Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 16:13   #151

Boat: 40 Trojan International
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The towing insurance will not tow you from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville.
We are clearly not trying to use boat insurance to tow to Jacksonville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
First, you can't have a problem and then get insurance to cover it. It's the other way around.

Second, and more importantly, unless I really missed something, your boat runs, you're just afraid to drive it in heavy traffic. TowBoatUS isn't going to tow your boat because of that, there has to be something wrong with it.

If your boat is seaworthy and steers and runs, I'm sure you can find someone to captain it for less than the cost of towing. There are folks out there who do this sort of thing for a living. Ask around marinas.

You might even find someone willing to drive your boat just for train fare back home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lots of reasons for overheating..
Thermostat.
Collapsed hose.
Impeller.
bits of impeller in heat exchanger.
Fault in exhaust.
Get a mechanic.. or maybe there's a CF'r close by with some basic knowledge to go over it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Your responses have stated basically the same things over and over, except for this latest one about the boat has been moved. That's not the same thing as explaining more.

We now know the engine is overheating. We now know that they got a tow from someone, from somewhere, to somewhere else. I guess that's progress, both on their front, and on ours.

You can lead a horse to water.

Good luck Carebear.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 16:15   #152

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Since we are all giving you suggestion that you did not ask for let me suggest where you should take your boat on vacation. That will be about as helpful as this threat has been.Lol
Correct and thanks again scuba.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 16:21   #153

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Yes and outside puts them offshore on a boat of unknown condition in the gulf stream in winter. And that's a good idea why?
And parts availability is very good out there? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me either. Maybe if someone could locate an anchorage with vehicle access and dingy access would help a lot, I know there are some anchorages in the area, I am not that familiar. At least they could save on dockage. I would guess Active Captain or waterwayguide.com would help.
captlloyd is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 16:24   #154

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My cynicism may be just what you said. Wondering about the intent. Is anyone that naïve. Buying a boat with a working engine and yet pleading for help and a tow. I need help since I'm lost and need help about sailing and motoring would elicit help. Someone in the area, with knowledge, may jump on board. Not a bunch of rhetoric about a tow. It puts an entirely different complexion on the situation. I wish to OP the best.
Gotcha.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 16:32   #155

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Still sounds to me like a captain delivery type job, maybe one in the area with a RIB, and a few days on his/her hands who can help out for some money, although a volunteer would be nice. It is dark now, and it is unclear what that means for the present dock location.
Old 02-01-2017, 16:49   #156

After reading all of the threads and then going back and reading the original OP post, things start to clear-up a bit. She originally said ''Ft Lauderdale to open water''. Not clear. Does not make sense. Bridges? The boat is up the river in Ft. Lauderdale, yes lots of bridges to clear, narrow, hard to maneuver. ''Open water'' I think in this case means off of the river to an anchorage. A lot more detail in the beginning, (bless her heart) would have helped us all a lot. I can't imagine towing out of that river myself, but if they can get that engine to run cool, and maybe find someone to assist them with a dingy to help steer, they can get to an anchorage and get a look at that bottom, rudder and wheel. Maybe even do some cleaning. Someone with a dingy in the Ft. Lauderdale area could help a lot with very little liability risk, especially if they just volunteered. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2017, 17:20   #157

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
No such thing in Ft. Lauderdale.
A quick check for the Ft Lauderdale and surrounding area on Craigslist under 'Boats' yielded several slips from 400-700.00 a month (and as low as 250.00).

Of course that is far from cheap in my book (I pay 132.00 for a 33 footer) but considering the area, maybe not so bad. That of course doesn't mean that they allow working or staying on your boat, I just mean this as a reference number.

However, I wasn't really talking about 'commercial' slips anyway. There are many, many private-owner residences with slips and docks in that area, certainly there is someone there with an empty one willing (or in need of a little quick cash) to rent it out for a little while. The problem, as it often is, is in making the right connections...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 17:28   #158

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
A quick check for the Ft Lauderdale and surrounding area on Craigslist under 'Boats' yielded several slips from 400-700.00 a month (and as low as 250.00).

Of course that is far from cheap in my book (I pay 132.00 for a 33 footer) but considering the area, maybe not so bad. That of course doesn't mean that they allow working or staying on your boat, I just mean this as a reference number.

However, I wasn't really talking about 'commercial' slips anyway. There are many, many private-owner residences with slips and docks in that area, certainly there is someone there with an empty one willing (or in need of a little quick cash) to rent it out for a little while. The problem, as it often is, is in making the right connections...
I'd keep those rates under my hat.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 17:37   #159
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Oops my bad......

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He's gonna get really pissed off if you keep calling 'Her' him..
ur2slo is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 17:45   #160

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I don't think they were looking for advice they were looking for help with a tow . Just saying.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 18:10   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
I don't think they were looking for advice they were looking for help with a tow . Just saying.
I think they need more in the way of advice than a tow. Towing through bridges is never a good idea, especially on the New River. I think we are starting to identify what their real issues are, (overheating, marine growth on hull, rudder, wheel, ect) Have you been reading all of these posts? Just saying.
Old 02-01-2017, 18:20   #162

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Just a few random thoughts.

Early in December I helped move a boat from Punta Gorda to Tampa Bay. The owner had just bought it and expected the outboard he put on a 38' Adel to move the boat up the West Coast using the ICW. At the first bridge the engine stalled. We called Sea Tow and he expected to be towed to Tampa Bay. The thing is Sea Tow has zones and you can only be towed in one zone, not through multiple zones. Got the carb rebuilt at the marina we were towed to and set off again. Anchored for the night, got up and the engine would not start. Called Sea Tow again and another marina for the night, but Sea Tow said they would not tow again as the boat was not seaworthy. They also asked for proof work was done on the boat at the first marina.

Went to West Marine and the owner bought a water separator and installed it. Also connected up to shore power. My guess was part of the problem was a short on the boat draining the batteries so the outboard would not start, but there was probably also other issues. In the two days we had passed under several bridges and at the last one we were told the next bridge was being worked on and only opened at 8:00AM, 12:00PM and 4:00PM, not every 20 minutes as Active Captain indicated; with the warning that it might not be opening every 4 hours in daylight. Also had a long delay at another bridge that was being worked on. Waited over half an hour past the every 20 minute opening. A couple of bridges also had pedestrian traffic that caused an extra five minute wait. The ICW bridge openings are not written in stone, be it the East or West Coast of Florida. Not to mention things like the random drunk jet ski driver to make things interesting. Bottom line the final 45 miles was on the outside and under the Skyway Bridge.

As for the OP issue. A couple of others have mentioned growth on the bottom may be the cause of lots of problems. I think it would be well worth the money to pay a diver to clean the bottom. Maybe even check the zinks, but definitely pay special attention to water intake. Even with a brand new impeller the engine would overheat with a clogged water intake. Excess growth can not only make the prop look like a solid brick but limit how far the rudder can move as well. No question the engine may need work but even if the engine is perfect bottom growth would still make the boat unseaworthy.

Wonder if the OP knows when the last bottom job was? That would be my first question.
tomfl is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 18:28   #163

Boat: C&C

I should be in "The New River", Ft Lauderdale by this Sunday. I'll be close to Davie Blvd Bridge. I won't tow you down river as it is quite tight, twisty in spots and tidal. Also, very busy especially on the weekend. The Jungle Queen makes daily trips up past I95 bridge. The bridges are closed in a.m. and p.m. rush hour, other than that they open on demand via VHF 24 hrs a day. You definitely want to make sure your engine will run without overheating and don't want to get stranded down river closer to the ICW or ocean, as the closer you get to them the pricier it is per foot. Yes, there are a few anchorages [Lake Silva][Los Olas Bridge area], however, no guarantee there will be room when you get there, if that's your thoughts? I would possibly help pilot you down river once we determine that you have maneuverability c/w forward and reverse!!! I wouldn't risk the dingy idea in the river as others have mentioned!!! There's to many cowboys in that river and the railway bridge closes at various times for quite a period. You have to be able to hold position in that river or your dead meat. Sometimes the boaters on the river can be very accommodating , I came back from the Bahamas once on one engine, conversed with a tour boat in front of me, he contacted all 4 bridge operators up the river in front of me and told them that I had no steerage under 5 knots. He plowed the way up the river for me and all the brigade operators were onboard with us!!! This was on a Sunday afternoon when it's real busy on that river. It was incredible and I was very lucky, but we made it up to our side canal safely. PM me your cel number and location and I'll see if I can help out. But get that mechanic over first and get things running!
wannacat is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 20:05   #164

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

carebear,

Hi, Carrie, this has been a difficult initiation to CF. Sorry, some of the folks feel free to be pretty rude, and others, like me, pretty blunt.

If I understand the problem correctly, the primary problems at this point are the lack of maneuverability and the engine, which had run fine in its original slip, but which overheated when you tried to move the boat.

Those symptoms can happen from marine fouling, and if fouling is the cause, the boat will be extremely sluggish under sail, and difficult to steer. Having the bottom and the prop cleaned by a diver will cure that, if it is the only problem.

However, as mentioned above, with boats that have sat for a long time, there are other issues that commonly crop up. One is that the fresh drinking water in the tanks may be contaminated. One way to deal with that is to put it on "hold," and bring with you all your drinking, cooking and washing water for the return trip. Clean the tanks and the plumbing lines at your leisure in Jacksonville. However, the fuel in your fuel tank(s) may have biological growth in it, may have water in it, from condensation, that is why Scout 30 mentioned bringing along a lot of spare fuel filters. When the filter gets clogged, the engine will stop running due to fuel starvation. Then you change the filter, bleed the air out of the system, and off you go again. If you do not have a manual for the engine that shows how to bleed it, you can probably get one online.

It must be really frustrating having to commute to deal with the boat, but, really, it has to be made safe to go home before you take it there. It will probably be costly, too, I am sorry to bear sad tidings, it's nobody's fault, but it is how it is with boats. You and your good man will be having lots of learning experiences getting the boat home. You guys are on the steep part of the learning curve, and it is stressful, but you will be getting experience that will stand you in good stead.

I think it is a bad idea to just head out without addressing the list first. There are too many things that could go wrong that would be scary or dangerous.

Print out Scout 30's list: it is a good one for what to expect.

Try to be of good cheer, it's a New Year, you've a new toy, good luck with it all, planning is good, but good luck is a real boon.

Ann
Old 02-01-2017, 20:13   #165

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Carebear, glad you're still with us!

1. I think people here are trying to help you.
2. Keep at it. Nothing you describe sounds unfixable. You will enjoy your new boat.
3. Encourage your husband to get that engine running. If he is not used to working on marine engines, do what he can, then hire a marine engine mechanic to finish it off. Marine engines do have some particular tricks - but they are as tough as hell. Odds are that with a bit of time, and yes money, it will be running just fine. How to find the mechanic? Walk around the docks (and the boat yards, and the brokerages) and ask for names. One will keep being repeated. Hire that guy.
4. Yes, hire a diver to clean and check everything down there. Find the diver the same way you find the mechanic. if you haven't done this already - Do this FOR SURE.
5. Here's a tough one. Did you have a survey done before buying the boat? If not, it may be a good idea. It'll cost a couple of hundred, but it's worth it. I've bought lots of boats, and a good surveyor finds stuff I overlook. If you did have a survey done, it will tell you what needs to be done to make the boat seaworthy.
6. If you need time - Ask around (at those same docks) for low cost places to stash the boat while you are doing the necessisary repairs.

All the above is pretty much 100% DO THIS! The following is a bit more opinion:

7. Be cautious about taking a new-to-you boat offshore. Winter, Atlantic. What can possible go wrong, yes? I remember that you already talked about this. I would be more comfortable advising you to go up the ICW. If something does go wrong, the risk factor is so much lower.
8. Can you find someone to take some time with you guys on the boat to drive it around, or for the beginning, or all, of the delivery? If you can spend some time at a dock, these people can sometimes come out of the woodwork. Ask around. Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.

9. 10. 11. & 12. Stop. Smell the roses (or in this case the seaweed) and remember that this is supposed to be - and can be - fun. I know that this is a crazy time, but in a few years it will make a great story!! Boating is really fun. This crazy adventure is actually full of excitement, drama and yes, success. Keep that positive attitude that shows through in your posts. Fill your boat with love. She will love you back*

*please accept my last comments as sincere and honest. I'm a bit of a PollyAnna. I actually do believe in that glass-half-full crap. I hope it doesn't come across as condesending, I'm aiming at encouraging.

Good luck to you both. Let us know how things are going. You have a lot of people here who are wishing you success.

Scotty

PS. I just read what Ann posted. She said it better than me. Good Luck!!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa