Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2020, 20:10   #31

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: A bit more boat help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Didn't get the Yamaha. I didn't like the guy He tried to play people against each other. He would take a deposit from one person . But is someone offer more money for the boat he would give the deposit back and take the other person deposit. He done it to two people then when we talked about price he shows me a text from a lady that gave him a deposit and got a survey lined up. Basically he tried to impress us that he has many buyers. But if we offer to him more money he would sell the boat to us. give that lady her deposit back. She had a survey lined up, you don't do that to people.

I don't deal with people like that. I feel good about walking away from that boat.

Ethics seem to be a dying commodity these days, well done for demonstrating yours.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 03:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Not only does Yamaha make a sailboat, they also put the engine under the v-berth.
You're kidding!!!

I think fireant just saved himself - in multiple ways - from a big headache.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 03:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Someone warned you off raw water cooled engines, earlier in the thread. However, fwiw, our previous boat had a raw water cooled BMW 2 cyl., and there were a few maintenance things we did, but that said, the raw water nature of it was not a problem that made life bad. Once a year, we'd give the cooling system an acid wash (remove the engine zincs first). Kept the boat 18 years with that engine. Full time cruising.

Ann

I've never had a problem with raw-water cooled engines. I mean, sometimes the strainer inlet gets clogged, but you learn to identify that cause and also clean the strainer... don't let RW put you off. My bigger bugbear is gas engines (like Atomic 4s) versus diesel. ALWAYS diesel for me!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 31-10-2020, 03:47   #34

Quote:
Didn't get the Yamaha. I didn't like the guy He tried to play people against each other. He would take a deposit from one person but if someone offered more money for the boat, he would give the deposit back and take the other person's deposit. He done it to two people.

Then when we talked about price, he showed me a text from a lady that had given him a deposit and got a survey lined up.

Basically he tried to impress us that he has many buyers, but if we offered him more money he would sell the boat to us and give that lady her deposit back. She had a survey lined up! You don't do that to people.

I don't deal with people like that. I feel good about walking away from that boat.
So now we know why a seemingly in-good-condition boat has not sold! What a jerk. You did the right thing.

Don't be too disappointed, Fireant. The other part of a boat sale and transfer is your relationship with the previous owner.

For a moment, imagine how it will be for the Pensylvannia couple who just received JoeFiss' Bristol 27 last month. He loved that boat and had taken care of it beautifully. He knows the boat intimately inside and out. As the new owners get to know the boat, I'm sure they'll feel entirely comfortable calling Joe with questions. And that is a necessary part of the process that can go on for months. You want to like the previous owner(s). Or at least feel they will be approachable.

Here's a recent thread for contrast (see below). You'll want to feel like Chris. Granted, you probably won't stumble on a broker who is also the boatbuilder and refurbisher, but you DO want to get a sense the previous owner is telling you the truth about the boat in the moment (that Yamaha owner wasn't - he was trying to take advantage of you), which would hopefully be indicative that he would tell you the truth in the future when you come to him with questions.

Starting New
See his Post #59 (Chris' latest post - towards the end of the thread)
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-234534-4.html

That Yamaha just wasn't your boat, Fireant. Yours will come along eventually, just be patient and keep looking.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 31-10-2020, 04:07   #35

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You're kidding!!!

I think fireant just saved himself - in multiple ways - from a big headache.

Warmly,

LittleWing77

It’s actually got good access. Just unusual placement.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 05:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It’s actually got good access. Just unusual placement.
"Unusual placement" is right!

My thought wasn't to engine access though. I wonder what it does to the balance of the boat to have the engine weight forward of the keel and the righting moment. Also would make for a very light stern. Weird.

Then there's the added factor of being becalmed somewhere offshore and motoring for a couple of days with a diesel engine in your ear while you're desperately trying to get some sleep... arrgh!

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
Old 31-10-2020, 19:32   #37

Thanks everyone for your support. I know there is the right boat for us.
I'm not in a big rush to just buy something. There are new boat for sale almost every week. I look at it this way by the time I find what I'm looking for, I would be an expert at checking boats lol.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 23:26   #38

Boat: Currently looking for my next boat.

A good idea might be to go down to your local marina and ask a few people if you can go for a sail with them, if the marina is any sort of busy someone will wave you down or someone will know a person.

Far cheaper to know if you like the life or not, probably the best way to figure out what you actually want in a boat too.

Just remember it is their boat and they are the captain.
Spider0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 23:33   #39

Quote:
I look at it this way - by the time I find what I'm looking for, I will be an expert at checking boats lol.
You will be!
Old 03-11-2020, 14:26   #40

I'm backkkkk lol.
Do I like punishment or what.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1981...sloop-7489377/
Found one boat 1980 Kalik 40 great price looking good.
Great write up except in the bottom it says needs some updating.
Call the broker to clarify the "needs some updating" part....
VW engine has no compression. As a former auto shop owner I can think of a few things as simple, jumped timing belt to broken valves and pistons. Oh and old sails and rigging, teak deck needs work.
Talk about it needs updating.

Got another boat, a 1976 35 challenger another odd ball.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1976...lboat-7615734/

Can't find much info on the boat. Except that it has solid hull and deck. But no idea if its correct.
anyone knows anything about the boat good / bad.

Thank you all yet again.
Old 03-11-2020, 14:44   #41

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I'm backkkkk lol.
VW engine has no compression. As a former auto shop owner I can think of a few things as simple, jumped timing belt to broken valves and pistons. Oh and old sails and rigging, teak deck needs work.

Can't find much info on the boat. Except that it has solid hull and deck. But no idea if its correct.

Thank you all yet again.
In my opinion the Kalik 40 is a far superior sailboat with a real pedigree. It's Mull design is excellent.

At $16,000 if the engine was running, it would be a decent project boat. But I'd think that the engine, if it does not run, should be worth a further price discount.

This is a boat which could cruise the world, it could be a good liveaboard, it would be an excellent club racer, and fixed up might even increase in value.
Old 03-11-2020, 16:22   #42

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
I'm backkkkk lol.

Thank you all yet again.
I think i like the Kalik better. Not only is slightly newer but it's big enough to do your phase two if you get that far. It's financial hell to trick out an interim boat. The wood hull of the second one scares the heck out of me. Fiberglass is much better as long as it doesn't have osmosis problems. The teak decks will always need upgrading - best to replace with fiberglass for easier long term maintenance even though it could be a major chore up front. Teak decks of that era tend to be screwed down to the fiberglass substrate of the deck and filled with plugs. When the plugs fail (and they will) it allows moisture to get into the structural part of the deck which is never good. Old standing rigging can be replaced if you get serious and there are several used sail shops in the SO Cal area. Running rigging should be new, Dyneema is the best and will last for years. Don't forget the ground tackle, anchors, chain and windlasses are not cheap. You won't be using these in Catalina (mostly mooring balls), but it is necessary to have for other situations.

You should be looking around for people to take you both out on their boat. This is fairly common as people sometimes just need an extra set of hands and don't really need anyone with sailing skills for short trips. Also start getting recommendations on good surveyors in the area as you'll want this. There might be 10,000 things that could need replacing on a sailboat and you don't want them all to be major items (like corroded chain plates) sounds like you have enough experience to assess the motor condition yourself. Replacing some electronics will be a given so have your wallet ready.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:37   #43

I've never heard of either boat, Fireant,

They must be indigenous to the West Coast. In any case, they both look tired to me.

The Kalik's teak decks need replacement and I've never heard of the engine she has in her, altho' at least it's diesel.

The Challenger - if it's a wood hull, stay away. You're too much of a newbie to be messing with wood. Plus, again, they don't list the engine brand (other than it's diesel) which means it's probably some obscure old make you'll never be able to get parts for - if it runs at all.

WingSail knows his s***, though, so why don't you go have a look at the Kalik and start doing the math in your head...

Good luck Fireant!
LittleWing77
Old 03-11-2020, 17:44   #44

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I've never heard of either boat, Fireant,

They must be indigenous to the West Coast. In any case, they both look tired to me.

The Kalik's teak decks need replacement and I've never heard of the engine she has in her, altho' at least it's diesel.

The Challenger - if it's a wood hull, stay away. You're too much of a newbie to be messing with wood. Plus, again, they don't list the engine brand (other than it's diesel) which means it's probably some obscure old make you'll never be able to get parts for - if it runs at all.

WingSail knows his s***, though, so why don't you go have a look at the Kalik and start doing the math in your head...

Good luck Fireant!
LittleWing77
I think the reality is that any $15,000 boat you buy is going to be a bit tired. That said, if the OP could get one cruise ready for under 50 grand it wouldn't be that bad of a deal. And yes, the wood hull is definitely a "no go" This scenario is why I hate the idea of starter boats. Say he gets one for $15,000 and drops another $15,000 to get it sailing, then decides to sell it - he'll be lucky to get $20,000 and be out 10 grand and a lot of sweat. They need to decide if they even like sailing first and then look for a deal that will suit their longer term goals once the money is spent.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 19:01   #45

The ad for challenger is wrong, seller put wrong info. The hull is not wood but FG. From looking on line it seems to be heavy build hull with deck also solid FG.
some people apparently cruised with the boat and crossed oceans with no problems. Its not a fast boat, very heavy.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/challenger-35-usa

I would never touch a wooden boat again rather jump off a building. Long time ago my dad got a wooden power boat. 1965 Richardson 35, Beautiful boat standing and looking at it. We worked on it more then used it.

I took everyone advice and my wife as well she said she likes the looks of the Kalik.
Will look at a used engine and a place that can do the R&R on the engine. Boat is far from where we live and with work it would take me forever. Need to bring it closer.
Its a bit bigger then I planed on getting.
Like Joel said it just might be the boat for phase 2 If we like the idea of sailing.

LittleWing, I got no idea why I keep finding all those wierd boats .
Challenger is SO CALI build boat the Kalik is S. Korean build

Tags
boat, lease