Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 13:17   #106

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You may be correct? Cynical may be the wrong term. It may have the connotation of wishing failure. I'll look it up. I thought a cynic was not trusting a particular view point.
Yeah, that, but I didn't get it from what you wrote.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:17   #107

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Hi Badsanta. I guess I would be considered as the first mate. I came on CF to get insight and tips and make cruising friend's out there. My Husband is from Cali. And sailed and was a scuba diver instructor. And has knowledge of sailing. And experience. I, on the other hand, have taken online courses and such, but have not sailed. We have been looking to buy a boat for a couple of years now and found the one we wanted ,but it's 280 NM away from home. When we bought the boat, we were supposed to keep it at the previous owners private dock until February , but I guess because of medical reasons they threw an addendum in our sales agreement that we had to move it by that weekend when we closed. We already purchased the boat as is. So we moved her about 10 mins away down the New River. And yes we had some close calls with the congested canal and EXPESIVE Yachts,but we had no time to take her out , We docked her on another private slip at cost and have driven down every weekend to work on the boat to get her ready to sail. Now where were at is we are over heating and can't work on the boat here. And we have already paid over 800.00 in Towing because we were rushed. Had we known this, as much as we love the boat, we would have not took this route. That being said, we are already attached to the boat and want to get her ready to sail home. Anyhow, thanks for your reply and concerns, I am hoping that someone out there is close by and has some insight or suggestions . [emoji1]

Why carebear1968 don't you use your post to explain what you realy need/want???
Tricolor is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:22   #108

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I take it the engine is overheating. Your partner is a mechanic so this should not be a big problem. It is usually the elbow or heat exchanger. Stripping and muriatic acid usually does the trick or soaking overnight with acid. Or it might be overheating if the prop is fouled. In any event before you set out you should get the bottom scrubbed

I don't understand why you can't work on the boat in your rented slip. I know they have rules regarding living aboard but AFAIK you should be able to work on the boat.
Old 02-01-2017, 13:22   #109

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
C.F. moderator comment.

Hi Carebear1968

On behalf of Cruisers Forums, we are sorry about your predicament.

However, to be fair, we really are trying to understand what it is that we can do.

# If your systems are working and you have confidence issues in piloting, then you need someone to assist to deliver your boat home with you.

# If you have mechanical problems, then you need someone to fix it for you.

# If you have a situational position of needing a different berth, then you need a different berth to fix some issues.

As pointed out, towing is perhaps a bigger issue than you think and with the information we have regarding your situation, might not be the optimal solution to a problem that exists.

CF members can usually assist with any problem but we need to know what the problem is to enable us to do that. We have been presented with a request that is difficult to fulfil legally and logistically and which may have a simpler solution.

When you take a car to a garage with a fault, the mechanic asks for the symptoms of the problem and THEY diagnose and fix it. Here it requires the same attitude. Tell the members what the problem is and the experts among us with time and boats can advise as to best solution.

Unless you do this, no one will risk damage to their expensive vessel in a tow which may not be required when a simpler solution can be found.

There is no judgement involved. Communication via written media is difficult at the best of times.

If the engine works or requires a little attention, please state.

We can start at that point.
Thank you very much and your you response is very helpful. I am new to CF and sailing. I have online and knowledge on a boat, never sailed. My Husband has, but I guess we made the mistake of buying a boat so far from home. We do know she is a great sailing vessel, Nevertheless, it is what it is and no going back. Just forward. Again, thanks for your reply and if anyone is close by and can give some info , it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. [emoji1]
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:28   #110

Boat: Mirage 35

Summary: for whatever reason, online communication doesn't seem to be working here. If there's someone close who can go talk to Carebear in person they might be able to figure out how to help, otherwise this will just continue to go in circles.

I've been following this because I was intrigued and wondered what the real problem / solution might be, but that's enough for me, and I'm nowhere where I could help anyway.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2017, 13:30   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post

I'm guessing you've not spent much time in Florida...
Thanks for the response and no My Husband has not sailed in Florida. And yes is is experienced, but, we didn't have enough time . I know I wasn't exactly clear in the initial post, but I have since posted responses here and if everyone would read them I think I have explained more. Anyhow, thanks again .
Old 02-01-2017, 13:31   #112

Boat: islandpacket

Carebare, I'm not trying to be critical, but are you personally overheating or is your motor overheating?
If the motor check the thru hull valve for the raw water. It may be off, or the intake may be clogged. Check intake impeller for damaged or missing rubber pieces. Clean replace as needed. Does this motor have antifreeze in it? That would let us know whether its raw water cooled or not and be more able to offer correct advice.
Its very easy for the boat to be fouled with growth that would explain all of this. The overheating and lack of maneuverability is a classic sign. I had that problem with my boat. Ran hot and would not move but slightly. My prop looked like an oyster farm. Used a heavy metal paint scraper to get it off. Use gloves and a snorkel and mask help.
Old 02-01-2017, 13:32   #113
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Lots of reasons for overheating..
Thermostat.
Collapsed hose.
Impeller.
bits of impeller in heat exchanger.
Fault in exhaust.
Get a mechanic.. or maybe there's a CF'r close by with some basic knowledge to go over it..

