Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 12:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40CC
best galley you've seen on a midsize cruiser

All-
What is the best galley you've seen on a midsize cruiser? We're shopping for a 37-43' center cockpit cruiser for a 2-10 year livaboard adventure. We probably won't cross oceans, but cruise the Caribbean, East Coast, Maritimes, Great Lake and maybe through to the West Coast of Mexico. Love sailing, but this adventure will be about seeing and enjoying the beauty of the coasts.
We've developed firm criteria on the standard issues, but the Admiral is a wonderful cook and I am a wonderful eater (perhaps even too wonderful) and I feel we may have missed an important piece of the puzzle.

Generally like the standard U-shaped galley, but center cockpit boats often tuck the galley into the passage to the aft cabin and that is kind of cramped. So 2 questions- what is the best galley you've seen/worked in in a midsized cruiser? and what is the best upgrade you've made to your galley?

Thanks for your opinions.

more than just ...

Dreamin'
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 05:47   #2

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: best galley you've seen on a midsize cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
center cockpit boats often tuck the galley into the passage to the aft cabin and that is kind of cramped. So 2 questions- what is the best galley you've seen/worked in in a midsized cruiser?
I kind of like those galleys, plenty of storage and everything is within easy reach.

For galleys on newer boats I really like the Dufour design, on the 470, 500, 530 and maybe others, with the galley across the beam and on both sides of the boat. Feels like a huge kitchen at home. Like this example.

I believe all models also fully integrate a bbq grill into the transom which is awesome. They aren't totally to my taste in other ways, but they got that part right.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:19   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

DreaminFred, in my opinion you already have the perfect cruising galley/boat, the Pearson 365! Anything else will be a letdown.

Of course I am prejudiced toward the 365 since I have had one for 20 years, so please forgive my exuberance.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:23   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The galley “tucked into the aft stateroom passage” is the best design in terms of safety and convenience especially for a cruising lifestyle. I personally don’t get how shape or expanse makes someone a better cook.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:19   #5

Unlike other posters, I have a deep antipathy to the passageway galley, especially on "mid-size" (<55 feet) cruising boats. It means the passageway needs to have full standing headroom, and that raises the cockpit so high the entire design looks top heavy and unwieldy (to my eye).

With a sink outboard against the hull, you also have to worry about if it drains on all tacks, or overflows when you are rail-down... On boats in the size range the OP is talking about a passageway galley is not often just not workable.

Finally, it puts the cook "out of the way" and out of touch with what's happening on deck both socially and operationally.

I had a Northstar 80/20 40' center cockpit ketch that had a "proper" galley. Small enough to easily brace yourself in all conditions, yet big enough to prepare a real meal. It can be done.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:46   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Unlike other posters, I have a deep antipathy to the passageway galley, especially on "mid-size" (<55 feet) cruising boats. It means the passageway needs to have full standing headroom, and that raises the cockpit so high the entire design looks top heavy and unwieldy (to my eye).

With a sink outboard against the hull, you also have to worry about if it drains on all tacks, or overflows when you are rail-down... On boats in the size range the OP is talking about a passageway galley is not often just not workable.

Finally, it puts the cook "out of the way" and out of touch with what's happening on deck both socially and operationally.

I had a Northstar 80/20 40' center cockpit ketch that had a "proper" galley. Small enough to easily brace yourself in all conditions, yet big enough to prepare a real meal. It can be done.
Personal preferences aside, most galleys I’ve seen place the sink inboard. That’s a design choice, not a consideration in a well-designed galley.

As to the headroom issue, that too is a design issue with respect to how the galley floor is designed to accommodate headroom. Most can easily fix that with a step-down arrangement in smaller boats but don’t because of labor (read - cost) considerations.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:03   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

That would be ours .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31C1BE29-96E4-4524-A1BA-6351B8CF0CFD.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	230860   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD6ADE4C-89B9-48E3-9916-BA1C16D565A3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	230861  

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:41   #8

Private message sent.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:45   #9

IMHO it seems like a lot of 'modern' features are driven by opinions of newer buyers who are attempting to emulate the open, entertaining spaces of a home. While the older styles are more designed for the practicality of those who've done passages.

What one seas as 'cramped', others see as 'secure'. There is a benefit to being able to brace against one side, while working on the other. The open styles are great for a entertaining during pot-luck at calm anchorage.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:48   #10

Boat: 1985 Cal 35 MKII

I really dig the galley in my 1985 Cal 35 MKII and with 90 gallons freshwater, separate shower and head, 6'4 headroom, a large v-birth and a 34 horsepower diesel motor, look at it as the perfect cruiser for that trip.
Rwflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:19   #11

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

What size is a mid-size cruiser to you?

I'm familiar with three CC cruisers 44' and 46' and a 51' Formosa, but none had the galley tucked into the passage. If that were the case, it would be difficult to pass aft if someone was busy in the galley.
A good friend's Cheoy Lee 44 had a really fine galley to port, passage to starboard. That galley had a huge sink, 3 burner stove and lots of countertop and storage. It was fairly well enclosed so you wouldn't be thrown out in a sudden lurch. If you were in the galley facing to port you had the cockpit ladder behind you, sink to your right, freezer/reefer to the left and stove in front of you.

Our Morgan 46 has a less elegant galley but we have no problem cooking here. We have the galley to starboard and passage to port.

Smaller than 44' you have to make too many compromises to interior design of a CC boat, and IMHO aft cockpit makes a more liveable interior for a smaller cruiser.
Old 22-01-2021, 10:33   #12

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
That would be ours .

That is gorgeous. What type of boat is that?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 11:13   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
All-
What is the best galley you've seen on a midsize cruiser? We're shopping for a 37-43' center cockpit cruiser for a 2-10 year livaboard adventure. We probably won't cross oceans, but cruise the Caribbean, East Coast, Maritimes, Great Lake and maybe through to the West Coast of Mexico. Love sailing, but this adventure will be about seeing and enjoying the beauty of the coasts.
We've developed firm criteria on the standard issues, but the Admiral is a wonderful cook and I am a wonderful eater (perhaps even too wonderful) and I feel we may have missed an important piece of the puzzle.

Generally like the standard U-shaped galley, but center cockpit boats often tuck the galley into the passage to the aft cabin and that is kind of cramped. So 2 questions- what is the best galley you've seen/worked in in a midsized cruiser? and what is the best upgrade you've made to your galley?

Thanks for your opinions. more than just ...Dreamin'
Some of the modern galleys I have seen are frankly too big. Like everything else on a boat there are tradeoffs. One of the galley photos presented earlier was just too big going from port to starboard...that's too big and I also didn't see and handholds...even in the waters you are talking about there will be waves to contend with. It needs to be compact for safety at sea but provide most everything a good cook needs within reach or absolute minimal distance.

Another point, deep sailboat sinks generally favor/near amidships because the affects of heeling are less toward the centerline...have you ever seen that photo of water pouring from the faucet and the sailboat on a 20 degree heel. I loved my previous boat but the head sink was against the starboard wall; it took me years to determine that was were the leak was coming from.

Also consider where the freezer/refrigerator is located. Many boats place them very near the engine which is not the ideal position when trying to contend with engine heat in maintaining your cold temperatures.

Some consideration should be given to a location near the cabin entry as it is the handiest place to pass food and drinks up to the crew when underway without leaving the galley...imagine a galley in the center of a boat and carrying food to the cockpit while underway.

Successful galley design is all about a balance of the galley functions being performed and real world considerations aboard a boat which are very different than designing a house kitchen which will never heel...hopefully!

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 11:14   #14

Boat: O'Day 40

Our best galley up grade has been stainless steel counters.
Many galleys rely on a board on the stove for counter space.
That makes it really difficult to prepare a meal.
Old 22-01-2021, 11:14   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
That is gorgeous. What type of boat is that?
Thanks it is a Bestevear 49.

We designed the interior, so it would be strange if it did not ideally suit our needs, but limited space on yachts demands compromises so our ideal may not suit everyone.

Some of the features are durable stainless steel bench tops with a continuous lip so any spilled liquid is contained even when the boat is heeled. There is no silicon seal around the periphery to deteriorate and go mouldy. There are handholds almost continuously around the perimeter. Good security and hanging spots for tea towels etc. Large double sinks.

The space is ideal for bracing on both tacks.

Non swivelling solid domestic faucets for tank freshwater, drinking freshwater, and saltwater are available in both basins. All have foot pumps.

The GN Espace stove has been installed allowing a large gimbal angle and has a stainless steel surround to minimise cleaning and potential fire risk. A portable induction cooktop can be added on top, which maintains the gimbaling and makes maximum use of the solar power.

Above are some personal requirements that we incorporated into the build and may give others ideas.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, galley, size