Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 11:15   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Deck Hatches on Aft Deck That Are Walked On?

Couple of questions.

My flush hatches that I built are not working well. There are problems. The drainage pipe is too small, etc.

To save time, I’m thinking of just throwing some premade hatches over the holes and calling it a day. Tired of all the water leaking in from the ones that I made.

Does anyone know of some ultra low profile or maybe even flush hatches or close to flush for the deck? Just like access hatches that I can put over the hole that exists already?

Or is it OK to put those plexiglass ones here? They are walked on anytime you go on and off the stern steps of the boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:18   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Deck Hatches on Aft Deck That Are Walked On?

I've seen plexiglass hatches with reinforcement bars across the underside of the lens. I know Bomar makes some, not sure who else does. That would alleviate a lot of my concern about walking on a plastic-lensed hatch. Those won't be cheap or the lowest profile hatches you can find, however.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've seen plexiglass hatches with reinforcement bars across the underside of the lens. I know Bomar makes some, not sure who else does. That would alleviate a lot of my concern about walking on a plastic-lensed hatch. Those won't be cheap or the lowest profile hatches you can find, however.
That’s interesting. I wasn’t really even thinking about those factors. I was actually thinking more about if it was going to be slippery.

I wonder if there are some good patches that do not have a lens that I could use?

It seems like when I was looking for hatches originally, that’s all I could ever find was cheap ones that had no lens. Just standard every day fishing boat deck hatches. Now that I’m looking for them, I can’t seem to find them anywhere.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:54   #4

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

I’ve got one of those Bomar plexiglass hatches. Bloody expensive, but otherwise good.

Chotu I’m not sure how large your openings are but it sounds like you’re looking for something like this, except maybe larger?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/bomar...24_720_002_502
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
I’ve got one of those Bomar plexiglass hatches. Bloody expensive, but otherwise good.

Chotu I’m not sure how large your openings are but it sounds like you’re looking for something like this, except maybe larger?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/bomar...24_720_002_502

Yes, I’m thinking that’s about what I should get. But I think my holes are approximately 18“ x 18“. Possibly about 22“ x 22“ I have to double check.

These are access hatches to go down into the engine room in the back. They are at the top of the steps. On the deck level.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:06   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Thinking about it, the regular deck hatch idea probably won't work well, as most are meant to be dogged shut from inside, not outside.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:09   #7

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Good point.

I’m seeing a ton of inspection hatches pit there but mostly in odd sizes. Some larger aluminum ones. https://www.go2marine.com/shop-all-c...atches/hatches
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 13:32   #8

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Most hatches are about 30mm high, if that is what you are thinking of, why not just build some composite ones?

I like my composite hatches and they are strong, cheap and easy to make. I made a mould out of some MDF with a cove around the edges, waxed it up and glassed a hatch easily every day, doing other work most of the time. About 1800gm edges with 10 mm foam in the middle.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 13:56   #9

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yes, I’m thinking that’s about what I should get. But I think my holes are approximately 18“ x 18“. Possibly about 22“ x 22“ I have to double check.

These are access hatches to go down into the engine room in the back. They are at the top of the steps. On the deck level.
Mine are lewmar plexiglas with a with non skid adhesive sticker on them.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 14:39   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Most hatches are about 30mm high, if that is what you are thinking of, why not just build some composite ones?

I like my composite hatches and they are strong, cheap and easy to make. I made a mould out of some MDF with a cove around the edges, waxed it up and glassed a hatch easily every day, doing other work most of the time. About 1800gm edges with 10 mm foam in the middle.

cheers

Phil
Hey Phil could you post some pictures and extra info?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 18:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hey Phil could you post some pictures and extra info?
My thoughts exactly. Please?
Old 08-06-2022, 18:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Mine are lewmar plexiglas with a with non skid adhesive sticker on them.
And what’s the sticker look like? It covers how much of the hatch?

I like light being able to get down there to keep things fresher.
Old 08-06-2022, 18:37   #13

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Deck Hatches on Aft Deck That Are Walked On?

My experience say bomar. Lewmar. The nonskid is the typical 3m nonskid tape applied as strips. 3m safety walk tape. When you cut it round the corners so they don’t pull up.
I have seen the lewmar hatches,new, in surplus places. Can’t recall exactly where.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 19:00   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

The Bomar hatches with the reinforced bars are polycarbonate not acrylic. The bars are used to reduce the flex so the polycarbonate doesn't push in. They are not meant to be walked on.

Any deck hatch can be made flush just by recessing it below deck. All the higher end normal hatches are better built than the flush hatches since they have an aluminum frame for the lid instead of just relying on the acrylic. But once recessed, that really isnt an in issue for water leakage.

I just made up a mold to add the flush hatches to our deck. Simple to do, simple to glass, and once our decking surface is added, invisible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1272529392.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	259241

Note - still need to trim cutout and re-gelcoat deck
Old 08-06-2022, 19:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
The Bomar hatches with the reinforced bars are polycarbonate not acrylic. The bars are used to reduce the flex so the polycarbonate doesn't push in. They are not meant to be walked on.

Any deck hatch can be made flush just by recessing it below deck. All the higher end normal hatches are better built than the flush hatches since they have an aluminum frame for the lid instead of just relying on the acrylic. But once recessed, that really isnt an in issue for water leakage.

I just made up a mold to add the flush hatches to our deck. Simple to do, simple to glass, and once our decking surface is added, invisible.

Attachment 259241

Hey, Matt. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those are not going to work in the real world. That’s exactly what I did. That’s what I’m fixing now.

Those drain tubes will plug up with mysterious dust that comes from nowhere. Mysterious mud. Mysterious little leaves. It’s amazing where these things even come from. After those drain tubes plug up, the water will sit there against the seal and cause it to pull from the hatch.

That’s exactly the problem I’m having with mine. So rather than redoing them, I’m just going to put a regular hatch over the top of the hole and cut them off from the rest of the world.

Tags
deck, hatch