Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 11:25   #1

23 year old Looking to Learn to Sail

Hello,

So I've been interested in the live aboard lifestyle for about a year now and would like to obtain some practical sailing experience before I decide to buy a boat. I'm 23 years old fit and healthy and ready to work. I have a valid passport and open to sailing to different destinations around the world. I currently have 0 obligations in my life so looking for adventure and experiences. My occupation is a professional chef where I work in Michelin Star Restaurants. I'm able and willing to leave within the next few days if I find something intriguing. I hold a WA boating license but that's as far as my boating experience goes sense I don't know anyone in the Marine community, typically a fast hands on learner.

Feel free to shoot me a text 707 308 9064
Best,

Zeke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	212008  
ezechiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:39   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: 23 year old Looking to Learn to Sail

Zeke,

Welcome to the forum. Ordinarily you would probably get some offers but there is a pandemic in progress. I'm not sure who is going to want you to fly to where they are and then come on their boat, possibly bringing along you know what!
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:41   #3

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezechiel View Post
Hello,

So I've been interested in the live aboard lifestyle for about a year now and would like to obtain some practical sailing experience before I decide to buy a boat. I'm 23 years old fit and healthy and ready to work. I have a valid passport and open to sailing to different destinations around the world. I currently have 0 obligations in my life so looking for adventure and experiences. My occupation is a professional chef where I work in Michelin Star Restaurants. I'm able and willing to leave within the next few days if I find something intriguing. I hold a WA boating license but that's as far as my boating experience goes sense I don't know anyone in the Marine community, typically a fast hands on learner.

Best,

Zeke

Although i wish you the best of luck, that “within few days” feels a bit over optimistic )
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:51   #4

Thanks! I'm currently self quarantined with no symptoms or sickness as of so far, but makes logical sense you never know though 🤷🏽. & if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't
Old 04-04-2020, 14:23   #5

Boat: Caliber 38

hello Zeke,
private pm sent
Old 04-04-2020, 14:43   #6

Good luck. Really bad timing but I'm sure if you persevere you might find what your looking for.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 15:26   #7

you don't mention where you are located. Your picture appears to show Italy but with a WA boating license, it would imply Washington State, USA
don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:44   #8

I currently reside in a small town an hour outside San Francisco California. I currently get free air fare so meeting someone somewhere else in the world would not be a problem for I at this current time.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:32   #9

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

"Timing is everything" (Tallyrand)
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:11   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Hello ezechiel,

I admire your desire for adventure under sail!

I encourage you to read books about sailing, and passage making.

Putting in some effort and study beforehand will go a long way in flattening the learning curve for you once aboard.

Rather than saying you have "no practical experience", it would reflect well on you to learn as much about sailing, while ashore, as possible.

You could learn basic knots, parts of the boat, and points of sail. Depending what country you are in/from, you could get a marine radio license and memorize the phonetic alphabet.

All these things (and so much more) will help you get a crew position, and will be of great value to you once on the water. Personally, I have had many "experienced crew" who could not even make a line down to a cleat.

For starters, perhaps examine your current location with this free navionics chart web site...and identify ALL the symbols. Just a suggestion.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=u%60sqFhdvcM

I think you will have some great adventures...best of luck to you!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:43   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Exclamation Re: 23 year old Looking to Learn to Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezechiel View Post
Hello,

Best,

Zeke
Please ,HANG TIGHT, right now. Area your in is A HotSpot‼️
It's not a good choice to start traveling on airlines or being in public spaces yet.
Be patient, and you'll find many opportunities.
This Pandemic IS serious ‼️
You may not feel like your affected by this, but anyone you come in contact with will be a potential virus carriers, as well your self.
Consider you don't feel your a carrier, but with the symptoms not perceptually noticeable, and you can be shedding to others the virus, without feeling symptoms, YOU cannot take the Chances.

Seniors, those with compromised immunity to anything, ect. Are all potential victims of your desire to travel.‼️
PLEASE, PLEASE, please wait a couple of Months, and then check back.
Your decisions, could SAVE Or KILL Others, better safe than sorry.
Consider CAREFULLY.‼️‼️
Patience is one of the MOST important sailing decisions to make!
You can die making rushed decisions.

SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:07   #12

I badly wanted to learn at about your age but my experience was excruciating with impatient and berating skippers. I sailed last year with a skipper who I'd sailed with 40 years prior and also on my 1st ocean passage, and he screamed, "How come you haven't sailed with me in the past 40 years ? Why !?!" It did not deserve an answer. Rarely one finds a good and generous soul who knows both what they are doing and how to pass it on in both an effective and helpful way. I have known these kind people to exist. However, I would not sign on for a long mile jaunt without "trials" and knowing much more about the skipper. I would also find a way to learn basics before going far. I mean -- GET IN A SMALL BOAT AND SAIL IT, SAIL IT SOME MORE, and READ ABOUT IT AND ASK QUESTIONS. Some airlines do put people in big jets without small plane experience but they usually find they aren't skilled sufficiently.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:24   #13

Cloud Duster - I agree the area I'm in is definitely a hot spot for sure once I realized how serious this pandemic was I put a halt to my airfare traveling and just been isolating for the past 3 1/2 weeks I've literally been out of my place once and it was to go for a jog. It's getting lonely tho ):
Old 05-04-2020, 12:33   #14

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I live in the north bay area. From what I have seen there are plenty of usable sailboats sitting neglected at the dock. Check around with the marinas, they have sales of the deadbeat boats. In one marina where I have a boat, south of SF, there are several boats that could use a new owner and a good cleaning. ( Try the San Mateo County run marinas) Buy a boat and use it. Hoist the mainsail and play with it under light conditions learn by doing.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:35   #15

There are a million reasons not to go now. Money, knowledge, boat, gear, all sorts of reasons.

23 and in the restaurant business? Could be a while before you're gainfully employed. Maybe scan the back of Latitude 38 for a decent bargain and just go. You'll [probably] figure it out.

50 year old film of the Hissocks circumnavigation. Gives an idea of how little is needed. Not a recommendation, but you don't need a gold plated boat loaded with expensive gear.

mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail