Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2022, 11:04   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman
Re: Opinions of a open deck aft cabin sailboat.

I too am from South Africa, and I built a 31 foot boat the long hard way, from the keel up, I eventually sailed her around the world and must say, looking that little boat you are asking about would not have made it at all considering what I went through with mine.... message me privately if you would like more info and details about a book I wrote on this subject ... sorry to sound negative but putting out to sea is not something one does lightly my friend...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 20:32   #32

Ryan , just ask the guys at the local sailing club. They’ll be able to steer you towards sensible designs that you can afford. Most of the guys replying here haven’t even read your post properly and think you’re in America and they have no idea of the conditions on the SA coast.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 01:35   #33

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

Hi Ryan, l have sailed our South African coast now for 45 years, East and West.
It is one of the most challenging and feared stretches of water in the world and after many years of cruising around the world, l can confirm this as fact.

The boat that you are looking at is definitely only suited to protected waters at best.
My current boat is a Dudley Dix designed Cape Cutter 19 and for my requirements these days she ticks all the boxes. Great little daysailer and occasional overnight in the bay.
Old 23-08-2022, 10:33   #34

Ryan:

Pay strict attention to what LeighPilot had to say :-)!

You are not yet, so it seems, at a point where discussion of the merits of particular boat designs is apposite, nor discussion of particular waters.

Get sufficient cash, surplus to current requirements, set aside so you an either complete a building product without need for additional cash, or buy a boat ready to go. THEN we can "talk boats", i.e. discuss the merits of particular designs :-)

Others have pointed out the dangers of your particular waters and at least hinted that they are no place for a novice to learn without supervision by competent seafaring men. It's probably fair to say that his mere survival is evidence of competence in a seafaring man in your waters!

There is absolutely NO doubt that you will get sailing faster, and for less money, if you just buy a "ready to go" boat. As someone suggested you might like to consider that you can learn the basics of the craft by sailing on lakes.

All the best :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cabin, deck, sail, sailboat