Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 20:59   #46

Re: A bit more boat help please.

Hello again,
Well the owner of the Challenger never got back with me. So I guess it goes nowhere.
Regarding the Kalik, I looked around for new and used engines and prices. It just not going to be worth it, by the time its all said and done.

Came across a 1986 Aloha 32 .
https://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/d...225188142.html

Just got a copy of the survey the owner had done. It doesn't say when the survey was done. Only 4 pages in the survey so I'm sure there are missing pages and info.
One thing that got my attention is the engine Westerbeke 21 with 2410 hours .
It is a raw water cooled.
If any one can give me an opinion on this Boat. Is it worth it and if it is what to look for.

Thank you again.
fireant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 21:28   #47

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Hello again,
Well the owner of the Challenger never got back with me. So I guess it goes nowhere.
Regarding the Kalik, I looked around for new and used engines and prices. It just not going to be worth it, by the time its all said and done.

Just got a copy of the survey the owner had done. It doesn't say when the survey was done. Only 4 pages in the survey so I'm sure there are missing pages and info.
If any one can give me an opinion on this Boat. Is it worth it and if it is what to look for.

Thank you again.
This Aloha 32 looks like a decent little boat which should have good sailing characteristics, nothing fantastic, but decent. (You should be able to claw off a lee shore.) What I liked was the following statement in the adv: "in great condition. Meticulously Maintained and Fully Loaded"

2410 hours isn't a lot, but you'll need a close inspection of the cooling system. And if you're worried about an incomplete survey, get a new one.

Looks good in the photos, but they usually do don't they?

This isn't a Gary Mull designed 40 footer, but it'll serve.
Old 07-11-2020, 21:35   #48

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Hello again,

Thank you again.

Hi, it looks a tidy boat, IF the pics are recent, the engine hours are not excessive and raw water cooling is not that bad if routine maintenance has been done and the engine has been regularly run. If the boat has been sitting for an extended period then a good survey, including engine, would in my opinion be mandatory.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 22:24   #49

How would the Aloha compare to Catalina or Ericson all things equal.
When looking at the more common boats I mostly have them figured out. Seen enough that i got something to compare and have an idea what to look for. There is a sort of known quantity. Its all those one off that I got no idea what to compare them and what I should be looking for.

WingSail, Its really frustrating how deceptive the ads are. Needs TLC =Its old, tired and broken. newer sails and recent maintenance = Last time someone done anything was 10 years ago. Great condition = If I cant see it I don't care. looks nice and shiny impressive. That is until you pull a cover off. Rotten wood, electrical system that looks worse then a rat nest. Engine so badly rusted that when you touch a bracket if falls off.

I find a boat that I want to look at. Spend all day looking up as much info as I about the the boat.
Get on here and ask a lot of questions, I'm thankful that everyone takes the time to help me out. Drive sometimes 2 hours each way. Just to find out the boat is junk or worth less then half what they ask for cause of needed repairs . I had boats where I just walked away after 15 min. I didn't even want to waste time to explain. Told the owner thank for your time and walked.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:21   #50

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Howdy,

The Kalik 40 is a brilliant - I’ve had them on my “to buy” list for the last 10 years and I’ve just noticed two come up for sale (one EU, one US). An engine rebuild isn’t the end of the world and once done, you’d have a cracking 40ft boat for around $20k. 40ft is also a long term boat - low 30’s you might outgrow soon, but a 40 is a lot more boat.

Another option for you is an O’day 34/35. Not expensive, great internal layout and will tick off the miles nicely. I had a 34 as my first boat and without a lie, it’s still my favourite of all the boats I’ve owned.

Don’t be put off by older sails, internal joinery needing more varnishing, cushions having scuffed fabric. You’ve budget $16k and a new 30-40ft boat costs... $150/$200k (give or take). Avoid the projects, get a slightly tired boat that needs a bit of love for within your price range, take it out sailing and update things as you go.

Also, and I may have mis-read, don’t be put off by a raw water cooled diesel engine! Most boat diesels are raw water cooled and they just require particukar maintenance - zincs/anodes, cleaning the heat exchanger periodically with acid, checking the raw water hoses, keeping the filters clear of weed and gunk.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:40   #51

Quote:

Thank you again.
NOW you're talking Fireant!!!

Lovely little boat and the pictures do seem to back up the "meticulously maintained". Sails well and would be a super boat for day/weekend sailing and generally getting the hang of things.

Find those missing survey pages and if there are no dealbreakers and she looks as good in person as the pics, snatch her up before someone else does.

The hours are not too high in that Westerbeke, but do see if the survey mentions the state of compression and if there has been any salt water intrusion (not too common, but you could ask).

I'll return to my original questions. If the owner maintained his boat that well, he'll be proud to tell you all the work he's done on her. Let him talk - and pay attention.

Good luck!!!
Warmly,
LittleWing77

Oh, and +1 to Ausnp84 below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Don’t be put off by a raw water cooled diesel engine! Most boat diesels are raw water cooled and they just require particular maintenance - zincs/anodes, cleaning the heat exchanger periodically with acid, checking the raw water hoses, keeping the filters clear of weed and gunk.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:32   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@fireant:

Have you looked at any of the Catalinas? My husband had a Catalina 22 that he had a lot of fun on with his first wife and kids. They even towed it to Washington State, and then sailed it to Canada and back, had a super time! Less investment, too.

Or, how about a used Catalina 30? Big owners group on FB. Many happy owners. It is not a boat I'd want to circumnavigate on, but it is a reasonable starter boat.

Or, have you looked at a Moore 24? or a San Juan 27? or a Yankee 30?

I'm sure wingssail knows more about this than I do, but he did mention Gary Mull, yes, a good boat designer, and it might help you to focus a bit on designers' names, as a guide to good boats. S&S (Sparkman and Stevens) have a good reputation, they designed the Yankee 30.

Maybe you will find another Yamaha 33? I wouldn't imagine you'd have the engine running often at night. It is a good light air boat, and SoCal is a light air type of place. She would be able to sail when a heavier boat would be motoring. And that can be a matter of pleasure, too. In that boat, I would not be concerned about the weight of the engine under the V berth: it will not weigh much more than 400 lbs, maybe less, about as much as 3 adult people.

Ann
Old 08-11-2020, 14:19   #53

Hi Ann,
I been looking at Catalina 30, I think I contacted almost everyone out there for sale.
Most need a lot of work. I came up with a short list of questions to ask every seller before we drive there. Most of them have lots of problems.
I did miss one, told the guy I want the boat went to my car to get the money for deposit and he sold it before I came back, I asked why he didn't wait. His answer was until he has the money in his hand the boat is for sale.
The Yamaha was a one time deal don't see any for sale. Didn't like the guy as well.
The last few weeks not many new boats come up for sale. Some boats are advertised for months on end mostly over priced. Reaching out to the owner they refuse any offer.
I keep looking, some boats I figured out what to look for. Other boats I learn about and ask questions.
Old 08-11-2020, 14:39   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Most boat diesels are raw water cooled and they just require particukar maintenance - zincs/anodes, cleaning the heat exchanger periodically with acid, checking the raw water hoses, keeping the filters clear of weed and gunk.
A few questionable statements here:

Virtually 100% of yacht diesels sold in the last 20 years have NOT been raw water cooled. I can't recall a single boat design so equipped.

With a raw water cooled engine one NEVER needs to clean the heat exchanger. There is no heat exchanger in such engines.

However, maintaining the cooling system is important, and regular anode inspection and changing is important, as is ensuring that the thermostat is acting at ~160 d F, as higher temperatures will accelerate salt deposits in the coolant passages. Occasional acid washing will be needed in all probability.

All that said, having a RWC engine is not a reason to reject a boat... I've owned a couple of them and somehow survived!

Jim
Old 09-11-2020, 01:03   #55

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A few questionable statements here:

Virtually 100% of yacht diesels sold in the last 20 years have NOT been raw water cooled. I can't recall a single boat design so equipped.

With a raw water cooled engine one NEVER needs to clean the heat exchanger. There is no heat exchanger in such engines.

However, maintaining the cooling system is important, and regular anode inspection and changing is important, as is ensuring that the thermostat is acting at ~160 d F, as higher temperatures will accelerate salt deposits in the coolant passages. Occasional acid washing will be needed in all probability.

All that said, having a RWC engine is not a reason to reject a boat... I've owned a couple of them and somehow survived!

Jim
Good points Jim - I was grouping all raw cooled engines (both pure RWC and closed coolant / RWC into one post) rather than splitting them out. For anyone else following along, here’s some good info from CW https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/ca...tem-take-heat/

Nothing diabolical about either setup - like any cooling system though, maintenance is key!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 22:58   #56

This weekend I got a few boats to look for mostly Catalina 30s. None of them look promising but we want to check them out just in case and one Ericson 32.
came across this hunter 33 never seen one before I always heard that hunters are no go. Read some where that this model is better. I'm here to ask your opinion about this boat. I would really like to have a Furler but the hunter dont have one. How much does it cost to install one with all the extras?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...228249830.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...228849047.html

The Aloha 32 was a no go. Boat got sold in days before we had a chance to go and look at it.
Old 13-11-2020, 00:17   #57

Do you have somewhere free to put the boat? A year's marina berthing fee is probably 5k in socal.

I joined a club in SF and sailed every other weekend with people from the office. We shared costs so it came down to about 60-70USD per person for a full day out on the bay. You accrue credits every time you go out, after a few months you can have a free weekend all to your self. I sailed on 2 catalinas, 2 beneteaus, a Juneau and a cal. The Club had a new Oceanis 411s if you want to try the big boats out.

Ownership is not really worth it unless you plan to live and cruise. Then again I also only Turo my cars so maybe its not for everyone.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 06:20   #58

Quote:
The Aloha 32 was a no go. Boat got sold in days before we had a chance to go and look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Lovely little boat and the pictures do seem to back up the "meticulously maintained". Sails well and would be a super boat for day/weekend sailing and generally getting the hang of things.

Find those missing survey pages and if there are no dealbreakers and she looks as good in person as the pics, snatch her up before someone else does.
I wasn't kidding.

When you see a boat that looks that good, you have to move swiftly.

The reason those other boats have been sitting so long is the owners are attempting to dump them (on you).

Please go back to your first post on this thread and keep your governing principle in mind: You DO NOT want to inherit someone else's headache!

LittleWing77
Old 13-11-2020, 06:28   #59

That said, the Hunter Cherubini doesn't actually look bad - I, too, have heard that they sail well and owners love theirs.

(Search Practical Sailor reviews and the Owners Association website - if there is one.)

The red flag with that one is why is there a stern-mounted outboard engine, when there's an inboard Yanmar? Is the Yanmar toast/ undependable?

$10K to repower a sailboat on top of purchase cost - at least.
Old 13-11-2020, 14:23   #60

Yihang,
We want to use the boat and sail around learn what we want on our own time. Also I rather not have a committee decide everything for me.

LittleWing77,
The outboard is in the Ericson, second link. Sorry I didnt clerif better.
The first link is for the hunter. The guy seemed to do a lot of work on the boat. He is sailing it down to LA from SF bay. Should be here in 3 days.
The Aloha 32 Been trying to set up a time to see the boat. guy would take more then a day to respond.
This week there are many new boats for sale . Most of them need a lot of work, priced as if perfect condition.

Tags
boat, lease