Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 02:21   #106

Boat: C+C Landfall 38
Re: Jon decides to go sailing

Jon, why do you need to buy “land “ to build your boat? Then you have hydro/water concerns... why not rent space in a boat yard? Or rent space that is conducive to construction? How does “ land” help your plan? Just curious...
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 13:58   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Jon, why do you need to buy “land “ to build your boat? Then you have hydro/water concerns... why not rent space in a boat yard? Or rent space that is conducive to construction? How does “ land” help your plan? Just curious...

Is a boat yard likely to rent space indefinitely for this kind of open-ended project that might be a total disaster?
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 14:31   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Hello Laura,

I am not looking to buy land, but to rent at a very reasonable rate, literally next to an estuary or directly next to the sea. I need to be able to use gravity to just slide the vessel down some rails into the sea. Building inland is just not an option. Vessel too large to go on a transporter. I cannot afford to buy land, as I say I have no money. I have a secure income with my job, so, bit by bit, I can purchase the materials and work on it gradually. Even if i could buy, I would rather rent it, in the UK I imagine it will be very difficult to find a suitable piece of land to rent at a low cost, but I have to try, it would be the only way of making it work. A boat yard will be far out of my reach in terms of affordability. Also a warehouse/boat yard is unlikely to be large enough for the project and their hydraulic cranes not big enough for this anyway. If I can find bare land by the sea this will be ideal. I would then start by welding up a level platform for the construction, with sloping launch rails, that I can extend sections with some I beams when it comes to rolling the vessel down into the water. The hulls as usual will be constructed inverted and once the hulls are plated and rolled over and in position for the bridge deck, I will weld up a temporary steel warehouse with beams for hoist cranes around the vessel to protect from the elements for fitting the insides out/bridge deck/and the rest of it. At the moment Im contemplating whether to construct from corten steel or 5083 aluminum. Wood/Fiberglass is off the table. Corten steel looks like I could just about get there over the years in terms of sheet material cost. Aluminium has its advantages and appeal, but would take me many more years to be able to accumulate enough with the greater cost of it for the surface area alone, without bringing into consideration welding equipment, and everything else associated. This is not going to be a walk in the park.
jonsailingearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 14:38   #109

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

yeah, i'm liking this 'own design' catamaran idea - why not slap it together in time for the next round the world yacht race...remember to take a few lessons in reverse navigation before you go, though...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 15:01   #110
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsailingearth View Post
Hello Laura,

I am not looking to buy land, but to rent at a very reasonable rate, literally next to an estuary or directly next to the sea. I need to be able to use gravity to just slide the vessel down some rails into the sea. Building inland is just not an option. Vessel too large to go on a transporter. .....................
Jon, I really encourage you to read this old thread, I sure you will find it interesting and entertaining - https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ars-11518.html

TL,DR version - Guy built a 75 foot, 75 ton ferro yacht and then unexpectedly, he had to cut it in half to get it from building site to the water and finally rejoin the two halves.

Great story about resilience!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 14:17   #111

Hope you got stamina Jon. To me alone the building of the giant launching platform and the giant warehouse on the land seems like a little bit too large project to take on without money
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 16:11   #112

Boat: S&S 40

The thing is it cost you more to build a boat then buying a used one.
Most people forget while you need lots of time actually working on the boat building project you as well need lots time to make some money, meaning holding down a well paid job.
Not to rain on your parade but I have been building yachts over the last 40 odd years and have seen a lot of dreamers come and go.
Bruce Roberts and James Warham advocating that anyone can build a yacht on a 'shoe string' using 10 sheets of plywood on the beach has send many dreamers broke or with a halve built vessel after many years of labour.
As I said it's better to save up and buy something afloat already.
Or crew on someone's yacht is the cheapest option.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:06   #113

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
In your post # 1 you stated you had NO money.
Now you are going to BUILD a boat.
And you...want us...to take you...seriously.
Sorry ...but I have to stop writing. When my manatee friends are doubled over killing themselves laughing...well they emit a huge gas cloud.
They start slapping their paddles demanding chips and beer.
Then I read them another line of your post and more offgassing follows.
Sorry...I can’t take it anymore.
Captain Mark and his hysterical friends
plus 1!
(& I circumnavigated in my self-built boat-see profile-so I know alittle bit what I am talking about.)
...this is all about a bet...!
Old 04-10-2020, 10:13   #114

Boat: no boat any more

...after all eliciting 111 post from the forum with just 2 BS posts - does anybody know where the record stands?
Old 04-10-2020, 11:44   #115

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

For what rudeness?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:03   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...after all eliciting 111 post from the forum with just 2 BS posts - does anybody know where the record stands?
Not sure there is a "record"... I think more like a moving target.

Dear Jon,
What you seek has been done before.
In fact.
You can find it right here on THIS site.
RIGHT here !!!!
The bar is set very, very high.
Are you up to it?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-239433.html

Please keep us updated.
Example. When the 80' hulls built... Not before !!
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 14:38   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Not sure there is a "record"... I think more like a moving target.

Dear Jon,
What you seek has been done before.
In fact.
You can find it right here on THIS site.
RIGHT here !!!!
The bar is set very, very high.
Are you up to it?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-239433.html

Please keep us updated.
Example. When the 80' hulls built... Not before !!
Thankyou very much for the link! Now that is more like it! Yes! I am impressed with this, and the hydraulic legs also seem a very good idea! Its inspiring to see a good size solo homebuilt and in steel, as these are quite few and far between from what I have found. My plan is somewhat larger than this, but this is an excellent starting point for reference & looks the part with full sails up. Do you think this has drop down keel boards in each hull? or just the narrower & deep hull draft is enough to keep the vessel sailing straight and true? Does a large all seas Catamaran need keels? Thankyou for sharing, very pleased to find this.

There is a build of a smaller fiberglass Catamaran I have seen on youtube but its just not big enough for what im looking to go for and im not drawn to fiberglass construction. Steel or Aluminium this needs to be.

The video is called 'How to build a boat Ep #1 - Catamaran you can live on'
Old 04-10-2020, 14:41   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I found that when I was young and had a dream and a burning desire to acquire my own boat and to "sail around the world" so many people, friends, family, relatives etc all scoffed at the idea, mocked me and tried to talk me out of it..... But I would NOT be swayed.

I found, to my delight, that there is a force out there, some call it "the universe" others feel it is God, but I found that it recognized my desire to do this and it started working in my favor!!

I have found this to be the case every time I really set out to do the impossible, or a mighty challenge, there is this magic that happens, and I wrote a book about this after my cruising days, to put it out there that all things are possible if you want it bad enough!

I don't often cite my book on forums like this, as it sounds like I am promoting, but in this case I want Jon to know this before his naysayers and and belittlers talk him out of it.

I was born and raised in the gold mining city of Johannesburg, and this is where I built my sailboat, six hundred miles from the nearest ocean. My book is called Days of Deja vu...kindle..nuff said, and good luck Jon, you CAN do it...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 14:44   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Jon, I really encourage you to read this old thread, I sure you will find it interesting and entertaining - https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ars-11518.html

TL,DR version - Guy built a 75 foot, 75 ton ferro yacht and then unexpectedly, he had to cut it in half to get it from building site to the water and finally rejoin the two halves.

Great story about resilience!
Thankyou for this also, appreciate you sharing. I find it astonishing that someone would go to such length but glad to see it a success. Ferro-cement, after watching 'Following Seas' on amazon prime, the story from Bob and Nancy Griffith incredible sailing life where they sailed their own self build Ferro-cement boat, although it worked and can be done, just seems too heavy, easy to damage, rust problems, weak construction. But it was good to see this, thanks.
Old 04-10-2020, 14:55   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Double U, you have so many years experience sailing the oceans, that's quite incredible, really an extraordinary life there sir. Bravo old boy. What words of wisdom could you share? what do you have to say of all your adventures gallivanting about? I would be interested to hear of your tales.

Apologies if you do not like my thread on your forum, I too was surprised at the large number of responses, though I really appreciate all the input and helpful guidance. Occasionally while working from home I come back here and see what people have commented & ponder over these, while working away, but im doing very long hours and late shifts, that I cant reply very often.

For the record, yes, im going to build my own all seas sailing boat, to live on, likely a Catamaran, likely from Steel, but hopefully aluminum once I have done more calculations on surface area/ material costs. It needs to be around 100ft length, larger if possible. Depends on cost over time. There are a few ideas and features I wish to implement, but will post designs when I can. Whats this anyway about Manatees? Im not sure I follow. They are rather big ugly boys arent they, did you come across some sitting on your boat one morning?

Tags
sail, sailing