Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2022, 09:31   #16

Re: North Carolina Marina Recommendations

My boat is in northern waters, so this is just a query. Will you have to get a change in insurance to enable you to move to NC in hurricane season, or is that already covered in Maryland?
auwekamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:03   #17

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

Abemarle plantation Marina can be a good place. Very secure. Not well protected from winds but they keep a good eye on boats there. And one of the cheapest places you can find. They even walk the docks during storms to keep an eye on boats. Have pool washer dryer showers restaurants golf course. And golf cart rentals for the docks. And usually a free one around to use. I am gone 6 months out of the year and keep mine there. 38 ‘ cat.
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:10   #18

Boat: Island Packet 350

All marinas in the Oriental area are nice. It’s a wonderful community.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:31   #19

If you don’t need quick ocean access I’d recommend New Bern Grand Marina in New Bern. It’s in downtown New Bern so easy access to the very nice downtown restaurants and regular activities in the area. Docks are in reasonable shape and continually being upgraded. The newly reopened Doubletree hotel has restaurant and some facilities that marina owners and tenants can access. Access requires going through Cunningham bridge but no height restrictions and it opens every half hour or so. NBGM is also a pretty decent hurricane hole River Dunes is a nice marina but there is not a lot to do there without a car ride to New Bern or other centers.
donpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 13:52   #20

In my humble opinion, it would be hard to beat Beaufort Docks in Beaufirt N.C. Great facilities in an interesting but mellow, and low key town with absolutely everything one could want available. The gen-u-ine sailor dives and the maritime museum and wooden boat shop ice the cake.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 14:06   #21

Boat: Allied Seawind II

I'm in Oriental and haven't stayed at the marinas but regularly walk through. Oriental is a wonderful little town. Super nice people. Very safe area.

Whittaker Point an absolutely beautiful location and the price is wonderful, but I think that's where boats are left to die. Some nice ones and people working on them for sure, but I was astounded by all the derelicts. Some docks not so well maintained. Looks like lots of open spaces. I'd still do it, just know what you are getting into.

Deaton is small but very nice looking. Across the creek from Whittaker and closer to town.

Town docks in Oriental are very nice as well.

I deleted all my photos by accidental, but I can take some for you this weekend.

Pecan Grove Harbor across the bridge has limited space but looks beautiful. A walk to town.
rsvmille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 20:27   #22

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by auwekamanu View Post
My boat is in northern waters, so this is just a query. Will you have to get a change in insurance to enable you to move to NC in hurricane season, or is that already covered in Maryland?
No change in insurance is required. My restrictions are that I am North of Cumberland Island, Georgia, which is essentially North of Florida during hurricane season, June 1 - Oct 31.
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 22:44   #23

In Beaufort, NC, investigate Beaufort Docks. Great walking access to restaurants, etc. They also offer courtesy vehicles. Fuel is available at individual at slips.
Fairly close to Morehead City
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:46   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
In my humble opinion, it would be hard to beat Beaufort Docks in Beaufirt N.C. Great facilities in an interesting but mellow, and low key town with absolutely everything one could want available. The gen-u-ine sailor dives and the maritime museum and wooden boat shop ice the cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmurray62 View Post
In Beaufort, NC, investigate Beaufort Docks. Great walking access to restaurants, etc. They also offer courtesy vehicles. Fuel is available at individual at slips.
Fairly close to Morehead City

We stayed at Beaufort Town Docks once, and thought it very nice. Easy access to most everything. Arrival/departure at slack tide is better. I didn't get a feel for heavy weather protection; it was pleasant all the time we were there.

-Chris
Old 10-02-2022, 05:00   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

If it might help...

Three marinas in/near Belhaven have been pretty decent when we've stayed there. Closest and best protected is the city marina right "downtown," then River Forest, and then Dowry Creek. Latter is newest dock facilities, announced restaurant still not on site yet (I think), and it's a car ride from town.

And then there's Wrightsville Beach, relatively close proximity to Wilmington, decent shelter if not an actual hurricane hole. I dunno what their long-term rates might be, but we've stayed at both Wrightsville Beach Marina (east side) and Bridgetender's Marina (west side). Former relatively newly rebuilt and very nice, latter in decent shape and less expensive. Either might compare well to the two Southport marinas, at least in terms of nearby stuff. Relatively easy ocean access.

-Chris
Old 10-02-2022, 06:02   #26

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

A couple more suggestions for the New Bern area but a long trip to the ocean.
Northwest Creek Marina is a little closer to the ocean but excellent storm protection and an excellent staff reputation. Still a 15 min ride into town.

Bridgeton Harbor Marina (where I moved to from NWC) is across the river from New Bern, no bridge to wait for. It has the best docks I have yet encountered, lots of room in the fairways for maneuvering, short dingy ride over to New Bern and a great dockmaster. Amenities are adequate but slowly being updated.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:56   #27

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

Thanks to everyone who posted.. this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Much appreciated!
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:51   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: North Carolina Marina Recommendations

New Bern is nice but a long way from the sea..
Same with Oriental, however you can get some good local sailing and 5hrs down the ICW see's you in Beaufort if you want a w'end on the ocean.. concur with it being a great little town as I enjoyed my year there.
Beaufort is also really nice, spent my time there in Taylor Creek which has a great view of the wild horses on the island across the way. It has a narrow zigzag entrance/exit but manageable even under sail tho' the motorboats will get stroppy..
Good pub called the 'Backstreet' and several decent eateries, also courtesy cars used to be available across from the boat mueseum if you needed to get to Morehead or elsewhere for something..
Overall I found these places really nice with great people in spite of most folks going to bed around 2130..
That was a bit weird..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 06:43   #29

I stayed at Matthews Point for a few years. Loved it and the staff was awesome. At 42' we were one of the larger boats and on the end of the T. It's worth giving them a call to see if there is anything they can do for you because it is such a great marina.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 07:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Reveille View Post
I am looking to move my boat from the Chesapeake to North Carolina for the summer season, likely a 6 month period from April/May through October.
Does anyone have first hand advice on marinas? I'm considering the Oriental, Beaufort, and Southport areas.
It would be a 6 month lease for a 49 foot LOA boat that draws 5 1/2 feet with a mast height of 63 feet.
I don't require a country club type resort marina, but some amenities would be nice. Safety and Security, and good access with well maintained docks/slips are what I'm looking for. Decent storm protection is a plus as well.
So far, my top choices are River Dunes, Whittaker Pointe and Matthews Point in the Oriental area, and Southport Marina in the Southport / Wilmington area. Feedback on those with knowledge of these marinas would be helpful.
All suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
I live in Beaufort NC and all I can tell you is start calling around. Try a few Real Estate offices you may get lucky. The Marinas are selling the slips and are now around $75k or more for a 40’ slip. Wait lists to buy are 50 to 75 long. If you can find one available they are at least $650 a month. If you go north to Oriental you can find slips. Much more reasonable but you are 4 hours from the ocean. Unfortunately the center console power boats have taken over around here. Anything available they are putting in lifts for these boats. I’ll get you some phone numbers later today and pass them on.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, north carolina