Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 14:00   #121
SFS

Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I got the impression she was physically overheating because she's in Florida, otherwise why would you want to be towed out to open water with no engine on an unfamiliar boat? She still hasn't explained why she would prefer a tow over a captain, the primary concern.
Early on, she stated that they needed to be in an open area to effect the (still unspecified) repair that was required. There has since been considerable speculation on what type of repair that might be, and absolutely no explanation from the original poster.
SFS is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:01   #122
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Summary: for whatever reason, online communication doesn't seem to be working here. If there's someone close who can go talk to Carebear in person they might be able to figure out how to help, otherwise this will just continue to go in circles.

I've been following this because I was intrigued and wondered what the real problem / solution might be, but that's enough for me, and I'm nowhere where I could help anyway.

Good luck.
I feel for you Carebear.

JEEZ people, give him a break, all he asked was for some help, not a dissertation from all the internet experts...........

Have we all forgot what its like to be a broke sailor looking for help? Or human, nah its easier to hide behind the screen of humility.

Question Stupidity............

ur2slo is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:06   #123

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Early on, she stated that they needed to be in an open area to effect the (still unspecified) repair that was required. There has since been considerable speculation on what type of repair that might be, and absolutely no explanation from the original poster.
And now that she has FINALLY explained that she is engineless, we're back to the issue of abandoning a possibly foundering vessel at sea (to do her secret work (engine repair?)). Unless she now explains how she intends to safely dock or anchor at her destination, it's unlikely anyone will volunteer for that.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:06   #124

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Just saw the OP's reply (post #104) to Badsanta. Sounds to me like a delivery captain rather than a tow might be in order.
Old 02-01-2017, 14:08   #125

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
First, you can't have a problem and then get insurance to cover it. It's the other way around.

Second, and more importantly, unless I really missed something, your boat runs, you're just afraid to drive it in heavy traffic. TowBoatUS isn't going to tow your boat because of that, there has to be something wrong with it.

If your boat is seaworthy and steers and runs, I'm sure you can find someone to captain it for less than the cost of towing. There are folks out there who do this sort of thing for a living. Ask around marinas.

You might even find someone willing to drive your boat just for train fare back home.
We had insurance 2 weeks before we came down to sail her up home. We are not looking for a hand out, just a hand up. Really. And secondly, this is Carrie, First mate. My Husband has not been on here as of yet. Anyhow, thanks for your reply and Happy New Year.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:20   #126
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur2slo View Post
I feel for you Carebear.

JEEZ people, give him a break, all he asked was for some help, not a dissertation from all the internet experts...........

Have we all forgot what its like to be a broke sailor looking for help? Or human, nah its easier to hide behind the screen of humility.

Question Stupidity............

He's gonna get really pissed off if you keep calling 'Her' him..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:30   #127

Carebear: As the boat is new to you, there are many many possibilities why it's overheating. It could be very simple and inexpensive.... or not.
-Was the boat sea trialed when you bought it? If so, did it overheat?
-If the boat was sitting in the back waters a long time things grow on the bottom . This can make the boat overheat. Your propeller may look like a chink of coral rather than a prop. This will often overheat an engine.
-If your husband is not there then you either need someone nearby who is a knowledgeable boater to look at it, or wait for your husband.
-If your costs so far are giving you a headache, trust me, it's just the tip of the iceberg..... especially if the boat wasn't properly assessed to start with.

I do hope you find someone to help.

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:33   #128

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Hi all my husband and I are in a slip in Ft. Lauderdale and are desperately needing someone to tow us to open water or close to open water. We are sailing up to Jacksonville but need to get towed through the bridges. If anyone has a suggestion or knows someone please reply. We dont have$ 200.00 an hour but can pay something. We need to get our boat home. Thanks all. [emoji1]
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. To update and clarify, we bought the 39 ft. Temple Marine from a private owner about a month ago in Ft. Lauderdale. We were supposed to be able to keep it at their private dock, however, the man took I'll family came down and we had to move it asap. This was after we bought her. We live in Jacksonville and we don't have the money to keep her in Ft. Lauderdale. But with the short time we had, we are running out of options to just get through the bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. To add.. We just got the insurance and tow package on her, but have to have it 30 days for them to cover the tow.
Quote:
Thanks for your response. We do have Boat US. But we just bought the boat and they would cover it, but We have to have it for 30 days. The problem with where we are is yes, it's expensive, however, the man that sold her to us said we could keep the vessel in his private slip until Feb. And he became ill and the family requested us to move her. So we didn't really have time to set anything up.
Quote:
Thanks Pete and yes that's our boat. Our problem isnt really motor issues. It's getting through the bridges. And getting her home .
Quote:
We need a tow because of bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. Not engine issues. We have engine power, but not a way to menuver the boat in the heavy traffic in the isles. Thanks[emoji1]
Quote:
Exactly Mike. Thanks and we are currently working on that.
Quote:
Not offended. I think I explained the issues in a previous post, however, as experience is not the issue, my husband has not had the time and space with the boat to solve problems witch seem to be minor, but none the less, we just need to get to an open area to fix it. In my updated post I said that we were supposed to have more time where we were, but the original owner had health issues. So now we are under stress of how the boat maneuvers in the canal or on this river. Thanks .
Quote:
Exactly. Thanks scuba0_1. We are just in a bind and maybe I didn't give as many details or clear of our intentions but, I guess a few gets it when you are a little cramped for time and I am new to the sailing community, as I have taken courses. It doesn't make sense until you are doing it
Anyhow, after the money we have spent coming down to do modifications and the lack of time we have to get home we are just at this point trying to get the boat home. Thanks and Happy New year [emoji1]
Quote:
Hi Badsanta. I guess I would be considered as the first mate. I came on CF to get insight and tips and make cruising friend's out there. My Husband is from Cali. And sailed and was a scuba diver instructor. And has knowledge of sailing. And experience. I, on the other hand, have taken online courses and such, but have not sailed. We have been looking to buy a boat for a couple of years now and found the one we wanted ,but it's 280 NM away from home. When we bought the boat, we were supposed to keep it at the previous owners private dock until February , but I guess because of medical reasons they threw an addendum in our sales agreement that we had to move it by that weekend when we closed. We already purchased the boat as is. So we moved her about 10 mins away down the New River. And yes we had some close calls with the congested canal and EXPESIVE Yachts,but we had no time to take her out , We docked her on another private slip at cost and have driven down every weekend to work on the boat to get her ready to sail. Now where were at is we are over heating and can't work on the boat here. And we have already paid over 800.00 in Towing because we were rushed. Had we known this, as much as we love the boat, we would have not took this route. That being said, we are already attached to the boat and want to get her ready to sail home. Anyhow, thanks for your reply and concerns, I am hoping that someone out there is close by and has some insight or suggestions . [emoji1]
Quote:
Thank you very much and your you response is very helpful. I am new to CF and sailing. I have online and knowledge on a boat, never sailed. My Husband has, but I guess we made the mistake of buying a boat so far from home. We do know she is a great sailing vessel, Nevertheless, it is what it is and no going back. Just forward. Again, thanks for your reply and if anyone is close by and can give some info , it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. [emoji1]
Quote:
Thanks for the response and no My Husband has not sailed in Florida. And yes is is experienced, but, we didn't have enough time . I know I wasn't exactly clear in the initial post, but I have since posted responses here and if everyone would read them I think I have explained more. Anyhow, thanks again .
Been following this since the beginning; don't think I've seen a case of such a-communication here (except maybe in global warming threads).

Hope it's not too obnoxious to list all of carebear's posts on the subject, but I thought it might help me to understand what she was thinking and maybe see things from her point of view.

Don't know how well that worked out but it seems that we can come to a few conclusions and maybe some very rough advice...

It seems we all agree that a 'tow to open water" is a very bad idea.

It also seems there is a little underlying anxiety and almost desperation in the above posts. So maybe it would be good to step back, take a breath and consider your options. Count your money, make a list of things to do, from most to least important, and from that begin to rough out a plan to get them done, before you commit to open water.

If I were in the area I would probably be able to steer you to a reasonably priced short term dock or anchorage. Since I'm not, maybe another CF member from the area could speak up with some guidance?

Once you've gotten some short term breathing room (at least a month), start working on your plan to get the boat ship shape for the trip. You must have some sea time on the boat before you take her on a 300 mile trip on open water off Florida in the winter (or really anywhere), or else have someone along who does.

Not to be too melodramatic, we'd all rather not see you become a statistic, and prefer to keep you as a CF member...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:35   #129

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliddell View Post
I'm guessing that the boat is in Citrus Isles up the river in Ft Lauderdale. The canals are narrow and the boat may need to be backed out to the river...rather tricky with an unfamiliar boat. Also, I don't think towing down the river is such a good idea as there is a little current which would complicate waiting for an opening. My advice would be hire a captain to get them out to the ICW; then there are no more bridges they would need to open. I also agree that they should stick to the ICW going North unless they can guaranty no Northers during their trek.
Yes exactly where we are
And yes unfamiliar and tight. There are a lot of things My Husband and I could say that we were not told by the broker and the previous owner and he Was initially going to let us stay on the dock until Feb. But due to health issues, we had to move.we had little time and as we respect the previous owner and his trying to help with things on the boat that he did, he can not remember a lot. Nonetheless, we are stranded with her 300 miles from home. Had we known this, we would have shipped her up. So now we are trying to get her home.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 14:56   #130

Boat: wanting a cat

Carrie,

I have a good friend that is a boat mechanic in Fort Lauderdale, He is on a canal right off of Griffin Road, If your still in Ft. Lauderdale, pm me and I can hook you up...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:02   #131
SFS

Same post over and over. How we got here, why we have to move. No concrete information. They may or may not be back on the original (seller's) dock.

Since money is clearly an issue, the cheapest option now is to go back home, not miss anymore work, earn another paycheck or two, and when the towing insurance (have you called to confirm that your understanding of your coverage is correct?) kicks in two weeks from now, come back down and have the boat towed/captained the 300 miles. (I'd hate to see that towing bill.) I don't think a licensed towing operator is going to tow you to open water and then cast off the tow line.
SFS is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:06   #132
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Bingo.. now we're moving in a progressive direction.. Good man Meatservo..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:12   #133

Boat: Island Packet 38

Here's my guess based on the posts to date:

1) the OP and her husband are under pressure to leave their dock in FTL.

2) their engine is overheating so they can't safely get down the river, through the bridges and out to sea.

3) they believe that if they are towed to the ocean, they will be able to sail to JAX, giving them time to maybe resolve the overheating issue while at sea.

4) once off JAX, if the engine is still overheating, they may expect that Tow Boat US will tow them in under their recently purchased policy.

They aren't asking for help with their overheating problem, or whatever else may be wrong with the boat. They are asking for a tow from New River to open water. The rationale for not providing a tow under these circumstances is well articulated in this thread. If they were to ask for help with specific engine or other boat issues, they might be more successful here.
jkishel is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:16   #134

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Except that she said in the beginning that her engine runs fine. And now she says it's overheating... which doesn't explain why she can't go under bridges or navigate around Islands as she said.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:18   #135

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Pardon me , but does anyone besides me sense a language barrier here ?
Perhaps a social culture barrier due to language?
Just guessing?
thruska is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa