Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 22:16   #1

Transgender and cruising?

So, I'm trans and pretty set on cruising around (circumnavigation at some point)

I know being trans is going to be an issue when cruising (even though I can pass as a woman when I feel like it, I'd rather not be at risk of sudden murder when people discover I'm trans).

So, anyone have some tips on where to avoid? Mexico from what I read is very hostile and somewhere to stay away from... and I'm guessing the same is true for a lot of places.

Any other trans cruisers around?
Old 26-02-2021, 22:51   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Transgender and cruising?

No clue about your question.
Welcome.
Old 27-02-2021, 00:12   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Do you currently have a boat? If not Trans are very much accepted in SE Asia and there are a lot of less expensive boats to buy. Currently I’m in the Philippines but have sailed extensively here. Sorry but you’d have to wait until borders reopen after Covid. No I’m not trans but I’ve met several here.
Old 27-02-2021, 00:55   #4

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

Good luck with your travel plans. I imagine there maybe some people on here who can offer you some information. I also have plans to sail to foreign ports, but my sailing experience so far has been limited to US waters.
Old 27-02-2021, 00:58   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

Transgender travel all over the world, a few countries excepted. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same cruising.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's your life, live it!
Old 27-02-2021, 01:07   #6

Boat: been sitting it out

hello Ivory,

i've witnessed how tough it can be for a trans just to sit in an outdoor café like everyone else, and i live in a country that considers itself progressive.

i do not know any trans-sailor tips, but you might want to talk to single female sailors, as they often need to consider their vulnerability as well

for instance, a female sailor can make it look like she is not alone on the boat. to do this she will put a pair of manly boots (a big size) when at dock or hang out a big guy's swimming trunk to dry

finding buddy boats to sail with from time to time can be a way to insure some level of safety as well

good luck to you!

wolfgal
Old 27-02-2021, 01:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ivory.

Old 27-02-2021, 01:37   #8

Boat: ‘89 Hallberg-Rassy 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
Transgender travel all over the world, a few countries excepted. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same cruising.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's your life, live it!

That’s it. Well said. A few places to be avoided but you’ll figure it out beforehand. Vive la difference
Old 27-02-2021, 01:41   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Gday Ivory,
I found myself drawn to your post. Thoughout life I have dealt with people of all sexual persuasions, way way before todays very large media circus. Regardloss of peoples sexuality I have always treated people as I find them and had many a great buisness and friendhsips with many of the LGBTIQ community.
Regardless of your sexual persuasaion I think you will find that most people wont give a dam just be yourself and get out there and cruise. If people are dicks treat them with the same respect they give you. In saying that there are people who will just never accept your beliefs and you will never change their thoughts.
Good luck with you sailing.

Ozsailer
Lagoon 440
Old 27-02-2021, 02:07   #10

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hey Ivory,

I'd think in the wider cruising family you won't have a problem, most of us have traveled a lot and have gained an open mind while doing so.

When it comes to visiting other countries it probably depends on how far you in your transition.
If your body is finally in line with your mind and your papers are too, guess it's a non issue in most places.
If you are easily identified as trans by paperwork or other it might be much more of an issue when entering less tolerant countries.
Maybe it's best to complete your transition before venturing into the a bit more difficult places, or skip those.
Countries with a long tradition of "Machismo" culture may turn out to be more difficult.

I wish you good luck in your endeavours, make your dreams come true on every level.

Fran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post
So, I'm trans and pretty set on cruising around (circumnavigation at some point)

I know being trans is going to be an issue when cruising (even though I can pass as a woman when I feel like it, I'd rather not be at risk of sudden murder when people discover I'm trans).

So, anyone have some tips on where to avoid? Mexico from what I read is very hostile and somewhere to stay away from... and I'm guessing the same is true for a lot of places.

Old 27-02-2021, 02:14   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

I wouldn't stress to much about it. I have certainly had a few gay clients (never trans that I know off) and in today's world who cares what gender you identify with?
When you start cruising don't take it personally if people avoid you. Like all small communities there are loads of reasons that people could be avoiding you. I am around a lot of marina's and there's always some sort of politics happening.
The hater's are probably going to keep their distance anyway in case it's catching!
Cheers
Old 27-02-2021, 02:22   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Welcome to CF
Living and cruising in the Philippines for many years, I found that Transgenders are popular and fully accepted as part of the community. Same in Thailand , but I think an English speaking foreigner fits in easier in the Philippines . Such a warm and friendly people.

I can only imagine the challenges you have faced growing up which would certainly have created a defensive mindset.

You cant fight ignorance or herd stupidity so visit the Philippines and see how it feels.
Quite a few boats for sale here
Old 27-02-2021, 12:10   #13

Ivy. Welcome and thanks for being so open. You are right to ask about your safety in not such enlightened parts of the world. But don't be fooled into thinking that so called advanced countries are going to be a cakewalk. I would suggest to make daytime your friend. Nasty things happen to all types of people in bars late at night. Use your common sense and avoid dangerous situations. This applies to everyone. Good luck on your life and boating journey.

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post

Old 15-01-2022, 06:41   #14

Although I do not have experience sailing beyond the US, I agree with what the others are saying. You will most likely find more safety in Asia, but no where is 100% safe (regardless of who you are or what your journey is). It is good to exercise precautions and research your legal rights and general social sentiment prior to travel.

For example, I am a trans man and I would love to travel to China. There are many lovely people in China, but the overall sentiment is that trans people are demonized for their existence and can be in serious danger if found out. I would not feel comfortable traveling to China without unfortunately feeling like I am CIS passing and am in safe company.

Please feel free to reach out if you are ever looking for crew on your journey. I most likely won’t be available for another 2-3yrs to set sail, but I too want to join the cruising community and circumnavigate the world. It would be lovely to make a connection early on and see if we’re a good fit for travel together or at least build a connection with a fellow trans sailor .
Old 15-01-2022, 06:56   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Ivory and welcome to the forum.

From watching the news and the reports on issues in other countries I think it would be quite variable. Seems like a number of countries in eastern Europe are passing restrictive laws against LGBTQ citizens and visitors. But western Europe overall is quite welcoming.

Much of SE Asia would be OK with the exception of some of the stricter fundamentalist countries. Latin America it seems will be variable, from totally open to totally oppressive.

I think the safest plan would be to check country by country when you start planning your itenerary.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising