Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 12:20   #91

Re: Jon decides to go sailing

Greetings everybody. Firstly I must say, I was very surprised to read of so many genuine and heartfelt comments & the good humor also.

Apologies if I take a long time to reply, I am indeed working long hours full time & my free time is very limited at the moment. I had no idea that the sailing community was such a pleasant and warming environment & to think of all you out there on the ocean somewhere in your vessels and with all your experiences and knowledge I am very pleased to have found this forum. I must thank you all for your input & for taking the time to write to me, I value each and every comment & will endeavor to reply to as many as possible.

I knew it was a long shot & highly unlikely whether there would be someone that would be prepared to lend an unused boat, but thought there be no harm in asking and worth a shot. However even if there were it likely would not be suitable, and I do not wish to owe anybody anything, so sorry for asking.

Also there's seems to be quite a few people who think this might be some sort of hoax or dreamer nonsense, or that I am some kind of forum bot poster. What can I say, I assure you I am entirely genuine about this, and have no interested in a hoax or deceiving anyone. I am just a young English man who has no interest in being like everybody else and doing as everybody else does.

Further to the plan then, I have been researching various types of vessels, also 2nd hand options, also construction methods / the kind of size vessel as I would be living aboard for many years.

After much thought & research I have decided I will build my own sailing boat where I will set sail from the UK around the world. I am now starting to look for some land that I can use by the ocean that I would be able to start construction.

I also have a great interest to sail around Antarctica first of all and would be interested to hear from individuals who have done so and any particular challenges especially that you faced with this endeavor.

By the way if you have not already seen it, I can recommend both 'Sea Gypsies' and 'Following Seas' on amazon prime to watch, very inspiring and great stories.
jonsailingearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 12:48   #92

Boat: Spindrift 43

Jon, I have no doubt that you’re going to get an overwhelming response as you modify, then hopefully realize your dream. There have been a few dreamers like yourself that made good on their plans in the face of heavy criticism. Reid Stowe comes to mind if you’re in the mood for some fun, and perhaps inspiring internet reading. I remember his deal as it all played out in real time.

No matter how you do it, enjoy the ride, and above all, be safe!!! There is a LOT of very sound advice to be had, make sure you do your best to identify it and take it seriously.

All the best!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 13:10   #93

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

In your post # 1 you stated you had NO money.
Now you are going to BUILD a boat.
And you...want us...to take you...seriously.
Sorry ...but I have to stop writing. When my manatee friends are doubled over killing themselves laughing...well they emit a huge gas cloud.
They start slapping their paddles demanding chips and beer.
Then I read them another line of your post and more offgassing follows.
Sorry...I can’t take it anymore.
Captain Mark and his hysterical friends
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 13:43   #94

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny. There is a free boat that is close & free for you..... https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ada-rick-small
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 14:11   #95

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Land cost money !!!!!
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 19:13   #96

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Jonny, Jonny, Jonny. There is a free boat that is close & free for you..... https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ada-rick-small

Good grief! And this guy is planning to build another boat. Jon! DO NOT follow this guy's example. As was indicated in a previous post. building a boat properly takes time and money. If you do it right, you will have a better vessel than one you could ever buy. You can check out our catamaran and the various improvements we have made to it over the years at Time For a Catamaran Adventure – Isn't Time For Yours?.

I am concerned about your plans to sail around Antarctica! I think you should set your sights a little closer to home and find out the joys and extreme difficulties or challenges of sailing first. I admire your spirit and your honesty, and want you to succeed. But to succeed, you have to be logical and take one step at a time. Start by taking courses or offering to crew for local events, specifying that you are inexperienced and seeking experience.

Best of luck and happy thoughts!
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 08:45   #97

Jon decides to go sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
In your post # 1 you stated you had NO money.

Now you are going to BUILD a boat.

And you...want us...to take you...seriously.

Sorry ...but I have to stop writing. When my manatee friends are doubled over killing themselves laughing...well they emit a huge gas cloud.

They start slapping their paddles demanding chips and beer.

Then I read them another line of your post and more offgassing follows.

Sorry...I can’t take it anymore.

Captain Mark and his hysterical friends

Uhhh, this is starting to get weird.

So just to clarify, are you just a fun-loving guy who’s a bit “out there” or do you really think you’re Dr Doolittle??? [emoji846]
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:01   #98

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Uhhh, this is starting to get weird.

So just to clarify, are you just a fun-loving guy who’s a bit “out there” or do you really think you’re Dr Doolittle??? [emoji846]
Definitely getting the mileage out of that schtick, that’s for sure.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:59   #99

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

John, it will cost you far more money and time to build a boat as opposed to purchasing a good used boat, you seem to have the desire to have a boat life, but you have no viable plan.

Might I suggest a job that pays you, and during your employment you start a search for good quality used boats that need “some” work so that you start to have some functioning Knowledge of what refitting a boat is all about, this will as well give you an idea of costs.

Again you need a viable plan, not a notion/ whimsy of an idea you had while enjoying a pint . You need an awful lot of basic knowledge to even start your adventure which by what you have been posting you currently lack, again a viable plan is your friend. If you feel so inclined follow the ink below to have a look at our refit and it’s costs, it is an example of what it takes to do this.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 18:15   #100

No, I disagree. I will not buy a second hand boat. I am now set on building the the sailing vessel myself.

It will be of my own design. I am capable of the construction methods & all that is necessary myself. Masts, sails and engines, windows, hardware.. I will purchase, but the hull and the rest of it, I will be able to manage myself. I have posted an ad looking for land for the purpose, and have had one response so far, I will visit land by the Humber Estuary on the east coast of Northern England.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/commercial...oat/1385387714

Thanks for the links Pegu Club I will look into these.

I will start working on the design and post it up soon.

I think I will build a large bridge deck Catamaran, with folding center boards. I am interested in wing sails, but there is a romance & appeal about the traditional fabric sails & also the leaning over of the mono hull. I am considering steel or aluminum construction, rather than ply and fiberglass. It needs to be very strong, and reinforced/thicker at the bow, for iceberg impacts. It needs to big. Very big. Has anyone here built their own and currently living on it?
jonsailingearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 20:00   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsailingearth View Post
No, I disagree. I will not buy a second hand boat. I am now set on building the the sailing vessel myself.

It will be of my own design....

I will start working on the design and post it up soon.

I think I will build a large bridge deck Catamaran...It needs to big. Very big. .

Oh boy, I can't wait!

Flyin' Hawaiian Mk II.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 14:11   #102

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I gotta admit I first thought the poster was telling a big fib over the I have no money then told us ...”I’m going to build a boat.”
But he maybe an environmentalist after all because he’s considering aluminum construction. Horay. Love aluminum boats.
Now I did a rough estimate of how many beer cans it will take per thousand pounds of aluminum. The answer is exactly ...a lot.
If he were in the US, I could assure him my manatee friends would provide him with a steady supply of pre crushed cans...they just roll over them.
If he were down under in OZ the cans are bigger and he’d save time.
Happy trails to you Jon.
Captain Mark and his bemused manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 16:07   #103

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I gotta admit I first thought the poster was telling a big fib over the I have no money then told us ...”I’m going to build a boat.”
But he maybe an environmentalist after all because he’s considering aluminum construction. Horay. Love aluminum boats.
Now I did a rough estimate of how many beer cans it will take per thousand pounds of aluminum. The answer is exactly ...a lot.
If he were in the US, I could assure him my manatee friends would provide him with a steady supply of pre crushed cans...they just roll over them.
If he were down under in OZ the cans are bigger and he’d save time.
Happy trails to you Jon.
Captain Mark and his bemused manatees
Na, aluminium is to dear, I reckon corigated roofing iron, 2 sheets on the bows to bash those bergs out of the way. And it’s really cheap. I had to write something, to keep getting notifications on this thread because I really want to see Jonny’s designs.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 16:54   #104
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsailingearth View Post
Greetings everybody. Firstly I must say, I was very surprised to read of so many genuine and heartfelt comments & the good humor also.

Apologies if I take a long time to reply, I am indeed working long hours full time & my free time is very limited at the moment. I had no idea that the sailing community was such a pleasant and warming environment & to think of all you out there on the ocean somewhere in your vessels and with all your experiences and knowledge I am very pleased to have found this forum. I must thank you all for your input & for taking the time to write to me, I value each and every comment & will endeavor to reply to as many as possible.

I knew it was a long shot & highly unlikely whether there would be someone that would be prepared to lend an unused boat, but thought there be no harm in asking and worth a shot. However even if there were it likely would not be suitable, and I do not wish to owe anybody anything, so sorry for asking.

Also there's seems to be quite a few people who think this might be some sort of hoax or dreamer nonsense, or that I am some kind of forum bot poster. What can I say, I assure you I am entirely genuine about this, and have no interested in a hoax or deceiving anyone. I am just a young English man who has no interest in being like everybody else and doing as everybody else does.

Further to the plan then, I have been researching various types of vessels, also 2nd hand options, also construction methods / the kind of size vessel as I would be living aboard for many years.

After much thought & research I have decided I will build my own sailing boat where I will set sail from the UK around the world. I am now starting to look for some land that I can use by the ocean that I would be able to start construction.

I also have a great interest to sail around Antarctica first of all and would be interested to hear from individuals who have done so and any particular challenges especially that you faced with this endeavor.

By the way if you have not already seen it, I can recommend both 'Sea Gypsies' and 'Following Seas' on amazon prime to watch, very inspiring and great stories.
Jonny, I do like your style. You write a very reasonable response explaining why you have been tardy is getting back to us (i.e. your fan base). Of course you have visiting CF most days and keeping a eye on the comments and I guess you reason it is now time to up the ante. Good on you, mate!

And you do it so nicely, knowing the changing detail about the work and boat and so on is sure to generate much discussion amongst your readers. You should really have a youtube thingy or a gofundme or some such, 'cause you are clearly good at getting folks attention - I salute you.

The Antarctic diversion is nothing short of exceptional, I lift's me lid for that gem, well done laddie.

I eagerly await your next post, presumably in a few weeks time; I expecting it to exceed all expectations!

- you are a true inspiration in 'net land!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 00:04   #105

Boat: Island Packet 29

Champaign tastes....on a beer budget.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing