Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 06:47   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: North Carolina Boater's Be Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Okay, but is this extra fee the law yet, or just a proposal?
Where can I find the answers?
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015/B...PDF/S160v5.pdf

It has passed the senate and been sent to the house. Note that this bill applies only to boats over 24 feet. Section 7.1a is the fee section.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 06:56   #17

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Yes you are right it only applies to boats over 24 feet but that's for this bill..but not for the required registration of ALL boats that which is separate from this bill.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:31   #18

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
Yes you are right it only applies to boats over 24 feet but that's for this bill..but not for the required registration of ALL boats that which is separate from this bill.
True, but senate bill 58 raises the fee for 26 feet and over to $50 which is one of the cheapest around. I just paid $135 in Fl for my 44 footer(federally documented). It's the extra fees in bill 160 that seriously screw coastal boaters. Oddly the bill 58 fees and the bill 160 fees are supposedly to fund the same projects. Bill 405 also provides funds for dredging. Sounds like the legislature is triple dipping. On top of that I would have to pay about $1700 in personal property tax in NC. I'm so glad I don't live in NC any more.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:34   #19

Boat: Looking...
Angry Re: North Carolina Boater's Be Aware

Seriously considering leaving NC. I will refrain from a political diatribe.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:58   #20
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

I would not mind useR fees if other taxes were eliminated. For 80% of working Americans the government already costs over 70% of their earned income. Don't believe it? IT IS OVER 70%!!!! Too many folk think it's just the federal and state income tax... that is just the tip of the ice berg: gas taxes, booze taxes, phone taxes, various registration fees, property taxes. IT IS OVER 70% IN ALL! Too much is too much! Call, write, demonstrate, riot... DO SOMETHING TO STOP IT!!
TanzerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:06   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So it's like a toll? That seems like a good idea. Whenever I see all those Canadian boats traversing the ICW I (seriously) wish some revenue was being captured. Can't cruise the Trent Severn for free.
Careful what you wish for. All those Canadian boats use US services, including marine services.
Old 24-06-2015, 09:06   #22

Boat: 1980 22 Catalina

Man dose it ever stop do they ever take our hard earned money and use it like they propose to.... I was hoping to buy a boat while living in NC but maybe i will wait till i move...I just moved here last April and I'm just starting to realize that NC has many many taxes......but of course not for the upper 1%.....
mark rocco mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:53   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Unfortunately, the perception is that we own luxurious yachts, are all uber rich, and have deep pockets, so its only fair to help themselves to our dollars.

Isn't that also the West Marine slogan?

Clearly, they have not seen my boat.

Also, perhaps the Tanzer 22 will become the most popular boat in the state!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:11   #24

The only hope we have is everyone get a hold of there rep in the state and tell them i outrageous this is....and if you are not a NC resident then let the speaker of the NC House know your thoughs...dont just talk about it lets do something about it...
Old 24-06-2015, 11:15   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I just read NC senate bill 160 and it doesn't look quite as bad as people here seem to fear. One must read the associated statutes 74 and 113 to see what it really means. It looks to me like as long as you don't fish in NC waters and you are registered in another state you have a 90 day exemption. .....................
When reading the description of the vessels that are subject to the fee on page 7, notice that engaged in fishing is not a factor. The fee is applied to vessels over 24 feet that are "operated" in the coastal fishing waters of North Carolina.
Old 24-06-2015, 12:55   #26

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
The only hope we have is everyone get a hold of there rep in the state and tell them i outrageous this is....and if you are not a NC resident then let the speaker of the NC House know your thoughs...dont just talk about it lets do something about it...
I'm from WA state, and own a 30ft. They raised our registration many times in the past 10 yrs to cover dredging and so on. They raised the tax on parks and recreation but claimed there wasn't enough money to pay for the up keep so we just dropped anchors and mooring buoys any place we wanted. They got the hint and came up with the funds for up keep of our parks and anchorages. this yr they decreased the reg, and added that amount with a new tax to our vehicles. My boat cost last year 43.50 this yr 25.25. My vehicle cost 73.00 this yr and last yr was 43.50..
So if most of the registered boaters register in another state, they will stop their greed. as for where that money went, who knows.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:04   #27

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzerTom View Post
I would not mind useR fees if other taxes were eliminated. For 80% of working Americans the government already costs over 70% of their earned income. Don't believe it? IT IS OVER 70%!!!! Too many folk think it's just the federal and state income tax... that is just the tip of the ice berg: gas taxes, booze taxes, phone taxes, various registration fees, property taxes. IT IS OVER 70% IN ALL! Too much is too much! Call, write, demonstrate, riot... DO SOMETHING TO STOP IT!!

Agree, also, since they quit putting the cost of FEDERAL TAX on all gas pumps, not too many people know that they can deduct that and any other federal tax on their income tax as long as its on a federal tax form.
As a trucker, i was doing that for every thing i bought. one, cannot see how much federal tax there is on every product untill you get your accountant to do it.
It was 22.5cents per gal and that was 6 yrs ago. I quit driving 5 yrs ago
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:51   #28

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Captain Bill posted. "If you are a foreign vessel you are exempt."
Good news for me, but I can't find any reference in this statute?
Where is this written, and how long can a foreign registered vessel stay in NC waters?

I can't imagine I will be able to enjoy Pamlico Sound for free, not for long anyway.
Old 24-06-2015, 16:57   #29

As I understand this it only applies to rec boats and that all fishing boat ie., commercial are exempt....huuummm looks like the rec boats are going to pay for the commercial feet to use the inlets...
Old 24-06-2015, 18:01   #30

Boat: Alberg 30

Boatguy30

So it's like a toll? That seems like a good idea. Whenever I see all those Canadian boats traversing the ICW I (seriously) wish some revenue was being captured. Can't cruise the Trent Severn for free.

I'll be heading south this fall so I am wondering how much less revenue you will have if Canadians skip NC and spend it in another state We DONT charge Americans For coming Into Canadian Waters
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina