Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2023, 07:31   #181

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Transgender and cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
>> I think it is high time that the USA starts to invoke penalties on these barbarous countries.<<

You have got to be kidding, right?
Kids, please, go to another playing field to work that out amongst yourselves.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:33   #182

Boat: Whitby 42

Their country, their rules. You don't like them, don't go there.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:25   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Kids, please, go to another playing field to work that out amongst yourselves.
Unfortunately many of these countries are in the scope of a circumnavigation. If you fit into the bracket of running the risk of being jailed or executed or you morally do not want to support countries that are so inhumane, then I think this is certainly a topic for cruisers to consider. IMHO
Old 07-02-2023, 09:28   #184

Not kidding at all. I would also think that there should be consequences from the international community for those countries that allow the Harvesting and eating of dogs. Barbarians.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:59   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Unfortunately many of these countries are in the scope of a circumnavigation. If you fit into the bracket of running the risk of being jailed or executed or you morally do not want to support countries that are so inhumane, then I think this is certainly a topic for cruisers to consider. IMHO
I was referring to the comment of Bob a la "you must be kidding".

While I agree that countries set their on rules I agree that other countries should encourage tolerance or acceptance of these countries.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:11   #186

Publication of the list in the spirit of a "Notice to Mariners" seems perfectly appropriate to me.

However, disputations regarding the morality of it all, as well as disputations about geopolitics, have no place in this INTERNATIONAL SAILING forum, and are, as you will recall from your reading of The Rules when you joined, not wanted and will at the moderating team's discretion be subject to - ahem! - sanctions.

TrentePieds, (FDP, Canadian moderator)
Old 07-02-2023, 12:53   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Publication of the list in the spirit of a "Notice to Mariners" seems perfectly appropriate to me.

However, disputations regarding the morality of it all, as well as disputations about geopolitics, have no place in this INTERNATIONAL SAILING forum, and are, as you will recall from your reading of The Rules when you joined, not wanted and will at the moderating team's discretion be subject to - ahem! - sanctions.

TrentePieds, (FDP, Canadian moderator)
[emoji847]
Old 07-02-2023, 13:25   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
[emoji847]
I accept and stand suitably admonished. Thank you.
Old 13-01-2024, 01:40   #189

Boat: Between boats due to COVID-19 lockdowns in Australia, and waiting for the prices to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There are many places in the world where a particular attitude , political or religious views views will generate a backlash. To sone people this seems to attract “ look at me” types who can’t control these views. They usually end badly.

Hence as I said keep on the down-lo blend in and all will be fine. It’s a rare society that has random attacks on innocents walking down the street. ( there are places but rare and often there is underlying civil disturbance going on )

Oh and yeah don’t try to bring in drugs anywhere. Seriously bad idea
Sorry I am late to this post!
I have an old school friend who turned out to be a trans woman later in life! They went to one of the muslim Asian countries mentioned as not recommended and followed the down-low advice suggested by many here. In this case unfortunately dressed as a non-descript male, when they went through the body scan machine and the alarm went off. They were told their body did not match a male body. They were taken aside and patted down as they thought they had drugs attached to their chest. They were breasts as they been on estrogen for years. They were then taken to a room and stripped naked by male police officers to complete the search. As they had also had surgery down there (SRS) and had a vagina, they looked like female, and had had voice surgery giving them a higher pitch like a female. These airport police thought they were a woman dressing as a man. They were subject to other searches in the mouth, nose ears, anally and vaginally.
Going on the down-low was a great idea.....NOT! They were finally released after 3 days in the airport jail and fortunately returned to Australia. They were originally told they would go on trial for presenting as a transgender man. Australian diplomats secured their release.
Things are not as simple as you think, and being on the down-low does not always work, especially if you have done a lot to change your body to the the gender you feel you are!
They are too traumatised to travel again, still 5.5 years later!
Old 13-01-2024, 07:12   #190

You keep referring to "they". How many were involved in this episode?
Old 13-01-2024, 07:19   #191

Boat: Between boats due to COVID-19 lockdowns in Australia, and waiting for the prices to come back.

Quote:
You keep referring to "they". How many were involved in this episode?
One person. When I was told what happened, she was using they/them pronouns.
Old 13-01-2024, 07:36   #192

According to my old Oxford dictionary those are both plural. [REDACTED]
Old 13-01-2024, 08:22   #193
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transgender and cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjstutch View Post
Sorry I am late to this post!
I have an old school friend who turned out to be a trans woman later in life! They went to one of the muslim Asian countries mentioned as not recommended and followed the down-low advice suggested by many here. In this case unfortunately dressed as a non-descript male, when they went through the body scan machine and the alarm went off. They were told their body did not match a male body. They were taken aside and patted down as they thought they had drugs attached to their chest. They were breasts as they been on estrogen for years. They were then taken to a room and stripped naked by male police officers to complete the search. As they had also had surgery down there (SRS) and had a vagina, they looked like female, and had had voice surgery giving them a higher pitch like a female. These airport police thought they were a woman dressing as a man. They were subject to other searches in the mouth, nose ears, anally and vaginally.
Going on the down-low was a great idea.....NOT! They were finally released after 3 days in the airport jail and fortunately returned to Australia. They were originally told they would go on trial for presenting as a transgender man. Australian diplomats secured their release.
Things are not as simple as you think, and being on the down-low does not always work, especially if you have done a lot to change your body to the the gender you feel you are!
They are too traumatised to travel again, still 5.5 years later!
I presume their passport was not registered/adjusted for the gender change else the issue may not have happened.
Dressing as a 'non descript' male would not have helped either.. What are they trying to hide.???
Be what you claim to be especially if fully transitioned..
Also.. I reckon all this new 'woke' lingo is not helpful.. currently someone in the UK is trying to get 'openly gay' banned.. will closet be next and we'll have to say cupboard instead..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 13-01-2024, 08:42   #194

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Get a better dictionary?

Quote:
Singular they, along with its inflected or derivative forms, them, their, theirs, and themselves (also themself and theirself), is a gender-neutral third-person pronoun. It typically occurs with an indeterminate antecedent, in sentences such as:

"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Could you please let them know where they can get it?"
"My personal rule is to never trust anyone who says that they had a good time in high school."
"The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."
"But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources."
(Note, I am not a fan of this being co-opted by the gender-neutral community—I'd rather we went with xe/xem or something similar for clarity's sake but it is grammatically fine.)
Old 13-01-2024, 08:51   #195

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk I

Quote:
Singular they emerged in English around the 14th century, about one century following plural they. Take issue not with some so-called “gender-neutral community” but rather the Edwardians.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising