Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2022, 04:51   #1

Opinions of a open deck aft cabin sailboat.

Hello all, I live in South Africa and I was wondering if anyone here thinks that this boat (link below) would be suited to the type of weather we get here. I want to use this design as it is free and says it is supposed to be safe. I would like to use the boat for cruising the coast and would like some second opinions. Thanks for all the input.

https://duckworks.com/slipper-free-plans-pdf/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf (A)BuildingSlipper.pdf (1.75 MB, 251 views)
Ryan Steenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 08:18   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Opinions of a open deck aft cabin sailboat.

Probably not. It looks like there are lots of large flat surfaces for waves to hit, slowing you down and making it difficult to steer. There is also substantial freeboard to create windage that would make the boat hard to handle in a blow. The plans being available for free may give an idea of the value of the resulting boat. It would appear well-suited to a small lake or pond as a toy in pleasant weather. The South African coast is not a place for toys.
A design by someone like Dudley Dix would be more appropriate and safer.

p.s.: Operating from the "deep cockpit" will not be safer if it is not self-draining.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 08:28   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Nothing wrong with a centre cockpit. All boat design have challenges. Centre cockpit sail or power kinda had their day.
Boats like the Jeanneau Deck Salon, the Aft Cabin C&C was very popular for good reasons. If I lived in South Africa I’d still be power boating. Donzi 43 or Cigarette 50 sounds about right. No worries
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 08:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Nothing wrong with a centre cockpit. All boat design have challenges. Centre cockpit sail or power kinda had their day.
Boats like the Jeanneau Deck Salon, the Aft Cabin C&C was very popular for good reasons. If I lived in South Africa I’d still be power boating. Donzi 43 or Cigarette 50 sounds about right. No worries
OP is interested in a roughly 18' plywood skiff. The "cockpit" is the forward two thirds of the boat. The "cabin" is the after section. No provision for any engine. The beamy flat-bottomed craft would be a poor choice for typical 4' seas and 20 knot breezes on nice-weather days along the South African coast.
Old 15-08-2022, 08:38   #5

I am guessing that Captain Rumrace didn't look at the actual plans...

That is just NOT an ocean going boat, not even coastal. Seriously.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 08:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

nee man, dis nie 'n regte boot nie...that thing is made for a lake or river, not the ocean...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 08:50   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Not to be taken any further from shore than you are willing and able to swim.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 08:56   #8

You’re 100% correct I have no desire to view an aft cabin boat. I think I just set a record in an 18’ boat but it has 500hp and built for abuse.
My Dad has a 30’ sailboat without a motor. It was annoying how well he left or arrived at the dock.
Old 15-08-2022, 09:03   #9

NO cabin small boats are fine. Great fun when you’re young and will live for ever.
Go get a Waszp OP weeeeeee
18’ is too big
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DDC4319-A479-423D-9669-F505A894E2F4.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	262897  
Old 15-08-2022, 10:06   #10

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

I am going to recommend you pick up a copy of the Dinghy Cruising Companion, by Roger Barnes. He really is the master of coastal cruising in small open boats and wrote the book on it. His interviews are fun and he has a love for the craft. His book outlines everything a beginner needs to know on the subject along with a number of well recommended and tested designs.

I don't know your coast or typical conditions but some general seamanship goes a long way in any undertaking; you have to take the responsibility to figure how it applies to you.

People express concerns about self draining cockpits and large cockpit areas, and that's fair. Some of the more seaworthy vessels I have been in were Outward Bound pulling boats. They don't have cockpits because they don't have decks (the bit at the back where you steer are called stern sheets). So it's important to note that there's more to a seaworthy design than if it has a deck or where the pilothouse is.

Words cannot express how much I love the pictures in your link with the model and the doll. I think every modern production boat should be thus advertised. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Because I don't know that design and don't have stability curves etc. I simply cannot have an informed responsible opinion on it. Could be a fun little boat. Might be horrible. You could build one and try it out. I see the advantages and from a conceptual standpoint it could be great or at least great fun.

