Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 14:11   #256

Boat: Pogo 10,50
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Could not font righting moments of neither small Jeanneau or Beneteau

LBS is more motor yacht show indeed, where Paris Nautic is more sailboat oriented. And Düsseldorf is everything
Have visited the same jeanneau 54 as AJ in Paris and galley does feel a little cramped, being 6ft1in I wasn't confortable accessing the washer-dryer at the back.
Other than that, adored the new interiors of jeanneau with nice rounded corners and clever storage everywhere, feels like a cooler home.

There also was a Wauquiez deck saloon 48 and both wood and leather work was pretty much perfect inside, cost seems pretty justified.

As for the main question, the closer answer I can provide is that I sailed the Oceanis 48 with the shallow draft in the BVIs, loaded with genset, full tanks, air conditioning etc and with the good breeze constantly blowing there (20-25 kts) I could achieve 10kts without stress going downwind, upwind wasn't as good but still about half wind speed up to 7kts SOG at 40-45° so pretty much as good performances as I felt I needed. Helming condition was great, and didn't spend much time inside but has no problem going around despite choppy waves and rolling at anchor.
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:40   #257
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
Some of us are very passionate about sailboats, others are into dock queens, and some are even into catamarans and trimarans, also known as glorified rafts / party barges with sails. It is what it is.

You're welcome

Funny, as our old 33' glorified raft/party barge which you don't consider a sailboat absolutely smoked a Super Maramu under sail. Makes me chuckle!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:53   #258

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Have to tell you I know nothing about Django so use a 32 Beneteau for comparison and it will make more sense to me. You may have chosen a boat that is a mini offshore 60 which would not be a fair comparison.
The Beneteau 32 is a coastal boat. There are lots of old 32ft that are coastal boats. The Contessa 32 is an old designed offshore boat, the Django 9.80 is a small modern offshore boat.

It makes sense to compare an old small offshore boat with a new small offshore boat, not with a small coastal modern boat.

It makes also sense to compare boats in the same price range. The Contessa 32 is still made and costs about 218 000 euros and that is not the price of the Django 9.80 but almost the price of its big brother, the Django 12.70 and that one having about the same stability of that Pogo 12.50, from whom I posted the stability curve, would have about 3 or 4 times the overall stability of the Contessa 32, meaning that it will need a 3 or 4 times bigger breaking wave to capsize it if compare with the one that will capsize the Contessa 32.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 16:09   #259

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Funny, as our old 33' glorified raft/party barge which you don't consider a sailboat absolutely smoked a Super Maramu under sail. Makes me chuckle!
I don't see what that has to do with my quote, with that being said: had I been after raw performance I would not have bought the Super Maramu.

Edit.
I tell you what thou, If you can load that raft / party barge up with as much water, fuel, gear, food etc as I can on my Super Maramu and maintain decent performance then get back to me. Oh, you can add a dive compressor for good measure.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 16:11   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The Beneteau 32 is a coastal boat. There are lots of old 32ft that are coastal boats. The Contessa 32 is an old designed offshore boat, the Django 9.80 is a small modern offshore boat.

It makes sense to compare an old small offshore boat with a new small offshore boat, not with a small coastal modern boat.

It makes also sense to compare boats in the same price range. The Contessa 32 is still made and costs about 218 000 euros and that is not the price of the Django 9.80 but almost the price of its big brother, the Django 12.70 and that one having about the same stability of that Pogo 12.50, from whom I posted the stability curve, would have about 3 or 4 times the overall stability of the Contessa 32, meaning that it will need a 3 or 4 times bigger breaking wave to capsize it if compare with the one that will capsize the Contessa 32.

THe Contessa 32 is simply a British cruising boat that was popular enough that it had is own one design class. It wasnt designed specifically for offshore sailing, it was simply a British design. The British have always designed their boats for rougher waters and sure it could be sailed offshore but almost all the small British boats could and we're sailed offshore. The British by and large didn't differenciate between offshore and coastal. These days yes the EU does but you can't compare a high production older cruising design to a current racing design, you compare it to a current cruising design. No one on this forum cares about a boat they will never own but I'm sure some here might be interested in how a current cruising boat stacks up with an old one. You featured a Dufour 31 a day or two ago why not compare the AVS on that boat to the Contessa??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 16:12   #261

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Thank's I'll keep it in mind I love sailboat shows, not just for the boats but it's a great place to meet people.

The Wauquiez Centurion 57 and the More 55 doesn't look very suitable as a blue water cruisers there's nowhere to sit facing forward, standing up behind the wheel and sitting at an angle isn't very comfortable for long.

Autopilot? Those do not change poor ergonomics and lack of comfort, and, they are not that reliable.
You are wrong. I have a boat of that type, well, more sportive and I had a back seat, in front ot the wheel all along the transom that served as "passarela" when taken off.

I found out that it was only comfortable for motoring and as I motor very little put it for sell since I never had it mounted. This is the way modern boats are sailed (when steering by hand), seating on the side. It is much more comfortable and several positions are possible:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 16:13   #262

@Robert
The English. I don't think you should include the Scots and the Welsh saying British. Credit where credit is due.

@Polux
I wasn't aware that the Wauquiez Centurion 57 and the More 55 had such seats, I could not see it on their respective homepages. It is possible I missed it and they have such versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux
This is the way modern boats are sailed (when steering by hand), seating on the side
There are modern sailboats on which you are given both options, seating on the side as well as forward.
Old 11-01-2017, 16:17   #263
smj

Quote:
I don't see what that has to do with my quote, with that being said: had I been after raw performance I would not have bought the Super Maramu.

Edit.
I tell you what thou, If you can load that raft / party barge up with as much water, fuel, gear, food etc as I can on my Super Maramu and maintain decent performance then get back to me. Oh, you can add a dive compressor for good measure.

Let me know when you get a boat that will sail, then we will talk.
Old 11-01-2017, 16:21   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Let me know when you get a boat that will sail, then we will talk.
Oh she sails rather well actually, even when loaded to the hilt.

When you can say the same, then we will talk.
Old 11-01-2017, 16:23   #265
smj

Quote:
Oh she sails rather well, even when loaded to the hilt.

Sounds like you own a condomono. But still couldn't touch my lil raft/barge!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-01-2017, 23:34   #266

Quote:
I wasn't aware that the Wauquiez Centurion 57 and the More 55 had such seats, I could not see it on their respective homepages. It is possible I missed it and they have such versions.

None of these are Centurion or More. Both are Wauquiez Pilot Saloon, 48 or 58. I think Polux illustrated the fact that even if the other Wauquiez line have these seats, they aren't used while sailing
Old 12-01-2017, 01:38   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
Yes the cockpit arch and hard top are a great addition, that's interesting they will be adding that to the oceanis range, that would make a 55 a very nice buy.

We noticed the floors too. I enquired and the broker said that it was a show boat so when all the shows are done they will sort the floors.

My partner and I were also impressed by the build quality of tge hanse 455 and the size considering its 45ft, I sat in the saloon and it felt good in those spin chairs.

The build quality on the hanse is better than beneteau and I think beneteau know this as everytime I speak to a beneteau dealer they always say 'what do you think to the hanse build quality?'

Then they continue to say they don't think it's very good, I wonder if they are worried about that so are told to say the opposite, wouldn't surprise me.

Have you been on a oceanis 55?
Intresting to learn that, about the Beneteau dealers asking about Hanse Surely there must be a reason they are asking about that particular manufacturer.

Have not been on the O-55 yet. Went to Southampton show in 2016 and if I remember rightly the largest oceanis there was O-48. They only had Sense there from the larger boats. Seems like they want to get their money back for designing the Sense, promoting it like this. Personally I really like the look of the O-55, the luxurious cockpit with navigation screens in front of every helm station...also the dining area is massive. I think the under waterline hull is solid laminate,above is sandwich. Are you a sailing couple? Would Oceanis 50 be too small for your purposes? Must say though that the 55 is a grand boat
Bubu delaMancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:53   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubu delaMancha View Post
Intresting to learn that, about the Beneteau dealers asking about Hanse Surely there must be a reason they are asking about that particular manufacturer.

Have not been on the O-55 yet. Went to Southampton show in 2016 and if I remember rightly the largest oceanis there was O-48. They only had Sense there from the larger boats. Seems like they want to get their money back for designing the Sense, promoting it like this. Personally I really like the look of the O-55, the luxurious cockpit with navigation screens in front of every helm station...also the dining area is massive. I think the under waterline hull is solid laminate,above is sandwich. Are you a sailing couple? Would Oceanis 50 be too small for your purposes? Must say though that the 55 is a grand boat

Beneteau hired a new quality control director late 2016, maybe some evolution is coming

Sadly no Oceanis 50, quite a big gap from 48 to 55 only filled by the group's jeanneau 519
Old 12-01-2017, 05:13   #269

When not provisioning, diving ,doing boat jobs or sailing I get my nose into CF. Guys like Polux are masters at the internet and have a huge library of information (which is why his stuff can be quite interesting) I use a little 7 inch tablet and a weak WiFi signal to try to dig up info but most of it comes from memory which can be scarey as it doesn't work anywhere near as good as it used to, lol. That aside I dug up a recent article by a respected sailor that actually had the information I was looking for so if you want a good short read about choosing a sailboat and stability ranges, take a moment and read it as its an excellent article and speaks to both my opinions as well as Polux's opinions.
Understand your boat and her statistics
Old 12-01-2017, 06:03   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

You suggest that one of your examples would need 3 or 4 time bigger waves to capsize it than the Contessa and my friend now you don't know what your talking about. It takes a wave about 1/2 your boat length to capsize you and it doesn't really care what the beam is, what your boat does after its capsized is another thing all together so the biggest deterrent to capsize is length over all, beam really doesn't play much of a roll (get the pun) The smaller the boat the more important it is that you have a very good stability range because you will be more exposed to being rolled in really large seas.

Tags
beneteau, oceanis