Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 12:21   #91

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Carebear may or may not be back, but someone above did raise a real issue relative to lack of maneuverability: the possibility that the bottom and prop are fouled with marine growth, which seems likely, considering it has been sitting a long time. And a situation which the owners could address once in open water. Are such canals infested with alligators? Is it unsafe to dive the boat?

Such fouling could even make it difficult to maneuvre with the dinghy hip-tied.

Ann
Old 02-01-2017, 12:23   #92

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sure it makes sense. They are in over there head. I'm guessing another live aboard panacea. Never the less some one may help them, not a tow.
How does it make sense if you have to guess at what's going on? Nothing she actually said indicated she was in over her head. Needing help with an unfamiliar situation is not over your head, but what makes sense about having a driveable boat, but wanting it towed instead of captained? And how will anyone help them if they refuse to respond to practical questions?
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 12:24   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In Southern Florida the bridges in that area open at specific times. The times are listed in publications. Calling on VHF is good when you get near.
If a vessel is under tow, they are required to open. Unfortunately this sounds like it shouldn't be the case.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29   #94

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Guys, I know your good men, my frustration come from the predicament our world has created. I just refused to be saddled with living my life worried about liability.

Use to be rules that were under the heading " Good Samaritan" where communities such as this looked after one another.

What amases me about this sailing community is, many here will sail out into a storm to salvage a friends boat. Commendable.

What saddens me is, no-one is lifting a finger to help a couple out, in your backyard.

Life's about choices, help, not help is an individual choice. I have to trust your judgement.

Have a good one.

Dirk
Your frustration is badly misplaced in this case because the lack of offers for a tow doesn't come from a general unwillingness to help a fellow sailor in trouble or worries about liability, but from the feeling, based on the information provided, that a tow is not what they need and would be likely to leave them in a worse position than they are now. I've actually happened across someone with an empty fuel tank needing a tow and didn't give liability a second thought before towing them about 10 miles back to their home port. But I wouldn't offer a tow in this case based on the information we currently have because I don't think it would help solve their real problems.

They have said that their boat can operate under it's own power but for some unknown reason they are reluctant to drive down a canal or the ICW to get to open water. If the reason for that is that their rudder isn't working properly, that must be repaired before a tow is at all advisable. If there is nothing wrong with their engine or their rudder, then it would only make it more difficult to attempt to tow them in tight quarters when they could more easily and more safely simply drive their boat themselves or ask for a volunteer to help them by skippering it for them. But given that they are apparently not confident enough in their own abilities or their boats abilities to proceed down the ICW, once you've towed them to open water as they have requested, or you've helmed their boat to open water under it's own power, are you REALLY going to leave them at that point, point to the open ocean, and say "good luck!?" Would that be doing them a favor?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29   #95

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Carebear may or may not be back, but someone above did raise a real issue relative to lack of maneuverability: the possibility that the bottom and prop are fouled with marine growth, which seems likely, considering it has been sitting a long time. And a situation which the owners could address once in open water. Are such canals infested with alligators? Is it unsafe to dive the boat?

Ann
Folks that keep their boats in Ft Lauderdale canals get them dived on regularly (at least the folks that sail them). The OP appears to be a complete newbie (check their posts) and unfortunately may have bitten off more than they can chew. The boat has sat idle for a number of years and most would think twice before setting out into "open water" as they are wont to do. "Open water" there is the Atlantic ocean, a few miles from the gulf stream in January. Not a pleasant prospect with an unproven vessel.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:31   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
How does it make sense if you have to guess at what's going on? Nothing she actually said indicated she was in over her head. Needing help with an unfamiliar situation is not over your head, but what makes sense about having a driveable boat, but wanting it towed instead of captained? And how will anyone help them if they refuse to respond to practical questions?
I guess you missed I was being cynical?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:31   #97

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
If a vessel is under tow, they are required to open. Unfortunately this sounds like it shouldn't be the case.

Not my experience in Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:34   #98
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Carebear-

If you are still out there, what Weavis said, and what capngeo said. Forgetting the offshore part, you've got to get into Jax when you arrive at the other end, too.

If you could describe the whole situation (the boat, not the dock) better, it might be possible for someone to help you get there. Depending on where you are, FLL can be a real quagmire with reversing river currents, tight bends, and the many bridges that sometimes are left closed for road projects, and won't be open for weeks. That all needs to be checked into. Also, towing normally relies on your boat being pulled, and if you have to wait for a bridge to open you've got no brakes--and will overrun the tow vessel. Unless they are tied alongside, and that may be a width problem.

There are good reasons like that, for people to be reluctant to just see it as a simple tow.

It might actually cost you the same thing, and be more effective overall, to hire a delivery skipper to take the boat out and up to Jax, and give you the benefit of someone with experience all along the way.

Hard to say without knowing the extent of the problem.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 12:34   #99

Quote:
I guess you missed I was being cynical?
Possibly, but I don't think that's even the right word.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40   #100

Quote:
Possibly, but I don't think that's even the right word.
What is the correct word. I sounds like they are in over there head? I feel for them.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:43   #101

Quote:
What is the correct word. I sounds like they are in over there head? I feel for them.
Don't know, but
cyn·i·cal
ˈsinək(ə)l/
adjective
believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
"her cynical attitude"
concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.
"a cynical manipulation of public opinion"

I don't think those things are what you were being. You can feel like they are in over their head, but unless they actually tell us what the problem is, you are still only guessing.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:44   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, remember my story about the two pregnant women in the Volkswagen?
When I stopped they asked for a ride to a phone because their car was broken.
What I did was fix the car. Very quickly I figured out that what they would best be served by was not what they were asking for.
I think, maybe this may be the same thing, possibly. or not. Without more info, it could be anything.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:05   #103

Quote:
Don't know, but
cyn·i·cal
ˈsinək(ə)l/
adjective
believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
"her cynical attitude"
concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.
"a cynical manipulation of public opinion"

I don't think those things are what you were being. You can feel like they are in over their head, but unless they actually tell us what the problem is, you are still only guessing.
You may be correct? Cynical may be the wrong term. It may have the connotation of wishing failure. I'll look it up. I thought a cynic was not trusting a particular view point.
Old 02-01-2017, 13:09   #104

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Just a guess and no insult intended. The boat is alot bigger than he's used to. Its in a tight location with other expensive boats close at hand and he has to back this thing and turn without hitting anything. I've been there, overwhelmed and feels pushed to do something before he's ready. Crew has even less experienced and doesn't really understand the problem. You don't know that you don't know. So a slight tow out the slip and down the canal between the expensive stuff feels much safer.

Maybe knock on a few of the doors with boats out back. Someone must have gone out with the po and may have real local knowledge or suggestions.
Best of luck to you. We're just confused, but really want to help. We Just don't understand the maneuvering issue and don't want to cause the original poster more problems by offering wrong suggestions. IMHO.
be safe and best wishes
Hi Badsanta. I guess I would be considered as the first mate. I came on CF to get insight and tips and make cruising friend's out there. My Husband is from Cali. And sailed and was a scuba diver instructor. And has knowledge of sailing. And experience. I, on the other hand, have taken online courses and such, but have not sailed. We have been looking to buy a boat for a couple of years now and found the one we wanted ,but it's 280 NM away from home. When we bought the boat, we were supposed to keep it at the previous owners private dock until February , but I guess because of medical reasons they threw an addendum in our sales agreement that we had to move it by that weekend when we closed. We already purchased the boat as is. So we moved her about 10 mins away down the New River. And yes we had some close calls with the congested canal and EXPESIVE Yachts,but we had no time to take her out , We docked her on another private slip at cost and have driven down every weekend to work on the boat to get her ready to sail. Now where were at is we are over heating and can't work on the boat here. And we have already paid over 800.00 in Towing because we were rushed. Had we known this, as much as we love the boat, we would have not took this route. That being said, we are already attached to the boat and want to get her ready to sail home. Anyhow, thanks for your reply and concerns, I am hoping that someone out there is close by and has some insight or suggestions . [emoji1]
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:13   #105

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Ann
Ann, good call on the fouled prop. That would make sense and explain the lack of maneuvering ability. And would be something they could easily check and fix themselves.
I hope the OP sees this.

Tags
asa