Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 21:01   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 45
North Carolina Marina Recommendations

I am looking to move my boat from the Chesapeake to North Carolina for the summer season, likely a 6 month period from April/May through October.
Does anyone have first hand advice on marinas? I'm considering the Oriental, Beaufort, and Southport areas.
It would be a 6 month lease for a 49 foot LOA boat that draws 5 1/2 feet with a mast height of 63 feet.
I don't require a country club type resort marina, but some amenities would be nice. Safety and Security, and good access with well maintained docks/slips are what I'm looking for. Decent storm protection is a plus as well.
So far, my top choices are River Dunes, Whittaker Pointe and Matthews Point in the Oriental area, and Southport Marina in the Southport / Wilmington area. Feedback on those with knowledge of these marinas would be helpful.
All suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:00   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: North Carolina Marina Recommendations

River Dunes is very, very nice and very well-protected; not exactly very near Oriental, quite a ways from New Bern... not a problem if you have a car. You'd want to learn about their hurricane planning; they usually have a waiting list... but then you might qualify for something like that if you're there on a long-term lease.

Southport Marina was OK last time we were there and they've rebuilt their docks since then. Easy walking access to downtown. South Haven Harbour Marinna, slightly further along the ICW is also very nice, also rebuilt recently, needs car to get to town.

-Chris
Old 08-02-2022, 15:48   #3

Boat: Nauticat 43

In Southport, there's another marina choice a mile or two further north from Southport Marina and that is Deep Point Marina. It's not right on the downtown waterfront, but it's a nice marina with good facilities.

We never stayed in Beaufort, but either were anchored off Morehead City's Sugar Loaf Island, or else we were at the City Marina which had clean showers but no other amenities (e.g. pool, laundry, etc). The City Marina in on the downtown waterfront of Morehead City and there are several marinas there and one across the highway. There are several restaurants on the waterfront and more in the downtown. This are is inconvenient for provisioning wih a bike but would be okay with a car.
Old 08-02-2022, 17:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Matthews Point, I was visiting a couple there last week.

It is a lovely little marina. I don’t know that they can handle a boat your size. Maybe on the T head, but there is only room for 2 and they were already taken. But give them a call and check. Very quiet place right now. A bit of a camp ground in season.

It is a loooong way from anything on land. 18 miles to Havelock.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
docks since then. Easy walking access to downtown. South Haven Harbour Marinna, slightly further along the ICW is also very nice, also rebuilt recently, needs car to get to town.

Sorry, mis-spoke. South Harbour Village.

-Chris
Old 09-02-2022, 05:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have stayed at Deep Point and Southport in the Cape Fear area and Oriental.

Deep Point is very nice, clean, new, free laundry and management friendly and helpful. But they are a long way from stores and restaurants. Also last couple of times through the area they were full. Suggest you contact them way in advance Southport just rebuilt after they were pretty much wiped out by a hurricane. Also nice and closer to things.

Oriental great stop place but a lot farther from the ocean. There is nice cruising around the rivers and bays in the area.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:55   #7

Whittaker Point Marina in Orienetal is very nice and I believe the channel has been recently dredged.
radsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:00   #8

I can't help but mention DOWRY CREEK near Belhaven. I was there in November and was pleased as they aimed to more than please. This site would not have the 360 protection that RIVER DUNES has but they do have HEAVY fixed docks with high pilings. There's an excellent on-site Ship's Store and clean clean showers/bath and a courtesy car. Nearby there are haulout yards.
They are in process of adding a restaurant but then, Belhaven is enjoying something of an uplift and has a wonderful new restaurant, -- "Spoon River".
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:23   #9

Matthews Point Marina, a 15 minute drive from Havelock and 25 minute drive from Beaufort, is ideal. I've had my boat there for 6 years. I drive over two hours from my home in Wilmington, NC to the marina, despite having many options closer to my home because I think it is the best marina in the state and sailing in the Neuse River (3 miles wide near the marina, wider downriver) is always good, with very little boat traffic. The marina management is first class, and the other boaters are friendly. Services, including haulout, are available nearby across the river at several marinas. The cost for dockage is reasonable. The marina is at the end of a little-travelled road, and is quite secure. The owner lives on-site. The only hitch is availability of space for your boat length. I suggest giving them a call.
NCSailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:33   #10

Boat: Grand Banks Europa 42

Regarding Southport Marina. Check with your insurer concerning your storm preparedness plan for this marina. I just cancelled a contract with Southport I signed a few weeks ago because my insurer wanted a plan that included haul out. There was no one in the area that could/would haul me for a storm. I could have changed carriers to remove the haul out requirement but that would have required a new survey and I wasn’t interested in going through that hassle.
I believe there is ongoing litigation at Southport between the marina and some insurance carriers do to events in 2020 with marina damage sustained during TS Florence.
walbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I think you ink the essential point we are missing in giving advise is this..

How do you intend to use the boat? If on the sounds that is one thing, if you want ready ocean access that is quite another.

Maybe 3 general use cases:
1- Sounds day sailing
2- Sounds exploration where you go out for days/weeks at a time
3- Ocean access

1- Pamlico Sounds locations. Ocean access is a hassle.
2- Albemarle Sound is possible in addition to Pamlico. Edenton (drop dead pretty town in easy walking distance) or Albemarle Plantation (golf and nice docks)
3- Beaufort or Cape Fear areas
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:04   #12

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsailor View Post
Whittaker Point Marina in Orienetal is very nice and I believe the channel has been recently dredged.
The channel was (finally!) dredged, but the marina’s a rocking chair when the wind is blowing the wrong way.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:48   #13

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Reveille View Post
I am looking to move my boat from the Chesapeake to North Carolina for the summer season, likely a 6 month period from April/May through October.
Does anyone have first hand advice on marinas? I'm considering the Oriental, Beaufort, and Southport areas.
It would be a 6 month lease for a 49 foot LOA boat that draws 5 1/2 feet with a mast height of 63 feet.
I don't require a country club type resort marina, but some amenities would be nice. Safety and Security, and good access with well maintained docks/slips are what I'm looking for. Decent storm protection is a plus as well.
So far, my top choices are River Dunes, Whittaker Pointe and Matthews Point in the Oriental area, and Southport Marina in the Southport / Wilmington area. Feedback on those with knowledge of these marinas would be helpful.
All suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
My boat is currently at Point Marina, just up broad creek from River Dunes. The docks are in good shape and the marina is overall very well maintained with an excellent clubhouse.
The price is less than half of River Dunes for docking. The biggest disadvantage is you need a car as, like River Dunes, it is about 10 miles from Oriental.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 09-02-2022, 08:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbee View Post
I just cancelled a contract with Southport I signed a few weeks ago because my insurer wanted a plan that included haul out. There was no one in the area that could/would haul me for a storm.

Thought Southport Marina has haul-out capabilities. No?

-Chris
Old 09-02-2022, 09:29   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380

We just spent some time at Town Creek Marina in Beaufort on our way south and rode out one of the winter storms there. Easy in and out for us.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, north carolina