Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 13:41   #16

Re: 23 year old Looking to Learn to Sail

I was literally going to buy a inexpensive sail boat within the next couple weeks and use it as a live aboard and just submerge my self into that environment it forces me to learn by actually doing but then I thought to my self how practical is that tbh. I'll have no idea to what I'd be doing yes I can read and watch videos but its different rather then having practical hands on experience so I then I came across this website and noticed there were postings for crews wanted so decided to give it a shot
ezechiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezechiel View Post
I was literally going to buy a inexpensive sail boat within the next couple weeks and use it as a live aboard and just submerge my self into that environment it forces me to learn by actually doing but then I thought to my self how practical is that tbh. I'll have no idea to what I'd be doing yes I can read and watch videos but its different rather then having practical hands on experience so I then I came across this website and noticed there were postings for crews wanted so decided to give it a shot
I just checked Lat38s classifieds. There is a tartan 30 advertising recent New engine and replaced standing rigging for $13.5k. I don't know sailboats well so am not recommending Tartan (or any other brand) , but if you do go the purchase route, I would encourage looking more at maintenance such as these two items than falling in love with a specific brand or model. You will be making a ton of mistakes along the way, no need compounding them by have your two main means of propulsion compromised.

Btw - if you do go the purchase route, there is no better place than this forum to ping opinions on suitability and flaws of a specific brand or model. Suggest being realistic about what your plan will actually be vs dream or you'll get strong advice that will end up with "don't do it - can't be done by you." Many newbies seek advice on a plan to girdle the globe. My guess is, at best, they end up cruising locally. If they did buy the recommended boat for global cruising, they wasted a ton of time and money on a boat that far exceeds their needs. SF Bay and Delta has decent local weekend/vacation cruising. And a dynamite sailing scene.

Good on you for trying to turn lemons into lemonade. That attitude will take you far, especially on a boat where there are no shortages of lemons on a daily basis.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:13   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Zeke.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:28   #19

firstly what ever I seek out when I buy it'll just be a starter boat for myself I wouldn't plan on sailing globally until I have some practical extensive behind the action knowledge. Secondly I'm only 23 and have plenty of time to make the $ down the road especially sense I've literally worked at the "best restaurants" in the nation it gives me the golden ticket to find a job in this industry where ever I go and there's happens to be tons of everyday restraunts within the world. Fourthly Im not naive enough to just dream if I want something I vision it and then place baby steppingstones and start chipping away if I end up making a compelete 360 lifestyle change I will definitely upgrade down the road perhaps to a Wauquiez or Bavaria. The Jobs I've had literally give me the options to sell my self for a good amount of $ at such a young age I'll just have to do a little bit of marketing and opportunity searching I have the knowledge as well as references. Buying a boat inexpensive will be just getting my feet wet and the experience I need before I do decide to make a hefty decision to upgrade rather then being stupid and just flat out wait until I do have enough money to afford what Id actually want
Old 06-04-2020, 05:32   #20

Gord may Im 23 all I got is time ahead of me I'm not too worried I'd like to think of my self as a visonary and to be realistic if I start "now" I should be able to afford a Wauquiez or Bavaria around when Im 29 to early 33 at the latest where I should still be young and fit to live such a lifestyle

Tags
sail