Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 15:08   #1

Jon decides to go sailing

Hello lovely people of the world. I am a young English man. My name is jon. I have decided that I will leave the UK by sailing off on a boat on an epic adventure around the world. I greatly desire to spend the next 10 years or so sailing to the most distant parts of the earth, tropical islands, amazing places. It will be just me, the elements, and the nature.

There are perhaps a few obstacles that I will need to overcome to be able to do this, and I now seek some guidance in the matter.

Immediate challenges. I have no boat, no money & have never sailed before. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who perhaps has an old boat they no longer use or have time for, perhaps they might be willing to let me 'borrow'.

Thankyou for your time.

jon
jonsailingearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 15:10   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423 2006
Re: Jon decides to go sailing

Perhaps start by volunteering to crew at your local yacht club when the social races are on.
Blakhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 15:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Sorry, this post only scores 1/10 for originality.

(1 point for the "borrow" part)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 16:29   #4

Boat: Retired from CF

I LOVE the post , it made me laugh and laugh and in the current corona doomsday world crisis i need that.

I wish you all the best of luck and most likely you will be the one that in fact will see all these amasing places and meet amazing people.

See if you can convince a rich old english yachtr owner to let you have his boat and promiss him to make videos for youtube so he , the one that has all the money but no more life left in him can see all thge places that he dreamt of seeing but never made it because he constantly paid for the yacht maintenance.

Hope to meet you one day somewhere in the beachbar.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 16:41   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.........
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 16:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

THIS. IS. FANTASTIC. No money, no boat and has never sailed. And yet, the enthusiasm (naivete). When there's a will there's a way. Do some research, get some experience, play the lottery..... And DO keep us posted!

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 16:48   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard CF, Jon.

After you achieve your "great desire", you will have overcome two of your obstacles (having boat and having sailed) but the third will still be around.

Maybe that is the one that needs most attention and is the hardest to crack - I do wish good luck in that endeavour.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 16:51   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard here Jon! It's a great plan, but be sure to pack a lunch before you go.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 17:02   #9

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Head down to value village, or whatever your local second hand store is, and purchase a sailing jacket, pants and waterproof hat and some waterproof boots.
Splash some water on your hat with it on, so it runs down the sailing jacket, then flip on your cell phone camera and make a youtube video.
You need a chart of the world, and a red pencil, and you introduce yourself, and show your planned route. Walk the watchers through your plan, from start to finish, and then mention you need a boat to get started. Do your best at convincing the public this is really important for you and that you need help.

You need to look genuine, and very enthusiastic about the trip and your plans.
Post the youtube link in here so we can all see your performance, and provide guidance on how to proceed further. Good luck.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 17:16   #10

All these replies but no solutions! From a Jonathan to a Jon, you need SOLUTIONS, my man (assuming here, I’m sorry; if you are a Jonatha or Jonene or identify in some other way, please accept my apologies)!

You can do this. You have a dream. You need more to your plan. Start now. There are several active sailing forums, like this one. They all contain lots of people talking about how to approach their similar dreams, and some of those go on to talk about how they achieved them. There is a wealth of information in these places. You don’t have a wealth of dollars right now, so invest your time in building a wealth of knowledge.

Having knowledge will open more doors. Perhaps you’ll be able to find some work in a boatyard, where you can start to build the practical skills you’ll need to complete a round-the-world adventure by boat. You’ll meet people with skills and knowledge that will help you to plan and prepare. You’ll be able to start setting some dollars aside to fund your adventure.

As funds grow and you spend time in the industry, perhaps you’ll come across a good deal. An older person getting out of sailing, looking for a new home for their boat. Or a boat comes into the shop needing more work than it’s worth, and the owner says just to scrap it or give it away. Now you’ve got the skills, location, and network to help you make her right.

You spend some more time on her, continuing to sock dollars in your adventure fund. Now you’re set. You know every inch of your vessel. She’s got the best of everything set up just the way you want. You have the skills. You have an adventure fund. Now you can set out, as sure as you can be that you are prepared.

If that doesn’t work for you, everyone says you can start a YouTube channel, post some videos shot on your phone, and make bank.
jwoytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 17:31   #11

Boat: Spindrift 43

Come down to Bradenton, FL. There are enough floating hobos, you couldn’t throw a rock without hitting one. Toss $10-20k at them, and enjoy your new boat. (Not even kidding, it’s not that hard). Get the Don Kasey books, spend 6 months fixing her up.

Ignore any and all advice that says you CANT do it. SHOULD you do it?? That’s none of my business. Welcome friend. Drop me a line when you’ve hit the next step!!!!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 19:10   #12

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

You can have Mikes boat. Let him know I sent you.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 19:38   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I remember as a young guy there was a cheeky person who posted a classified in a sailing magazine. Basic same thing and please send a dollar. It actually worked and he sailed off.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 20:06   #14

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsailingearth View Post
Hello lovely people of the world. I am a young English man. My name is jon. I have decided that I will leave the UK by sailing off on a boat on an epic adventure around the world. I greatly desire to spend the next 10 years or so sailing to the most distant parts of the earth, tropical islands, amazing places. It will be just me, the elements, and the nature.

There are perhaps a few obstacles that I will need to overcome to be able to do this, and I now seek some guidance in the matter.

Immediate challenges. I have no boat, no money & have never sailed before. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who perhaps has an old boat they no longer use or have time for, perhaps they might be willing to let me 'borrow'.

Thankyou for your time.

jon

Look around your local yards, find a free boat, get a job close to the yard, learn to fix the boat. Very simple. Since fall is coming in your neck of the books, you will have a good 6 months to work, save, fix ... and repeat. Is doable
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 22:27   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Come down to Bradenton, FL. !There are enough floating hobos, you couldn’t throw a rock without hitting one. Toss $10-20k at t
Comprehension skills?

OP:

...I am a young English man. My name is jon. I have decided that I will leave the UK by sailing off...I have no boat, no money ...
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing