Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2021, 12:38   #1

How to do a boat show?

My wife and I are considering going to the boat show">Miami boat show in February. This will be our first show and we want to look at catamarans for a potential purchase within the next few years (new or late model used). Being new to the process I'm not sure how much up-front planning and arranging this will take and hoping for some input.

There are 3 or 4 manufacturers that we definitely want to check out and several others that we may be interested in. Is it wise to schedule in advance with any boats that we want to see for sure or can we generally just wander around and check out boats at our leisure? I don't know that we're at the point yet where we need to meet with anyone to get a guided tour of the boats, though I suppose it would be nice to have someone that could answer any questions that may come up once we are on site.

Also, the first day of the show is the "Premier Day". Is it worth paying the extra for that? And is one day typically enough time to get a general overview of a handful of different manufacturers? We are usually pretty quick at these types of events and this is more to help give us a broad familiarity with the different options.

FWIW, we have chartered many times - primarily Lagoons and a few Fountaine Pajots - so have a pretty good understanding/familiarity with the condomarans. We are going to be focusing a bit more on cruising cats though still want to check out some of the more mainstream boats as well.

Thanks for any advice!
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 13:33   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: How to do a boat show?

Go on Premier Day, it will be a lot less crowded. I would email the exhibitors ahead of time and explain that you are in the market and looking for a cat in the xx foot range. They get so many people just out for a day trip that is worthwhile alerting them that you an actual warm body.
Old 15-07-2021, 13:35   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I had not looked at the Miami show web site since they cancelled last year. However, it looks like it will be drastically different from years past.

For many years, the sailboat show was at Bayside Marina, large powerboats were at Sea Isle Marina and most everything else was at the Miami Beach convention center.

For the last few years everything seemed to be at Miami Marine Stadium. I didn't attend any of those shows. But it looks like for 2022, they are back at Sea Isle, Miami Beach Convention Center and Island Gardens ??

Anyway, in years past, you could pretty much stroll onto any boat you wanted too, except for mega $$ ones, where they wanted financial documents, first born info and a SS number.............

As far as "premier day", don't know if it's worth it, but, we always make a point of seeing the boats we wanted to on Thur or Fri, before the onslaught of parents and their offspring........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 14:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We did the Miami show a few years ago. We were visiting my parents in Marco, and we thought we'd take a day to go to the show. When I told my wife they had multi-day tickets, she laughed. Little did we know... We could have spent a week there.

If there are boats you really want to see, by all means, make an appointment. You can almost always view them during the show, if you don't want to be hounded.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 14:21   #5

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Book hotel in advance.

You can get tickets online, I did up to week before.

If you don't contact the vender before, sometimes there is a wait to get on board, if there is a line.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 14:34   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Last years cancellation put a big hurt on the show and vendors. Miami was always our biggest show. Premier day is just as crowded as the other days so paying a bit more really doesn't make much of a difference. Also, if you are really serious about purchasing a boat, contact not only the boat vendors but any vendors at the show that supply sailing boats with gear you are most likely to purchase once you do buy a boat. Many times they will spot you a ticket or two if you stop by their booth and allow them to show you their wares. We do this every year as well. but please, be considerate of this. It is considered very bad form to ask for this and not even stop by the dock or booth.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:56   #7

Personally I prefer the Ft. Lauderdale boat show.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 09:26   #8

Not sure whether emailing in advance is a good idea or not...
One of the things that you can check when viewing boats at a Boat Show is the dealer itself.
If you go "unannounced", you'll experience two types of reactions from the dealers. Some will pay little attention to you, as you are just one of the thousands of visitors that they'll see during the show. These dealers most likely will not even follow up with you even if you leave them your name at the show.
Some others, perhaps because they have a better "instinct" or maybe are just better at their job, they will understand that you are a "real" potential customer, not just a looker, and will start trying to win your business right there, answering all your questions, spending a lot of time with you, etc. They will follow up almost for sure.
I think the dealer makes a difference when buying a new boat, so this type of "testing the dealer" may be useful information after all.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 10:16   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 43-101

In the UK I have developped the following approach.
Dress really well and if you have a gold Rolex or similar make sure it is visible. Wear your oldest deck shoes - the ones you use for anti-foul painting.
If the sales person looks at you she thinks - not poor - definately sails - and if she asks "what are you sailing today?" the answer is: "she's a Forty foot, twenty-one year old Alden (your choice - the one you would have liked to own) and the maintenance is a bit too much"
You will have the sales persons full attention and she'll be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
Of course America may be different????
Johnftaggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 11:11   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnftaggart View Post
In the UK I have developped the following approach.
Dress really well and if you have a gold Rolex or similar make sure it is visible. Wear your oldest deck shoes - the ones you use for anti-foul painting.
If the sales person looks at you she thinks - not poor - definately sails - and if she asks "what are you sailing today?" the answer is: "she's a Forty foot, twenty-one year old Alden (your choice - the one you would have liked to own) and the maintenance is a bit too much"
You will have the sales persons full attention and she'll be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
Of course America may be different????
I would have thought it was much easier than that to spot a real sailor. As for the Rolex - thats really funny....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 11:26   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Go on Premier Day, it will be a lot less crowded.

Totally agree w/going on the 1st day/the premier day. Sales people are fresh and spending the few dollars extra tells them you are different from the rest of the lookers. Also less crowds for a more enjoyable day.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 11:46   #12

Boat: Bateau FS17

How about the last two days? We will be in Miami midmorning the 19th and planning to go for a half day on the 19th and then on the 20th, is everything shut down gone on the last day or still there? (esp. in regards to viewing boats)
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 11:59   #13

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Book hotel in advance.
Best advice so far.
Old 16-07-2021, 12:39   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Not sure whether emailing in advance is a good idea or not...
One of the things that you can check when viewing boats at a Boat Show is the dealer itself.
If you go "unannounced", you'll experience two types of reactions from the dealers. Some will pay little attention to you, as you are just one of the thousands of visitors that they'll see during the show. These dealers most likely will not even follow up with you even if you leave them your name at the show.
Some others, perhaps because they have a better "instinct" or maybe are just better at their job, they will understand that you are a "real" potential customer, not just a looker, and will start trying to win your business right there, answering all your questions, spending a lot of time with you, etc. They will follow up almost for sure.
I think the dealer makes a difference when buying a new boat, so this type of "testing the dealer" may be useful information after all.
I found a very good way to get the onboard sales people to get to pay attention to you. Actually by accident.

I was on a very new model catamaran, there were probably 20 to 25 people on board and the sales person was talking to a couple of them. I walked around a bit, leaned into the conversation and asked the salesman what the mast height was above the waterline....?

Guy literally quit speaking to them........, and for the next 45 minutes explained to me every new feature on the boat...........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 12:48   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
How to do a boat show?

I’ve never had a problem being taken seriously at any boat show no matter how I dressed

( well maybe Cannes )

Anytime I showed any interest , I was provided with all the information

I had Tony Fleming show me around his trawler at a show once

Tags
boat, boat show