If Port Townsend did it then it was well done. Looks like a great deal.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:49   #2145
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NSW, AUSTRALIA
Boat: SUN MAID 20
Posts: 48
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Looks awesome.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.