Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 13:35   #76

Boat: 48' steel cutter
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

I wrote this a couple of years ago: "Get yourself a 30 footer and go!"

Get yourself a 30-footer and go!

This summer we spent 3 months on the Chesapeake, exploring dang near every river from Hampton Roads to Havre de Grace, and I was in a bunch of boatyards.

Something I conclusively learned this summer is that boatyards are FULL of semi-dead sailboats that the yard does not want to own, or where the boat-owner is in serious arrears and has "walked away." Since I wrote "Get yourself a 30 footer and go!" I have had feedback from numerous folks who have literally been given a "dead" sailboat in a yard. Free, or after clearing the overdue yard bill. The yard doesn't want it taking up space, and the owner doesn't want to see his or her former dream boat chopped up with a chainsaw and deposited in a dumpster (the typical final resting place of a dead boat in a yard.)

One boatyard manager offered me a 28 footer on the spot if I could take it away. He said he cuts up 25 footers for the dumpster every other week. Yep.

So my advice: cruise the back-lots of boatyards for "dead boats." You will see them under old decayed and frayed blue tarps, mildew staining the north sides of the hull. Make the yard an offer, or ask the yard to be a go-between with the owner-of-record, who is in arrears. The price might be the overdue yard bill, or just, "Take it out of here." You will be amazed. I was.

Old fiberglass boats don't die, they just get nasty and are forgotten. (Until they are chopped up for the dumpster.) But underneath the mildew and chalking of a forgotten sailboat is a beautiful restoration project waiting to happen.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 14:25   #77

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post

This summer we spent 3 months on the Chesapeake, exploring dang near every river from Hampton Roads to Havre de Grace, and I was in a bunch of boatyards.

Something I conclusively learned this summer is that boatyards are FULL of semi-dead sailboats that the yard does not want to own, or where the boat-owner is in serious arrears and has "walked away." Since I wrote "Get yourself a 30 footer and go!" I have had feedback from numerous folks who have literally been given a "dead" sailboat in a yard. Free, or after clearing the overdue yard bill. The yard doesn't want it taking up space, and the owner doesn't want to see his or her former dream boat chopped up with a chainsaw and deposited in a dumpster (the typical final resting place of a dead boat in a yard.)

One boatyard manager offered me a 28 footer on the spot if I could take it away. He said he cuts up 25 footers for the dumpster every other week. Yep.

So my advice: cruise the back-lots of boatyards for "dead boats." You will see them under old decayed and frayed blue tarps, mildew staining the north sides of the hull. Make the yard an offer, or ask the yard to be a go-between with the owner-of-record, who is in arrears. The price might be the overdue yard bill, or just, "Take it out of here." You will be amazed. I was.

Old fiberglass boats don't die, they just get nasty and are forgotten. (Until they are chopped up for the dumpster.) But underneath the mildew and chalking of a forgotten sailboat is a beautiful restoration project waiting to happen.
I read your article. IMO a huge restoration project is not a good idea for a young sailor/first time buyer. The reason boatyards and marinas offer such cheap prices is because the buyer might be an idealist like you and me but they don't realize that the $1000 boat might need $20k-40 to refit it if you do it yourself. Then you can sell it for $10k. Buy a small and well equipped boat for $30k. After reading this forum, working on your own boat is a way to keep costs down but it doesn't translate to "equity" or resale value.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 14:47   #78

Boat: 48' steel cutter

LL CoolDave, it all depends on the person and the situation, and the skills and drive a person brings to a restoration project. It ain't for everybody, that's for sure. But I've seen it pulled off many times by folks who did have the skills and the drive. And they didn't do it to flip the boat for a profit, but to go cruising.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 14:47   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I read your article. IMO a huge restoration project is not a good idea for a young sailor/first time buyer. The reason boatyards and marinas offer such cheap prices is because the buyer might be an idealist like you and me but they don't realize that the $1000 boat might need $20k-40 to refit it if you do it yourself. Then you can sell it for $10k. Buy a small and well equipped boat for $30k. After reading this forum, working on your own boat is a way to keep costs down but it doesn't translate to "equity" or resale value.
: thumb:

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 07:58   #80

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco41 View Post
I am not going.to look at anymore boats. Big.or little. Love this site tho
Lol , yea riiight!
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:05   #81

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
Lol , yea riiight!

Looks like you are finding out quickly how this whole couples sailing thing works.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:12   #82

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post

You can find boats for $1,000 - $2,000 like that but you better check out the whole boat entirely.

If the desks etc or soft, Forget about it.

If the interior is wet/damp you probably don't want the boat.

If it doesn't come with sails, and some basic equipment GPS, Depth, VHF, etc it will cost you near maybe $10,000 to get it ready to sail

Boat size is a factor as well. The larger the boat, the more it will cost

My boat was a $2,000 boat but was an estate sale and was loaded with equipment and two newish jobs.

I still put another $6,000 in it. Plus it was a Bristol which are known to be good, well made boats.

My boat still needs to have the interior and the decks painted, water tank replaced, VHF Antenna reconnected, etc.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 09:01   #83

Boat: Tucker 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Bozhkov

I have a Jeanneau sunshine 36 for sale.
Greece,PREVEZA,in good condition.Asking price is 23000€
Old 29-09-2015, 10:26   #84

Hahah. I know. Temporary frustration. Lasted 5 minutes
Crisco41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 12:37   #85

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post

Looks like you are finding out quickly how this whole couples sailing thing works.
After 29 years together, I know what's up.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 16:58   #86

Lol. It's an obsession
Old 29-09-2015, 16:58   #87

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Well, there goes another great thread.

The zombie apocalypse has already happened, get over it.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 17:03   #88

Is that sailor talk currently I don't understand it
Old 30-09-2015, 09:55   #89
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Folks!

This posting is to bring up an example of a type of boat that one might find if looking for Boats Less than $30K on the market today. This type is designed as a "racer/cruiser" and was designed specifically to compete in the rules for IOR One Ton boats. There were many of these types of boats built in the 1970s and some into the 1980s. So, if you are looking around for lower priced boats you might see some similar hull shapes. Notice the shape in the drawing. See how the boat has a fine bow and a "pinched" stern. This characteristic design is to meet a specific racing rule. This type of boat, designed during this IOR rules era were optimized for racing, so don't expect them to be optimum for cruising.

Ericson 37.4' Flush Deck 1974

Asking Price = $18,000
LOA = 37.4
Beam = 11'
Draft = 5'8"
Location = Florida
Rig = Masthead sloop
Displacement = 16000 pounds
Ballast = 8000 pounds
SA/D = 15.55
Bal/Disp = 50%

SA = 613.17 ft2 / 56.96 m2
SA/Displ = 15.51

1974 Ericson Flush deck sailboat for sale in Florida

Steady's Observations on this boat:

1.The sale listing says several updates/refitting things have been done, and that the boat is painted in Awlgrip. Here is the Sale Listing:
"Gone through bottom up new thruhulls, bearings, shaft, prop, wiring, hoses. Pumps, holding tank, water tank, hull painted with awl grip, deck was not painted . Lots of new rigging and lines. Cushions in and out, mast rewired engine refurbished."
2. The engine looks remarkably clean.

3. One thing I don't like is the lack of opening portlights for ventilation and light. If I bought this boat, I would install a Bimini, Dodger, and several Dorade vents with large cowls, if the intention was to cruise in Florida or Keys or Bahamas.

4. Also notice this boat is a Flush Deck boat. It does not have the more commonly seen "trunk cabin." Some sailors prefer a flush deck boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ericson_37_drawing.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	110247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson 37 1974 Flush Deck $18K SBL dock.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	110248  

Name:	Ericson 37 1974 Flush Deck $18K SBL deck.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	110249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson 37 1974 Flush Deck $18K SBL cockpit.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	110250  

Name:	Ericson 37 1974 Flush Deck $18K SBL engine.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	110251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson 37 1974 Flush Deck $18K SBL nav.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	110252  

Name:	Ericson 37 1974 Flush Deck $18K SBL salon.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	110253  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 13:47   #90
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Last night I came across another Ericson 37 1974 boat for sale. I am posting this one because it is on the West Coast and is similar to a previously posted boat (where I listed the specs of that boat).

1974 Ericson 37 IOR Flush Deck Sailboat -

Asking Price = $14,000
Location = San Francisco Bay Area

Noteworthy:
The engine has only 350 hours on it.

More photos shown on the sale listing.

1974 Ericson IOR Flush Deck Sailboat - Liveaboard

Caveat Emptor! Buyer Beware!
I have no connections to the seller of this boat. Posting a photo here or information about a boat does NOT constitute an endorsement of that boat or that brand or that seller of the boat. The buyer should still "beware."

The buyer should always ask: In what condition is it?

As with any purchase of any large boat, it is wise to have the boat surveyed by a professional Yacht Surveyor prior to purchase. If you are a newbie and don't have much experience with sailboats, this is especially important.

Good luck hunting!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ericson 37 Flush Deck 1975 $14K CL deck.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	110326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson 37 Flush Deck 1975 $14K CL Galley.jpg
Views:	1215
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	110327  

Name:	Ericson 37 Flush Deck 1975 $14K CL Interior.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	110328  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price