So if you're looking to do some coastal exploration in a small pocket cruiser then go for it! There's also no closer feeling to nature than a humble open boat well handled, and it is such a simple thing to transport and care for, and such a great teaching instrument to the rudiments of seamanship. A good boat will take care of you so make sure your first boat is a good boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinghy-Cruisi...dp/1472994299/
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 11:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Probably not. It looks like there are lots of large flat surfaces for waves to hit, slowing you down and making it difficult to steer. There is also substantial freeboard to create windage that would make the boat hard to handle in a blow. The plans being available for free may give an idea of the value of the resulting boat. It would appear well-suited to a small lake or pond as a toy in pleasant weather. The South African coast is not a place for toys.
A design by someone like Dudley Dix would be more appropriate and safer.

p.s.: Operating from the "deep cockpit" will not be safer if it is not self-draining.
Thanks for the feedback, everything you say makes a lot of sense. Ill check out some of the Dudley Dix designs. Do you think it would be possible for you to mention some of the smaller boats that might be able to cope with the South African coast.
Thanks again.
Old 15-08-2022, 11:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
I am going to recommend you pick up a copy of the Dinghy Cruising Companion, by Roger Barnes. He really is the master of coastal cruising in small open boats and wrote the book on it. His interviews are fun and he has a love for the craft. His book outlines everything a beginner needs to know on the subject along with a number of well recommended and tested designs.

I don't know your coast or typical conditions but some general seamanship goes a long way in any undertaking; you have to take the responsibility to figure how it applies to you.

People express concerns about self draining cockpits and large cockpit areas, and that's fair. Some of the more seaworthy vessels I have been in were Outward Bound pulling boats. They don't have cockpits because they don't have decks (the bit at the back where you steer are called stern sheets). So it's important to note that there's more to a seaworthy design than if it has a deck or where the pilothouse is.

Words cannot express how much I love the pictures in your link with the model and the doll. I think every modern production boat should be thus advertised. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Because I don't know that design and don't have stability curves etc. I simply cannot have an informed responsible opinion on it. Could be a fun little boat. Might be horrible. You could build one and try it out. I see the advantages and from a conceptual standpoint it could be great or at least great fun.

So if you're looking to do some coastal exploration in a small pocket cruiser then go for it! There's also no closer feeling to nature than a humble open boat well handled, and it is such a simple thing to transport and care for, and such a great teaching instrument to the rudiments of seamanship. A good boat will take care of you so make sure your first boat is a good boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinghy-Cruisi...dp/1472994299/
Thanks Ill definetly check the book out, I appreciate all the help. Also, glad you liked the pictures.
Old 15-08-2022, 12:16   #13

Dudley Dix's Cape Cutter 19 looks like a better option for your sailing location. Not too big to trailer, and small enough to build oneself. Scantlings that make sense and a design that looks good and which already has examples out sailing. Such a boat might take a year or more to build, and using the proper materials will not be cheap. You would end up with a nice boat, however.
https://www.dixdesign.com/inspir19.htm
It seems this boat is available in plywood kits or in finished fiberglass versions.
Old 15-08-2022, 12:55   #14

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
OP is interested in a roughly 18' plywood skiff. The "cockpit" is the forward two thirds of the boat. The "cabin" is the after section. No provision for any engine. The beamy flat-bottomed craft would be a poor choice for typical 4' seas and 20 knot breezes on nice-weather days along the South African coast.
Page 38 of the plans explain and define the mounting of an outboard.

I think it's a cute little boat and it will certainly be capable of sailing in the ocean. Sure it's not a Blue Water Cruiser, but it would be great fun as a little day sailor.
Old 15-08-2022, 22:32   #15

Quote:
Dudley Dix's Cape Cutter 19 looks like a better option for your sailing location. Not too big to trailer, and small enough to build oneself. Scantlings that make sense and a design that looks good and which already has examples out sailing. Such a boat might take a year or more to build, and using the proper materials will not be cheap. You would end up with a nice boat, however.
https://www.dixdesign.com/inspir19.htm
It seems this boat is available in plywood kits or in finished fiberglass versions.
Thanks a lot, I agree she does look amazing, Ill check it out.

Tags
boat, cabin, deck, sail, sailboat