Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 01:36   #106

Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
we are also interested in non-violent protest, over violent
There's a reason governments everywhere advocate for non-violent protest.

It's because it never works, and is easily ignored.

(Go on.. bring up Ghandi.. or Martin Luther King.. I dare you. )
Old 12-09-2021, 02:56   #107

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
And yes, merely rotten butter. In return the japanese rammed and sank a SeaShepherd vessel that was idling while waiting for a refuel.

Don't let facts get in the way of your beliefs.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:14   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrizmanic View Post
I think some people just need to get a life, worry about something important, life changing, take at risk kids out on your boat, there are several programs out there.
No one is flying the flag with anything other than thinking about having a good time.

Agree entirely. We should enjoy the short life we have. Just stop looking for unintended slights ... it demeans you.
I would go further, there are few countries that have a pure and blemish free history. If we get rid of flags from the rest it would be a fairly colourless world.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:17   #109

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yes, I guess I am a stodgy who dislikes trivializing the killing, robbery, and other crimes committed by pirates as just good clean Walt Disney fun
Equating them is nonsense? How are today's pirates different from the pirates of the 1600's to 1700's. Both apprehend ships at sea and rob or capture them (or both) and mayhem often follows, including death of the victims. What exactly is the difference?

The vast majority of pirates in the 1600-1700 period were seasoned sailors, many of whom were privateers betrayed by the political elites in their countries. Pirates disrupted slave trading and offered captured Africans their freedoms. There was more than 1 attempt to legitimize their society, at least in the Caribbean. You should really do some research. The vast majority of "pirates" today are generally untrained, poorly equipped, impoverished peoples and their sole purpose is terror and hostage taking for ransoms. Some small scale theft of certain cargo.

Interesting, can you describe how the symbolism has changed?

Peak out your hatch. If you look around a bit you might find that the symbolism of pirate flag is flown for fun, and entertainment. Perhaps by some as a sort of rebellious spirit.

Yes, I know. We have one. It's called "Pirates for Pupils", a charity event. We suggested it could be changed to "Pedophiles for Pupils" but nobody thought that was as funny.

That's truly perverse! Not only is it not funny...it's sick and illogical. Are you a member of NAMBLA? You don't have to answer if you don't want to incriminate yourself.

Fine, I accept that. Let them tell me. I'll at least listen.

I doubt anyone has the time or patience for that my friend.

Sounds like a threat?

Not a threat. I don't make threats, I make promises.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:39   #110

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Pure BS politically, a world order sounds reminiscent of the guy with the mustache.
Try flying that flag and head up the East River. Hug the Manhattan side and see how that is received
+1
Old 12-09-2021, 04:00   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I may be getting cranky as I age but it seems to me that a good percentage of recreational boaters where I currently cruise, mostly the locals, fly a pirate flag on their boat.

Pirates were outlaws, thieves, robbers, killers and slave traders. These same people (most of them anyway) would not dream of flying a Nazi flag on their boat , so why is it so cool and popular to fly a pirate flag that represents really BAD people?

I’d love to fly a flag that represents the values and lifestyle of being a cruiser- freedom, world travel, appreciation and care for our planet, and respect and friendship with the people and cultures we encounter, etc.

We’re the GOOD guys, right?

I know we have burgees and such, but they have no meaning unless you’re in that club. I’d love to find a replacement for the boaters flying pirate flags that would be cool and make a positive statement.

Any idea what flag we might fly that represents cruisers and our values?
Call me an old hippie but I would go with a giant peace sign
Old 12-09-2021, 04:42   #112

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

The only word I can think of - that doesn't involve profanity - is flabbergasted.

I am flabbergasted by so many of the replies in this thread.

Some of them remind me of Kurt Russell in Tombstone when he says "I see a red sash I kill the man wearing it !"

So I might as well toss my opinion into the arena too - what the hell, eh ?

I see a pirate flag, I see a boat that wants to tell people "Hey, we are modern day rebels, or we are hippies, or we like a good time over here."

That's what it means today - plain and simple. The same person would likely wear a "Parrothead" hat or t-shirt - or fly a similar flag.

If it somehow means more than that to you - I guarantee its just you.

So for those who do get it just head over to Latitudes and Attitudes and pick up some pirate merchandise. I may have to get a flag now just to show my own rebel/hippie spirit.

Isn't that why we all go cruising in the first place ? Quit trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:47   #113

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yeah, I'm the life of a Halloween Party, Judy too.

Run, Judy, Run!
So pirates bad, serial killers good? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your position?
Old 12-09-2021, 08:17   #114

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
So pirates bad, serial killers good? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your position?
I have to agree
Old 12-09-2021, 08:22   #115

Boat: Currently boatless

How about the peace symbol? With apologies for my motorcycling friends, pirates were the biker gangs of their day.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:17   #116

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I don't object to the symbolism of the pirate flag so much as the silliness of middle-aged, overweight, suburban Americans going around imagining that they are pirates or rebels or hippies.

Unfortunately, this is an offshoot of our affluent, largely danger-free culture. Get trapped in a boring life for too long and your mind gets overactive.

I think of the old rock song lampooning the guy driving around "with a Grateful Dead sticker on a Cadillac."

We've had wealthy trust-fund kids walking around emulating ghetto rappers. Sorry, but saying the F word a lot doesn't make you street when you have the BMW your daddy gave you in the driveway.

I remember seeing an older guy with pressed khakis driving his new Honda road bike around Fort Lauderdale. He had a neat, new denim jacket with Outlaw stenciled on the back.

I wondered how long it would take for the motorcycle gang of the same name to come across him and teach him a lesson.

I won't even mention the dorks walking around Wal-Mart with AR-15s strapped to their backs in certain unenlightened states. You're not really a worn-down landscaper -- you're John Wayne or Clint Eastwood!

I guess what I'm suggesting is that people often look silly when they parade their fantasies in public.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:19   #117

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.wU_G-U...id=ImgDet&rs=1
Old 12-09-2021, 12:19   #118

Boat: Caliber 28

They vilify us, the scoundrels do, when there is only this difference, they rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage.

Sam Bellamy

Who's the pirate?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:25   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
I won't even mention the dorks walking around Wal-Mart with AR-15s strapped to their backs in certain unenlightened states. You're not really a worn-down landscaper -- you're John Wayne or Clint Eastwood!

My wife and I were at Lowe's just a few days ago and saw a guy walking around wearing an old revolver in a bullet belt with leather holster. He even had a bunch of keys hooked to his belt loop that jingled every time he took a step. Unfortunately, his T-shirt with the sleeves cut off didn't really complete the look.

I love guns. I open carry all the time. But as a confused old man once said: "C'mon, man!"
Old 12-09-2021, 12:33   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Bu later, in 1066, they invaded England, and after the Battle of Hastings, became, eventually, British.

Not quite. king Harold marched 200 miles with his army from London to York and trashed the Viking invaders, only to be told the Normans had invaded southern England. His army then marched another 200 miles on foot back to southern England in 10 days to fight the Normans (French). Despite the lethal English long bow archers, it wasn't enough. The King was killed and the Normans took control of England along with a large part of Northern France.

Pete
Closed Thread