Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 07:14   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: North Carolina Marina Recommendations

Re: Matthews Point, it just sold, new owners taking over shortly.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 07:16   #32

Boat: Hunter 26

I have done several week-long trips out of Oriental and have made Whittaker Point my home marina. They have always treated me very well.
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 07:20   #33

For amenities I'd recommend Off the Hook Boatyard (formerly Bennett Brothers) I believe their affiliated marina is Cape Fear Marina adjacent to the north side of downtown Wilmington. OTH not a great hurricane hole, but they can put you on the hard.

A new marina in Beaufort is The Boathouse Marina. You would probably have to leave if a hurricane is threatening a close hit.

Duck Creek (close to New Bern) is a great hurricane hole and space on the hard. The depth coming into their channel is supposed to be 7 ft.
CaptJimFrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 07:24   #34

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Not knowing the areas, you mentioned, but do know New Bern, I would suggest the New Bern Grand Marina.

New Bern is a nice town with numerous attractions.

Based on a need of a friend, there is also great medical care.

The marina withstood a hurricane that wiped out the one on the other side of the river.
Don't know rates or current availability but you could call Jeremy at the marina, 252.638.0318. He can also provide answers to any of your questions.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:40   #35

I highly recommend Sail Crafters Marina in Oriental. I kept my boat there all through hurricane season. The price for my 38 footer was 350 per month. We went through a full blown hurricane without a scratch. Little Washington is cheaper but you would have to move your boat in a storm. Even nor-easters can be bad there.

5.5 ft will just get in the channel and if you touch it is soft mud. Nice community and people there. The manager was very helpful and hands on concerned for his guests. During the hurricane he was up all night with his staff tending lines as needed. They have a nice well kept swimming pool for guests, an added bonus on hot days. And as said, a friendly community there too.
I kept my boat in little Washington for a couple of years but it did take a lot, a lot more attention. The nearly one hundred dollars a month difference was worth it, and the sailing grounds in oriental far superior too! As Oriental is a sailing community there are chandleries eg West Marine, sail makers, canvas makers, mechanics, etc. in the small town.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:49   #36

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 33

We liked McCotters Marina Rd
River Rd, NC 27889 but that was a decade ago. Enjoyed living in little Washington as well.
hpaabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 09:01   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: North Carolina Marina Recommendations

Merry dolphin.. Do you mean Sail raft marina across the creek from Deatons.???
Kept my boat there for over a year when Alan was still the boss man.. your right about the town and people..
No pool then though..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 09:26   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Merry dolphin.. Do you mean Sail raft marina across the creek from Deatons.???
Kept my boat there for over a year when Alan was still the boss man.. your right about the town and people..
No pool then though..
No. Sailcraft Marina. They are connected to but not the same as Sailcraft Boatyard. If you google Sailcraft. You will see the marina marked as Oriental Sailing School. That is the office building for the marina. The marina goes off NWward from this building in a linear fashion.
Old 14-02-2022, 09:35   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaabor View Post
We liked McCotters Marina Rd
River Rd, NC 27889 but that was a decade ago. Enjoyed living in little Washington as well.
McCotters is very run down and other that the chandlery there is NOTHING within 10 miles.

I nearly lost my boat there in a terrible fire. The docks are dilapidated as is the electric and facilities in general. And this is NOT a place to ride out a hurricane.
Oh and did I say: maintenance of the place is pitiful. I have stayed in better marinas in third world countries.

Yes little Washington is a nice little town nearly 10 miles away. I moved my boat to the Washington city docks. Nice price, about the same as Mc Cotters but Much nicer docks and facilities. And a great location downtown Washington. But again NO place for a boat in a storm. You are required to move in a storm. And if you want to use your boat, there is not much there for sailing. And lots of shoal water.
Old 14-02-2022, 12:20   #40

Albemarle Plantation Marina is by far the best place to leave a boat. Great amenities and the docks are monitored 7 days a a week. Reasonable prices and friendly pepole.
Slacktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 17:38   #41

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I want to thank all the people who contributed to this thread, because I’m just about the bring my boat to Fairfield Harbour, near New Bern, where I have a house and dock. We look forward to exploring the Pamlico and Albemarle sounds area, and also the outer banks.
This has been a great insight from people’s actual experiences of the many marinas and watering holes in the vicinity.
Thanks, everyone.
JR
Old 14-02-2022, 22:36   #42

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Whitaker Point in Oriental is very nice
Old 15-02-2022, 09:58   #43

Boat: 49' DeFever CPMY

you want find a nicer more convenient marina than the Morehead City Yacht Basin. Walking distance to 18 restaurants, very close to a good inlet, a short cruse to Cape Lookout (the prettiest anchorage in the southeast US), easy cursing ICW, Neuse River or Pamlico Sound.

The only drawback is you need a hurricane plan.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, north carolina