Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2022, 15:37   #136

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Transgender and cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Jammer that is a crazy statement try and smuggle drugs into most countries you are going to be detained. Did Britney Griner think her celebrity status gave her immunity from local laws?
Which goes back to my original statement, follow the local customs and laws and most countries will never have an issue with you. It's not hard and if you like the wilder side of life I am sure it can be found. That is what is so stupid about the Britney thing, I bet she could have found a supplier once in Russia.
Cheers

I believe that the explanation that most clearly fits the facts is that she inadvertently brought a personal-use quantity of something that was legal where she lives.

A comparison would be someone from, say, England, being imprisoned for many years after being found in possession of a half dozen Cuban cigars in the USA.

I don't smoke cigars or anything else and limit my wild side as you put it to gin and plain black breakfast tea.
Old 29-11-2022, 15:43   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I believe that the explanation that most clearly fits the facts is that she inadvertently brought a personal-use quantity of something that was legal where she lives.

A comparison would be someone from, say, England, being imprisoned for many years after being found in possession of a half dozen Cuban cigars in the USA.

I don't smoke cigars or anything else and limit my wild side as you put it to gin and plain black breakfast tea.
Your honour I inadvertently brought illegal dope into your country.
Oh ! Why didn't you says so. Our apologies, off you go.
Old 29-11-2022, 15:44   #138

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Jammer that is a crazy statement try and smuggle drugs into most countries you are going to be detained. Did Britney Griner think her celebrity status gave her immunity from local laws?
Which goes back to my original statement, follow the local customs and laws and most countries will never have an issue with you. It's not hard and if you like the wilder side of life I am sure it can be found. That is what is so stupid about the Britney thing, I bet she could have found a supplier once in Russia.
Cheers
I agree, time and time again, I had a long career as a professional crisis manager and I understand risk intimately. The OP should not take any risks that would put your well being in Jeopardy.
It should be noted both Britney and Otto consciously or unconsciously took a chance….as an American on foreign soil. Did they think they were above local custom or law? Plenty of Yankees think we can do what we want, we can largely but don’t gamble with you well being or your life.
Old 29-11-2022, 15:56   #139

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Your honour I inadvertently brought illegal dope into your country.
Oh ! Why didn't you says so. Our apologies, off you go.

We'll see how you feel if one day they find a special surprise the previous owner of one of your deliveries left below the cabin sole somewhere.

The reality is that in most places a de minimus quantity, though it may result in prosecution, considerable costs, and penalties, will not result in years of imprisonment.

Back to the thread, the point is that there are places where the possible legal response is so overbearing that it isn't wise to be trans in those places and try to, as suggested upthread, keep a low profile.
Old 29-11-2022, 17:09   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transgender and cruising?

Potential Penalties for Smuggling Drugs Across the Border
Smuggling is a federal crime, which means that there are a number of federal agencies that may get involved when this charge is pressed. This can include the Coast Guard, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Customs, and Border Control.

The total sentence for a person convicted of smuggling generally ranges between 26 and 43 years in federal prison. As a result, it is often the case that a person who is arrested for and found guilty of smuggling drugs into the United States will spend the rest of their life in prison. This is especially true if the person arrested has a criminal history, and the higher the amount of drugs involved, the more likely a longer sentence is.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 29-11-2022, 17:47   #141

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Wow how far off subject has this topic become
Old 29-11-2022, 18:55   #142
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transgender and cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Wow how far off subject has this topic become
Don't LBGTQ etc, etc use drugs then...???
Dream on..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 29-11-2022, 22:39   #143

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
We'll see how you feel if one day they find a special surprise the previous owner of one of your deliveries left below the cabin sole somewhere.

The reality is that in most places a de minimus quantity, though it may result in prosecution, considerable costs, and penalties, will not result in years of imprisonment.

Back to the thread, the point is that there are places where the possible legal response is so overbearing that it isn't wise to be trans in those places and try to, as suggested upthread, keep a low profile.
And stay out of Russia, apparently canabis oil in your linament is enough to get you jail time.
Old 29-11-2022, 23:16   #144

Boat: Privilege 435

While there seems to be a lack of understanding of gender/sexuality and labeling it as opinions/politics, which is triggering people more experienced on the subject, there may still be some sage advice mixed in.

My wife isn’t comfortable going to places because of how she is received as a woman. I got arrested in Singapore for carrying an electronic cigarette (unaware that was the law…). I invited an African American friend of mine to a bar in North Carolina when i overheard someone talking about jumping out of a van to beat up black people (extrapolate the words used…), and then I realized I was in a confederate bar (signs all over I was oblivious to) and everyone was carrying.

It’s a difficult topic to discuss. But being concerned for personal safety in places that are not tolerant of who you are is a real concern. I don’t think “hiding it” or “blending in” is sage advice as others have pointed out, but I’m not sure there’s really a great answer here, except error on the side of safety.
Old 29-11-2022, 23:33   #145
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Transgender and cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
While there seems to be a lack of understanding of gender/sexuality and labeling it as opinions/politics, which is triggering people more experienced on the subject, there may still be some sage advice mixed in.

My wife isn’t comfortable going to places because of how she is received as a woman. I got arrested in Singapore for carrying an electronic cigarette (unaware that was the law…). I invited an African American friend of mine to a bar in North Carolina when i overheard someone talking about jumping out of a van to beat up black people (extrapolate the words used…), and then I realized I was in a confederate bar (signs all over I was oblivious to) and everyone was carrying.

It’s a difficult topic to discuss. But being concerned for personal safety in places that are not tolerant of who you are is a real concern. I don’t think “hiding it” or “blending in” is sage advice as others have pointed out, but I’m not sure there’s really a great answer here, except error on the side of safety.

There are many places in the world where a particular attitude , political or religious views views will generate a backlash. To sone people this seems to attract “ look at me” types who can’t control these views. They usually end badly.

Hence as I said keep on the down-lo blend in and all will be fine. It’s a rare society that has random attacks on innocents walking down the street. ( there are places but rare and often there is underlying civil disturbance going on )

Oh and yeah don’t try to bring in drugs anywhere. Seriously bad idea
Old 30-11-2022, 00:03   #146

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would not agree the sailing community is as you describe. Sometimes there’s an extremely right wing conservative streak running through many cruisers. Often a function of” self made “ people.

Sailing doesn’t mean you leave your prejudicious at home sadly.
...talk about "prejudices"...
Old 30-11-2022, 02:00   #147
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post

I have many and if you don’t like them I can change to others !
Old 30-11-2022, 02:18   #148

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I have many and if you don’t like them I can change to others !
And if you run short I've got a plethora you can borrow.
Old 30-11-2022, 03:47   #149

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Goboatingnow it’s not wrong.

There are even still to this day people flying Trump flags from their boat. Big ones. Like they haul it up the mast at the dock.

Purely for entertainment value, I have always wanted to slip on the boat when they weren’t there and raise up a big rainbow LGTBQ flag.

Ha ha ha ha ha.
Old 30-11-2022, 05:15   #150
CLOD

Boat: none

Hard to believe this thread is still going

Tags
cruising