Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2024, 22:02   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
DC direct connect to Lithium

Can you wire 12v DC electronics direct to a 12v Lithium battery the same way you can to an AGM/Lead Acid?

For example I can drop a AGM in my cockpit, wire my auto pilot to it (with fuse) and it will work fine

Curious if you can do the same with Lithium?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 23:21   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: DC direct connect to Lithium

Rockinar that's a good question. I often see bilge pumps hot wired direct into AGM house batteries.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 23:26   #3

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Rockinar that's a good question. I often see bilge pumps hot wired direct into AGM house batteries.
Cheers
AGM/Lead yes. Lithium is totally foreign to me so was not sure. I dont see why not as long as the device was properly fused.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 00:30   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

If the LifePo4 battery has an internal battery management system (most do - some Victrons for example have an external BMS that needs wiring in) yes for appropriately fused electronics - just like an AGM. However many LifePo4 batteries are for storage only and not to be used as a starter battery. This info is usually found in the battery's user manual. How you charge it is a different matter.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 01:56   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Can you wire 12v DC electronics direct to a 12v Lithium battery the same way you can to an AGM/Lead Acid?

For example I can drop a AGM in my cockpit, wire my auto pilot to it (with fuse) and it will work fine

simply answer yes
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2024, 10:26   #6

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post

Yes, and most things are actually happier with the slightly higher voltage, and lower voltage sag.

As an example, The little refrigeration unit for our ice box now does a much better job at cooling the ice box than it did with our old lead acid batteries. It cycles a lot less than it used to. Especially in the mornings, it would often start the compressor, the voltage would sag, and the protection circuitry kill the compressor, rinse repeat. That doesn’t happen any more.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium