Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 18:07   #31

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: North Carolina Boater's Be Aware

Can imagine the pain of this tax, especially on those, the majority, who don't/hardly operate their boats.
Old 24-06-2015, 18:11   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Wish they'd dredge here as we're "plowing" the bottom of upper Petaluma River/slough:

Old 24-06-2015, 19:22   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
It will make no difference if it's a shallow draft or not if it's 24 feet and over you are going to pay
Now that is the fallacy in this. Your 60 foot canoe with a 6 inch draft requires no dredging but would pay a fortune. Any fee based on impact to the dredging need should be based on draft alone. More legislative BS dreamed up by non-boaters to tax a targeted powerless minority.

If you were a non-boat owner, you could vote for this - doesn't affect you. Like non-smokers voting for increases in tobacco tax. This is BTW the way Cleveland funded a twice-rejected ball stadium.

If it is important for the state to have and maintain infrastructure, roads, waterways, schools, etc. it should come from general funds. We ALL benefit from these things even if we don't all use them directly. Punitive target taxes ultimately backfire as people paying the tax get the idea that the state would prefer that they not do what they are being taxed for. Taxes are a great deterrent. Property taxes on Large boats, fur coats, private planes, sports cars here in Michigan some years ago successfully bankrupted nearly all of our boat builders including Thomson, Limon, Chris-Craft; many private airports; most furriers, sports car dealerships. Dependent businesses also disappeared. - 1/4 of all private marinas and marine carpenters, mechanics, etc. & aircraft maintenance facilities. The net result was not the money pot envisioned by our leaders but a massive loss in jobs, income and taxes.

In Michigan, we pay around $450 for our water use tax on our 58 footer. Charged also by the foot - based, so they tell me, on larger boats causing more wear on the state's facilities (boat launches). My Jon boat pays 17 dollars. My 58 foot sailboat can't come within 100 yards of any state launch. It lives in a private marina where the channel is deep dredged for commercial shipping. In the few state maintained marinas for transients, you pay plenty, also by the foot.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:30   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I really love anyone with a large tax haven flagged yacht will be exempt. Same in Florida.

Here is a link to the "free" Canadian fees Trent Severn Waterway Schedule and Fees |=| TheWaterway.ca |=|

Not looking to pick on Canadians, but they due use the heck out of the ICW for $0.00 doubt many Americans make use of a thousand miles or so of their improved waterways and inlets on an annual basis. doubt any of them do!
Old 24-06-2015, 19:33   #35
Marine Service Provider

$450 for our water use tax on our 58 footer. Charged also by the foot - based, so they tell me,

That's for 3 years. And you could choose to have a smaller boat and stop bitching.

I should also note; its the anti tax crusaders in NC that are now scrambling to fill holes in their budget by these means.
Old 24-06-2015, 19:44   #36

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

If everyone will visit BoatUS on there web site they have a prepared email or letter already to go to your NC State Rep all you need to do is fill in the blanks and they will send it for you. It's the only way this can be stopped to show that this is so unfair...you can also go to the Cruiser'sNet.com and find it there under North Carolina cruising news.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 21:05   #37
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Here is a link to the "free" Canadian fees Trent Severn Waterway Schedule and Fees |=| TheWaterway.ca |=|

Not looking to pick on Canadians, but they due use the heck out of the ICW for $0.00
So what, they "use the heck out of" I-95, as well...

What is your point? Because one needs to pay to use the Trent-Severn Waterway, we should turn the ICW and I-95 into toll roads, as well?
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 22:17   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Glad I am in Canada where boats are not taxed in any way except for sales tax at purchase. Federally registered boats (comparable to US Documentation) can re-new free and Provincially licensed boats do not have to re-new.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 04:10   #39

Boat: Alberg 30

boatguy30
I really love anyone with a large tax haven flagged yacht will be exempt. Same in Florida.

Not looking to pick on Canadians, but they due use the heck out of the ICW for $0.00 doubt many Americans make use of a thousand miles or so of their improved waterways and inlets on an annual basis. doubt any of them do!

We do pay to use the NY canal System But You Are Welcome To Come And Use The St Lawrence River For FREE
Old 25-06-2015, 10:20   #40

Boat: Island Packet 35

Here is the rub on taxes and fees. IF taxes and fees collected by ANY government authority went directly to what it is they are being collected for, I would have zero problem with it. The reality is that laws are passed to raise taxes, and regulations created to collect fees. Taxes go into a general fund and State Houses determine how the money is spent each year as in many cases funding puts an automatic sunset on a law. Even if the law states it must be collected, the Federal/State House can determine how it is spent.

Fees are collected by a government body that normally are not attached to a law. They are a means of offsetting costs, and usually sold as temporary in nature. It is very rare that temporary tax increases or fees are ever temporary. Even in the private sector - UPS still has a huge fuel surcharge attached to shipping a package even though diesel and aviation fuel is below the threshold of where they started the fee. It is called the stupid tax. We see it costs $10 to ship with UPS or $11 to ship USPS, we pick UPS, then at the time of payment $2.10 is added as a fuel surcharge. Making UPS $12.10 and USPS still $11, but we picked UPS because we thought it was cheaper. Airline tickets are another great example of Government Mentality in the private sector. We don't even have signs at gas pumps saying gasoline has a third decimal place from a tax from the 70's, but if the sign says $2.80 a gallon, we think $2.80 a gallon, not the real number of $2.809 or really $2.81.

We now pay a few bucks each year to document a vessel with the CG. That is because their systems could no longer handle and is outdated. So, a brilliant article explaining how fees could be used to not update the systems, but reduce the total number of documented vessels in the US as it may not be as attractive as it once was to document a pleasure vessel. Raise fees into general fund, not update as quickly the infrastructure, but alleviate some of the burden by documenting less.

So, one could surmise that the fees and taxes are raised and earmarked for dredging projects and an initial bond will be taken out to pay for the first project(s). Over time, the bond will be paid off from the general fund and new projects not started because the money collected is not going into a fund used to pay for new projects, but the general fund. Even though the taxes and fees are still being collected, the problem is cyclical.

Then a new set of politicians will see a problem and have to come up with a solution, usually requiring a new set of fees and taxes and a new bond to fund the project and/or raising the existing taxes and fees.

So, if every tax and fee went into an account to only be used for what it was earmarked for, we would be in a different position as some accounts would have a surplus and others a shortfall. Which, in turn, would require them to earmark and use our money a little more carefully.

The road to hell is paved in good intentions.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 14:34   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
So what, they "use the heck out of" I-95, as well...

What is your point? Because one needs to pay to use the Trent-Severn Waterway, we should turn the ICW and I-95 into toll roads, as well?
you pay road tax (not enough) at every fuel stop with the purchase of fuel on roadways
Old 25-06-2015, 14:42   #42
Marine Service Provider

Todd there makes a good point.

My point is the ICW at least in Florida where we have then most miles of it is rarely used for commercial commerce which I believe was the original intention. it seems pointless to me for taxpayers to continue to support a waterway used by a very small percentage of the population.

A good portion of the east coast ICW and inlets are natural rivers. Ponce de Leon landed in St Augustine and Blackbeard in NC long before the Corps of Engineers.
Old 25-06-2015, 18:36   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
you pay road tax (not enough) at every fuel stop with the purchase of fuel on roadways
There are more vehicles than ever and ever greater total fuel purchased. The fuel tax in Michigan got pirated to the general fund - nothing left for the roads after all of the other pet projects - so they are asking for even more.
Old 25-06-2015, 18:41   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Boatguy30;1855786]Todd there makes a good point.

My point is the ICW at least in Florida where we have then most miles of it is rarely used for commercial commerce which I believe was the original intention. it seems pointless to me for taxpayers to continue to support a waterway used by a very small percentage of the population.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm schools are only used by children - maybe they should pay the bill.

My favorite is the person who says, " I don't drive, why should I pay for roads?" The clear reply is, "do you eat? buy clothes? put out garbage? Expect any services or goods? - Where do you suppose they came from? The economy created by the ICW and other waterways benefits everyone. If you don't think so, expect to see them in the unemployment line.
Old 25-06-2015, 19:23   #45

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Careful what you wish for. All those Canadian boats use US services, including marine services.
Yeah, but they don't tip.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina