Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 12:00   #16

Re: best galley you've seen on a midsize cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
That would be ours .
Maybe it could be added that - iirc - there is no hot water and there are footpumps. Meaning, less is more.

With the Admiral being a wonderful cook the main thing is settled Then, a well protected space (u-shape), I think is important. Drawers with a well-assorted choice of spices and plenty of ingredients which should be easily accessible. I recently bought good quality pans, and that was a good idea. Also I'm experimenting with an optional induction cooktop (which is wonderful but I'm not sure if I would bother if I had a normal gas stove instead of the Taylor (petroleum) and I'm still not sure how to do this out of the marina). In any case I think it is important that it is fun to work in the kitchen! Most probably the really elaborate dishes will be cooked at anchor or in a marina and not underway.

If you hadn't mentioned the "midsize" constraint I would have pointed you to the following. Maybe not even the best gallery, but the best "surroundings" (don't think I will ever see something like this in the next century...): https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/insp...line-Media.jpg, https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/insp...line-Media.jpg. Completely unattainable of course, but my take-away is, that (beautiful) simplicity is.. well, king!
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:11   #17

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
All-
What is the best galley you've seen on a midsize cruiser? We're shopping for a 37-43' center cockpit cruiser for a 2-10 year livaboard adventure...

Generally like the standard U-shaped galley, but center cockpit boats often tuck the galley into the passage to the aft cabin and that is kind of cramped. So 2 questions- what is the best galley you've seen/worked in in a midsized cruiser? . ...

Dreamin'
In that size range, and that sailing itinerary, the Catalina 42 (2-cabin) would seem to work well, but it is an aft-cockpit boat. The galley is roomy and has good storage.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:54   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30

The galley on our Bristol 45.5 worked exceptionally well. It was on starboard just by the companionway ladder. It was more than U-shaped with lots of counters and good storage. Really good for passing plates up to the cockpit or for conversations between the person cooking and anyone in the cockpit. Not sure if the 43.3 or 41.1 is similar. Before we bought the Bristol we looked at a Hylas. It had the passageway galley, really did not like it.
Old 22-01-2021, 13:00   #19

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I owned and cruised a '92 Catalina 36 for 10 years. Spent most of my time in the Pacific NW and Southern BC. Encountered a fair amount a rough water. I very much liked the U-shaped galley with the deep sink close to the center line of the boat. The U-shape allowed one person to easily brace themselves in-between the forward and aft countertops. The location beside the companionway made it easy to pass hot drinks and food up to the cockpit.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:01   #20

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
DreaminFred, in my opinion you already have the perfect cruising galley/boat, the Pearson 365! Anything else will be a letdown.

Of course I am prejudiced toward the 365 since I have had one for 20 years, so please forgive my exuberance.

That's much like the great galley and convertible dinette option of our lil' ol' '87 Catalina 30 years ago. Terrible quality old cell phone photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150214_Galley.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	230891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150214_Dinette.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	230892  

PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:37   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

Jeanneau 45 is quite nice. Near companionway and aft queen cabin, step down to starboard side but open to salon.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:48   #22

Hylas 46. We have the version with a walk-thru on both port and starboard, to and from the aft cabin. Safe at sea, lots (relatively) of counter space.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, galley, size