Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Multihull Galley-Up or Galley-Down
Galley-Up 33 62.26%
Galley-Down 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2013, 08:15   #1

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Multihull Galley Up or Galley Down

Catamaran Cruisers are very passionate about their boats, so this Galley-Up or Galley-Down poll is to see why you would choose one or the other.

Most new production catamarans like Fountaine-Pajot, Lagoon and Leopard are Galley-Up on boats upto 50 feet.

Please vote for your Galley-Up or Galley-Down preference with a description of why you like it that way.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:12   #2

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Multihull Galley Up or Galley Down

We went to the boat show for several years looking at the different designs. I understand the room advantage with galley down but really prefer it up and where all the action is going on. In our previous home on land, we enjoyed a kitchen/dining/living room all together because we are always cooking and conversing and everyone likes to gravitate to a kitchen. Although we are on the "smaller" side at 40', I don't really have issues with the space I have to work with. We routinely cook while on the go while someone is at the helm and it is quite nice to be able to interact with everyone. We also use all our berths/baths and wouldn't want to lose privacy for those rooms.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:34   #3

Boat: Oyster 55

I also have a galley up version now in it's forth year.
To me it matches our house where we have an open arrangement in the kitchen where the cook is not out of sight or conversation with guests.
It works for us however it would not discourage me from owning a Chris White design. :-)
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:48   #4

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
It works for us however it would not discourage me from owning a Chris White design. :-)
galley down, below 45ftish and above 50ft, up. I actually prefer the galley up, but being a tall guy, it just seems to be more practical in the smaller size cats to have it down. But, I wouldn't let the galley location determine my future purchase. As many threads have shown, compromises in every boat.

Happy New Year to all
Old 31-12-2013, 11:02   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We've had cats with Both, Galley down tends to give nice space and better storage, Galley up is easier to make food under way, wife less bothered by the motion when in a seaway in galley up. Galley up is more a part of the party!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:20   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I agree that it depends upon the size of the cat, but also upon her intended use. On cats below 40 feet, a galley up will inevitably have less counter space, less storage space and will virtually eliminate the possibility of a full-sized chart table/nav station with a proper seat near the companionway. It will also often lead to a galley that does not have proper bracing for use while underway in heavy conditions.

If you do not liveaboard or plan on making extended passages, then these will matter much less than the ease of access to the cockpit that makes daysailing/entertaining so much nicer with a galley-up: while it is possible to have a galley-down that is open to the main saloon, I have yet to see one that has direct access to the cockpit.

Of course, once a cat gets to be about 45 feet LOA or above, it is possible to have both a well-braced (U-shaped) galley with adequate counter and storage space, as well as a proper sit-down, full-sized chart table/nav station in the bridgedeck accomodation. At that point the principle arguments in favour of a galley-down are reduced, although they still keep the most heavy part of the accomodation and stores lower in the boat, thereby reducing its Cg.

In a larger cat, IMO a galley-down still makes better use of the 'tunnel' shape in the hulls than the commonly installed 'sofa facing a wall' that is included in the owner's cabin of many cats of that size. Afterall, why do many people like 'galley kitchens' in apartments? A small floor area surrounded by counters and cupboards on both sides is a very efficient use of space.

Looked at in another way - if I wanted an additional sofa/settee in my boat, I would want it in the main saloon.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 00:47   #7

galley down. You get a bigger galley and a bigger saloon.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:58   #8

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

(Quote)It will also often lead to a galley that does not have proper bracing for use while underway in heavy conditions.

I have made full course hot meals in our Leopards u shaped galley whilst bashing through 10 - 12 foot seas. Bracing is almost perfect
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:11   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Ive found that even on a 30' cat in horrible conditions "bracing" inside isnt a big deal or even needed. They just sail so much flatter and level. Kind of the same reasons alot of cat owners dont. use a tether going forward unless its really really bad out. Where as on a mono you need bracing in all but the calmest conditions to do anything due to healing.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:26   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Can I vote both ways?
Galley up for weekender/holiday/entertaining in warm climate.

Galley down for long term liveaboard/passagemaking and for colder conditions where you want more room in the bridgedeck out of the weather.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:46   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

How about two galleys: a conventional one down for day to day cooking, plus an upside down one up against the ceiling for those perrrfect post-flip meals

Happy new year my dear cat sailors!!!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

How about two galleys: a conventional one down for day to day cooking, plus an upside down one up against the ceiling for those perrrfect post-flip meals

Or how about making the entire interior of a monohull gimbaled? May save them from extinction!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:06   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Or how about making the entire interior of a monohull gimbaled? May save them from extinction!
Did you register patents or rights on that? If not, I may!

I once saw a cat with a gimbaled stove… it could swing all the way upside own!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:

Did you register patents or rights on that? If not, I may!

I once saw a cat with a gimbaled stove… it could swing all the way upside own!
I thought about it but as the mono heeled, the weight of the gimbaled interior would be on the wrong side. Damn things would just flip over like all the multis out there!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 13:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

A new year starts and the same tired old irrational and pointless trolling commences.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, hull, multihull