You can't beat a people up for 75yrs+ and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and Politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds their ambitions.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:35   #114
SFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
I know I wasn't exactly clear in the initial post, but I have since posted responses here and if everyone would read them I think I have explained more. Anyhow, thanks again .
Your responses have stated basically the same things over and over, except for this latest one about the boat has been moved. That's not the same thing as explaining more.

We now know the engine is overheating. We now know that they got a tow from someone, from somewhere, to somewhere else. I guess that's progress, both on their front, and on ours.

You can lead a horse to water.

Good luck Carebear.
SFS is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:39   #115

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

I got the impression she was physically overheating because she's in Florida, otherwise why would you want to be towed out to open water with no engine on an unfamiliar boat? She still hasn't explained why she would prefer a tow over a captain, the primary concern.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:46   #116
rrn

Boat: newport II 30

if its engine related here is a way its ugly but it works just bolt a kicker mount through hull and get a kicker sad but true i been there too
Old 02-01-2017, 13:48   #117

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Your responses have stated basically the same things over and over, except for this latest one about the boat has been moved. That's not the same thing as explaining more.

We now know the engine is overheating. We now know that they got a tow from someone, from somewhere, to somewhere else. I guess that's progress, both on their front, and on ours.

You can lead a horse to water.

Good luck Carebear.
Whew....I'm getting tired of running around in circles and getting nowhere. I need a nap. Or a beer.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:50   #118
TFM

Boat: Beneteau Oceanus 331

For what it's worth, about 2 years ago the diesel engine on my 33' Beneteau gave up the ghost while returning it from the Bahamas to my home in Fort Myers via the Okeechobee Waterway. After initially towing the boat out of the slip (we found out very quickly that would never work!), my friend and I strapped the inflatable to the starboard rear quarter of the boat, and with the outboard he pushed it through the locks all the way to Fort Myers from Clewiston (in the middle of the state) while I steered.

I'm sure we got some interesting looks from the lock attendants, but no one in authority even approached us, the lock attendants were their usual helpful selves, our 15 hp Yamaha never let us down, and our out-of-pocket money was minimal. The only real casualty was the new inflatable which I couldn't keep from leaking along the seams (still in my back yard if anyone wants it gratis).

I know the circumstances are different and it's a long way to Jacksonville being pushed by a smaller vessel, but maybe some variation on this experience will stir your creative juices.
TFM is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:51   #119

Boat: Oday 25

I think if I were in your boots, I'd try to "borrow a dingy" with an outboard to tie on my hip to move the boat. Let the dingy owner steer your boat and you run the dingy. That way, he is not towing you. But when you are clear outside, he can get back in the dingy. to get home. Just make sure the outboard is large enough to hold your vessel against any current if a bridge doesn't open on time. A ten horsepower should do it.
ebsail is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 13:56   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Good god, somesome go help these people. They need a tow, not a psychology session, with a bunch of self important sailboat skippers. Is this how it's done now a days.

I'm embarrassed after a quick game of 100 questions, these folks could be well on their way. Not one of you know if they are or are not sailors, the fact that they purchased a sailboat indicates they have at least some skills sets.

What they lack is funds, for a tow, they chance loosing their,boat, without fellow sailor assistance. These people reached out to that community, for help, and all they get is a Load of crap.

Nicely done gentleman.

Dirk Williams
Moss Landing Ca.
THANK YOU DIRK! We really do not know anyone here and are being charged up the you know what for everything. And we started off with plenty to get her going and home, but every time we tried to get her out, we had problems. She is a really good sailing vessel, but as I said in previous replies, we were supposed to be able to keep her where she was until February, but he had health issues and we had to move her within a week. We were not prepared for that. And nor could we afford the dockage fees here, regardless, we are stuck, taking time off work now and today , after the sails and elctrcal and mechanical work my husband and I did, we start off and overheated and to make matters worse, our Gold Towing insurance does not cover for another 15 days. So we had to pay out of pocket, $458.00 for a tow 650 ft. Back to this private dock that we were supposed to be out of today. Anyhow thank you so much for your response. BTW. My Husband is from Ca. And we know there has to be others close by like us that could lead a hand or some helpful info. [emoji1]
Closed Thread

Tags
asa