Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 10:08   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: How seriously is the 2M dumping policy enforced? (Yet another poo question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
The discussion so far has been about toilets.
What about the sink water discharge?
That is mostly just water from hand washing.
Does anyone have any info on regulations applying to sink water?
Is it OK to discharge sink water into the lake or ocean?
grey water is not regulated like blackwater. Sink water is legal for discharge .
Old 06-02-2020, 10:08   #77

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That's also what I'd heard, so I went to the Annapolis harbour website and could find nothing on this. I then dug into their extensive regulations and statutes. The best I could find was an oblique reference to using the "consideration" of the use of pump out facilities as grounds for restricting use of their public moorings, although nothing about composters, and no actual directions.

This is why I ask if someone has more direct information. I don't want to be the one to spread unfounded Internet rumours.
You’re absolutely right, Mike. It’s not stated anywhere.

I retired from a career as a municipal attorney so when they specifically told us in person at the Harbormaster’s office last September that we could not anchor for more than 3 days with a composting head, I went online to try to find the ordinance or regulation. There wasn’t one, at least not on-line. There is a vague ordinance or two that are used as “catch alls” which is where they would undoubtedly point to if you were to call them and ask for a cite.

Given my former profession, I knew there was no point in trying to argue with them about it (after all, I was paid to be that proverbial “brick wall” myself at times). But it pissed me off and if I lived there you bet I’d be taking the issue as high up the chain as necessary.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:10   #78

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Trust me O reily, I'm a pharmacist and living w/o chemicals is anathema to me......butt...yes its a joke...only use anti-diarrheals when both ends are going simultaneously.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:15   #79

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
You’re absolutely right, Mike. It’s not stated anywhere.

I retired from a career as a municipal attorney so when they specifically told us in person at the Harbormaster’s office last September that we could not anchor for more than 3 days with a composting head, I went online to try to find the ordinance or regulation. There wasn’t one, at least not on-line. There is a vague ordinance or two that are used as “catch alls” which is where they would undoubtedly point to if you were to call them and ask for a cite.

Given my former profession, I knew there was no point in trying to argue with them about it (after all, I was paid to be that proverbial “brick wall” myself at times). But it pissed me off and if I lived there you bet I’d be taking the issue as high up the chain as necessary.

Good to get direct confirmation. You'd think there'd be some sort of policy statement somewhere if they were taking this kind of enforcement action. Is it possible it's at the individual level with some over-zealous staff?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:17   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Trust me O reily, I'm a pharmacist and living w/o chemicals is anathema to me......butt...yes its a joke...only use anti-diarrheals when both ends are going simultaneously.

Thanks for clearing that up. I really hoped it was a joke, but humour is a hard thing to transmit over these forums. Without a few it's hard to know for sure.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:17   #81

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Bear in mind that the USCG do board boats to check overboard valves, and they often flush dye through your system to see if your valves have been altered. I have been boarded on the inter coastal four times in about 19 trips on the IC, and twice they dye checked me. Fortunately, all was in proper order.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:30   #82

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Good to get direct confirmation. You'd think there'd be some sort of policy statement somewhere if they were taking this kind of enforcement action. Is it possible it's at the individual level with some over-zealous staff?
It’s my understanding this directive came straight from the harbor master, although I haven’t spoken to her myself to confirm. Typically departments will have policies that aren’t posted online but are made available when requested. Presumably it’s written in the policies. I haven’t been able to completely take the lawyer out of the girl, so I’ve been trying to resist going down the rabbit hole to find out given that we don’t spend much time there at anchor.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:37   #83

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
grey water is not regulated like blackwater. Sink water is legal for discharge .
So you can pee in the shower legally? Or do the poo police make you promise not to?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:43   #84

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
So you can pee in the shower legally? Or do the poo police make you promise not to?
If your "equipment" can handle the stretch, you can probably P in the sink. (Sorry girls)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:43   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Can you reference some scientific studies that confirm this?

In Santa Cruz, the health department AND the surfers take regular water samples at the beaches. The worst beach for coliform count is usually the one next to the municipal wharf, and it has been that way for generations--I would never let my kids swim there. They have finally made some progress in cleaning it up--by putting netting under the wharf so the pigeons don't roost there. They still haven't dealt with the hundred or so sea lions that hang out under the wharf, because they are a tourist attraction.
It's really a moot point. Wildlife is going to defecate wherever they are when they get the urge. That in no way in any reasonable universe justifies humans dumping their feces in the water in a mooring area any more than it justifies you dumping the discharge from your home toilet into the street in front of your house because birds happen to defecate there as well. The entire "well wildlife does it so why can't I" argument is absolutely asinine, and relative bacteria count of different species feces doesn't make it any less so.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:51   #86

Boat: Baba 40

Go ahead. Tell the authorities it’s mining waste or fertilizer, the rules for both being relaxed by the current administration.. By the time your case comes before the courts, dumping human waste will be fine.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:52   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
have you ever actually read the list of possible side effects ?

On a couple I have implemented over the years on my kids ( when sick ) the first listed is usually constipation the last is usually diarrhea .
Kind of counter intuitive
Old 06-02-2020, 10:52   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In my limited experience, many if not most people would poop in the marina's facilities, or at their favourite breakfast spot. Saves wear and tear on the boat's systems.
Sure as do I, but I’m not getting up in the middle of the night, getting dressed and walking 100 yards to go to the bathroom anymore than anyone else is going to, nor am I doing so in the pouring rain.
By not using the head on the boat except for stormy times and at night I can stretch it to two weeks between pump outs.
5 days approximately if we use the head on the boat exclusively, maybe 6.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:53   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
considered direct discharge therefore legal.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:54   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Go ahead. Tell the authorities it’s mining waste or fertilizer, the rules for both being relaxed by the current administration.. By the time your case comes before the courts, dumping human waste will be fine.
threads shot now politics is in the mix

Tags
grass