Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 09:36   #241

Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Odyssey View Post
That seems about right. Raven, our 1983 Nauticat 52, crossed in just a freckle over 19 days. Same basic route as the ARC, but not a part of the rally and, in all honesty, when the wind died, the motor was used.

I should mention, too, that this was prior to me owning the boat. I'm just going by the log books that were left behind by previous owners.
Sounds like a super comfy crossing, fresh coffee,deserts and fresh showers daily I'll bet...size does make a difference!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:41   #242

Boat: Amel 54

Yeah sure Dusseldorf is the biggest and best if you wanna check out sailboats and get some variation (been there twice), probably the most important on too. But not everyone's able to visit so you go to the sailboats shows you are able to go to.

If you are really serious about buying a new sailboat it could be smart to spend the money on the trip to see what's out there before you make a decision and commit.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:42   #243

Boat: Nauticat 52
Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Sounds like a super comfy crossing, fresh coffee,deserts and fresh showers daily I'll bet...size does make a difference!

Yes, she is very comfortable. All of the amenities and we carry enough fuel and water (500 gallons, each) to get just about anywhere.

Even at the ripe old age of 34, she is a real head-turner. We are regularly approached by owners of newer boats who admire, at least, the beauty and graceful lines.

I'm proud to own, cruise and live aboard her.
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:45   #244

Boat: Nauticat 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
Yeah sure Dusseldorf is the biggest and best if you wanna check out sailboats and get some variation (been there twice), probably the most important on too. But not everyone's able to visit so you go to the sailboats shows you are able to go to.

If you are really serious about buying a new sailboat it could be smart to spend the money on the trip to see what's out there before you commit.

If you are in the U.S., both the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show and Strictly Sail should not be missed.
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:25   #245

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
...The stability of beamy boats is over rated because the underwater profile shows that only a small portion of beam is actually in the water so while I agree that a beamy boat does get more initial stability it diminishes very quickly when heeled. Personally I think the new Pizza racers are amazing boats and are safe offshore boats but their beamy and lightly shallow ballasted look a like cruisers, not so much. They may look similar but they share nothing but the look.
As you should know beamy boats sail with little heel while narrow boats like the Contessa sail with about the double of the heel angel. That means that a Contessa sails with a much bigger part of his overall stability already compromised while a beamy boat compromises very little of its overall stability while sailing with little hell.

Regarding that story about the stability of a beamy boat diminishing very quickly while heeled you don't know what you are saying and could have the trouble to check before posting nonsense. This is the stability curve (GZ) of a Pogo 12.50, a boat very similar to the Django 9.80:

This is the stability curve of a Contessa 32

The units of the arm are the same and even if a bigger boat has a bigger arm it indicates that the arm on the case of a 33ft boat should be near the double of the ones from the Contessa but most of all you can see that Max righting moment on both boats will be at about the same angle, at about 70º and That means you are talking nonsense.

We can see also by the disproportion of values between the two curves that the GZ at 90º on the Django will be far better than the one of the Contessa and that is a very important values for boat safety having to do with the speed a boat recovers from a knock down.

Obviously this "The stability of beamy boats is over rated because the underwater profile shows that only a small portion of beam is actually in the water" is....well, not to say what to say about it. Look at the stability curve and see that whatever you mean, it does not make sense.

So, please before to say no matter what try to do some research first. You are not properly a newbie and are acting like one saying no matter what.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubu delaMancha View Post
We went there on Saturday. Also spent some time on the sense 57,must say I do like cockpit arch and solid roof. Have been told they will maybe be introducing that to Oceanis range too. The floors were however quite squeaky and it didnt sound very securing

We did like the Hanse 455 i think it was. Nice quality interior.
Yes the cockpit arch and hard top are a great addition, that's interesting they will be adding that to the oceanis range, that would make a 55 a very nice buy.

We noticed the floors too. I enquired and the broker said that it was a show boat so when all the shows are done they will sort the floors.

My partner and I were also impressed by the build quality of tge hanse 455 and the size considering its 45ft, I sat in the saloon and it felt good in those spin chairs.

The build quality on the hanse is better than beneteau and I think beneteau know this as everytime I speak to a beneteau dealer they always say 'what do you think to the hanse build quality?'

Then they continue to say they don't think it's very good, I wonder if they are worried about that so are told to say the opposite, wouldn't surprise me.

Have you been on a oceanis 55?
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:57   #247

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
As you should know beamy boats sail with little heel while narrow boats like the Contessa sail with about the double of the heel angel. That means that a Contessa sails with a much bigger part of his overall stability already compromised while a beamy boat compromises very little of its overall stability while sailing with little hell.

Regarding that story about the stability of a beamy boat diminishing very quickly while heeled you don't know what you are saying and could have the trouble to check before posting nonsense. This is the stability curve (GZ) of a Pogo 12.50, a boat very similar to the Django 9.80:

The units of the arm are the same and even if a bigger boat has a bigger arm it indicates that the arm on the case of a 33ft boat should be near the double of the ones from the Contessa but most of all you can see that Max righting moment on both boats will be at about the same angle, at about 70º and That means you are talking nonsense.

We can see also by the disproportion of values between the two curves that the GZ at 90º on the Django will be far better than the one of the Contessa and that is a very important values for boat safety having to do with the speed a boat recovers from a knock down.

Obviously this "The stability of beamy boats is over rated because the underwater profile shows that only a small portion of beam is actually in the water" is....well, not to say what to say about it. Look at the stability curve and see that whatever you mean, it does not make sense.

So, please before to say no matter what try to do some research first. You are not properly a newbie and are acting like one saying no matter what.

