Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 14:56   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: 'Big Catch' S/V Quest Capture - Non-Politcal !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
Gord is always so level headed and thourough in his responses that it's always futile for me to disagree with him except.........the show trial issue. These men were on the boat, lives were taken, they were caught with their hands in the air because they know that in our zeal to be the worlds best rules followers that is the only thing that will save them.

Poppycock and barnswaddle. I feel these pirates must be spoken to in pointed language. Seven POINT six-two or POINT 223 are the international language of my choice in this particular instance. There is no question. They did it. Why should we have to bear the expense of supporting them for the rest of their lives? In our prison system they will live better then they ever have before. It's like a membership to a resort for them.

At some time I don't think that the hands-in-the-air is enough to quell the rage that must have been felt by the SEALS on board. We should have let the SEALS make a team decision on the outcome. of this incident.
Bill,

I'm a loonie lefty, I don't believe in the death penalty. But this got to me. Especially the backer complaining of his lost investment. Aw shucks!

I see no way there can be any kind of trial that will not turn into some kind of a spectacle. I know that what we are faced with here is a range of bad answers. But of that poor group the only one with redeeming qualities is to deal with the situation then and there. Put an end to the charade.

So I agree with you.

From here my emotions get ahold of me. My second thought would be to use the hostages to find the Mother Ship. Drop one off the bow and see which way he swims. Then another. Then another. At three miles each you should be able to do close to 50 miles total. I'll bet they find the mother by then.

Don't usually talk like this, as I said, this one got to me.
Old 23-02-2011, 14:59   #137

Boat: Catalina 470

Gord,
I DO appreciat your thoughts, and please forgive me if my words were inprecise.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It appears that you mean a "show trial".
To be clear, I wouldn't agree that your proposal would represent a "good idea".
I was NOT proposing anything, merely asking what others thought......although I did use "maybe...........would be a good idea", I shouldn't have used the words "anyone else".....sorry about that.....

Further, I was NOT desribing a "show trial" at all.....
Far from it actually......
What I was attempting to desribe was a real, legitimate, public trial, held under the rules/authoruty of international maritime law....
Rather than a trial held in US federal court, under the rules of US federal law, as seems to be the idea of the US Dept of Justice....

I'm NOT an attorney, not even close....
(So, please understand that up front....)
But, to the point, a public trial, with the defendents represented by counsel, held under the rules of international maritime law, broadcast live (via satellite) to the whole world, does not (in my opinion) stoop to the level of a "show trial" at all!!!
Again, not a legal opinion......just my layperson's opinion....

So, with my more precise wording now.....
a) Does anyone think this a good idea?????
b) And further, does anyone with personal knowledge/experience in international maritime law believe this is a viable option????

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 23-02-2011, 15:48   #138

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
These men were on the boat, lives were taken, they were caught with their hands in the air because they know that in our zeal to be the worlds best rules followers that is the only thing that will save them.
Summary execution of prisoners - or indeed anyone at our mercy - went out of fashion after the nazis overdid it a bit. It's also not considered particularly chivalrous (sportsmanlike). That's why its usually frowned upon.

I do not understand why pirates would start shooting each other and all hostages - their only negotiating strength. My guess is the trigger-happy US navy types were making the French mistake but we haven't gotten round to admitting it yet.
Old 23-02-2011, 15:50   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Folks.. this one has run its course.
Closed Thread

Tags
charts