OUCH!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:17   #248

Quote:

Have to tell you I know nothing about Django so use a 32 Beneteau for comparison and it will make more sense to me. You may have chosen a boat that is a mini offshore 60 which would not be a fair comparison.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:29   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
There wasn't a lot of sail boats there, being London it was geared up for the big spenders, sunseeker, Princess etc.

Did spend about 45 minutes on the sense 57 with the broker. Im really torn on that boat, I like it and it makes sense (excuse the pun) but there is something I just can't quite put my finger on. Its a beautiful boat and I'm sure it would take you anywhere with ease. I liked the cabin concept and storage, massive storage!

We also went on the jeaneau 54 which had the galley where the stbd cabin would be. Wasn't keen on that, the fridges were impossible to get to if you are 6ft like me. It was OK but I walked off it feeling nothing if I'm honest. I still think the 55 and hanse 588 are the best in our budget.

However there are quite a few new 50 ft boats out this year and still some we haven't viewed. Dufour 56 GL, new hanse 535, new bavaria c57 and the new grand soleil 50.

A great time for boat buyers, so much choice and competition.

Did you go?
I'm in California, not a lot of good boat shows out here! I was just following up on your comment about going to the show to see if there were any interesting boats to look at from Europe. Thanks.
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:34   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post

If you are really serious about buying a new sailboat it could be smart to spend the money on the trip to see what's out there before you make a decision and commit.
Yes we'd like to go, just depends if my gf is away sailing or not that wkend. But I might go on my own and check it out. Its not far on a flight.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:35   #251

Quote:
They are not brand new anymore but I was very impressed with the Beneteau 57. It's center cocpit which you may or may not like but it's very well constructed and would be a great offshore boat and it's much quicker than I was lead to believe. We sailed in a large group for a few months which was 1/3 cats and the rest different monohulls and no one even came close to keeping up with that Beneteau 57. It's design and build was to compete with a higher build spec from other upper spec builders, I'm told they lost money on this boat. I was very impressed with the quality and sailing ability and load hauling. I'd seriously look at one myself if I was boat shopping in that size range. Bruce Farr doesn't design slow boats.
I think your getting the sense 57 confused with the old beneteau 57 Robert. Sense is brand new, twin helm.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:47   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
I think your getting the sense 57 confused with the old beneteau 57 Robert. Sense is brand new, twin helm.
No I'm not confusing them, I was speaking about the old 57, I really liked that boat. The new Sense is completely different in every way. It's a nice boat as well but I think it's optimized for Med or Caribbean sailing which when you think about it is a very large market. R
Old 11-01-2017, 12:50   #253

Quote:
The Dusseldorf boat show is the place to go to see monohull sailboats. nothing compares to it not only because it is the biggest but also because it has a much bigger proportion of sailboats. This time I will have the company of an American that I still don't know personally. It starts next week or so.

The Grand Soleil 50 is not the same type of boat but a performance cruiser and substantially more expensive in what regards size. But then the Sense 57 is also more expensive regarding the Oceanis 55.

The boat from Grand Soleil that might interest you (unless you are looking for the wrong type of boat) is the new LC 52. If it is as good as the 46, and given the type of boat you seem to want, is by far the best, I mean regarding the interior it is a personal choice, I am talking about built quality and speed. It will be probably also the more expensive.

The LC 52 is still being made and they will be at Dusseldorf with the GS 46LC e GS 58.

I guess that you can judge by the smaller 46 how it is going to be the 52 and if it is inside your budget and that is what you want you can get a really big discount if you command one at the boat show (all the brands do that). I am sure they will have several boats commanded already and they will have more at the Dusseldorf boat show.

There is also a sailboat you did not mentioned, it is the same type of sailboat than the Hanse and the Beneteau that you did not mentioned. the Wauquiez Centurion 57:

The boat surprisingly won last year European yacht of the year and i say surprisingly because the boat had nothing new. He won it because it was a very good sailboat, with good very good quality anywhere, including built.

You have also another option but I doubt you like the interior, it is the More 55. Several had done the ARC this year all sailing well. They are as expensive as the Oceanis 55 but have a better built quality and are also more sportive boats, about as much as the Grand Soleil 50.

Not saying with all this that the Oceanis or the Hanse are not well built, but there is diferences. The more 55 born from a Swedish charter company (that charters on the med and Caribbean with the same boats) that was fed up with having problems with the mass production boats they had and decided to make one for their one use, a fast charter boat. They have done that taking personnel and now how from Salona that had problems. The boats are built in Croatia.
Polux, that's some great info there and two boats I had not given much thought to. I've just looked at their websites and the wauquiez particularly impresses. The more 55 is nice but I wonder if it is a little too sparce, more of a racer than a cruiser, beautiful though it is. Thanks for telling me about these.

And yes I did mean the grand soloeil lc 52 not the 50, got my wires crossed there.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2017, 12:57   #254

Quote:

I don't have the band width on my little tablet and long distance WiFi but I had a quick look at the Django 9.8 and it is a knockoff on a mini 60. Like its racing brothers these boats do have very high stability curves but I'm asking you to compare a typical high production cruiser with the Contessa because if/ when you do they won't even be close to the Django 9.8 AVS, different league altogether.
Old 11-01-2017, 13:53   #255

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Odyssey View Post
If you are in the U.S., both the Annapolis Boat Show and Strictly Sail should not be missed.
Thank's I'll keep it in mind I love sailboat shows, not just for the boats but it's a great place to meet people.

The Wauquiez Centurion 57 and the More 55 doesn't look very suitable as a blue water cruisers there's nowhere to sit facing forward, standing up behind the wheel and sitting at an angle isn't very comfortable for long.

Autopilot? Those do not change poor ergonomics and lack of comfort, and, they are not that reliable.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis