Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 05:14   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: how safely use 1 lb propane bottle

I've never seen a propane cylinder that is 8oz or less. The disposable ones usually come in 14 oz torch cylinders and the 16 oz camping cylinders.

LPG is a term that encompasses propane, butane, mixtures of them, and various other fuel gases. The ABYC page you include above states that cylinders 8 oz or less must be rim-vented containers, e.g. aerosol cans, the type that are used on the portable butane stoves. Rim-vented containers cannot withstand the pressure produced by liquid propane.

Therefore, real-world, the ABYC still doesn't allow propane cylinders below decks. They allow butane stove fuel cans, installed in a stove. Whether this is a good idea or not, as you point out, is debatable.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:17   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
. . . Therefore, real-world, the ABYC still doesn't allow propane cylinders below decks. They allow butane stove fuel cans, installed in a stove. Whether this is a good idea or not, as you point out, is debatable.
Just to be clear -- they are allowed as long as they are 8 oz or less. One-pound camping stove cylinders -- the subject of the original post in this thread -- must not be either stored or used in the interior of the boat, according to the standards.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:35   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I've never seen a propane cylinder that is 8oz or less. The disposable ones usually come in 14 oz torch cylinders and the 16 oz camping cylinders.

LPG is a term that encompasses propane, butane, mixtures of them, and various other fuel gases. The ABYC page you include above states that cylinders 8 oz or less must be rim-vented containers, e.g. aerosol cans, the type that are used on the portable butane stoves. Rim-vented containers cannot withstand the pressure produced by liquid propane.

Therefore, real-world, the ABYC still doesn't allow propane cylinders below decks. They allow butane stove fuel cans, installed in a stove. Whether this is a good idea or not, as you point out, is debatable.
Actually ABYC does not use the term "propane" they use "LPG" which as you say includes butane. You can buy 4.oz LPG on Amazon
Old 02-02-2018, 06:12   #19

To my understanding, here in Canada and in the USA, it is illegal to store or use any size propane cylinder below deck or in any enclosed area without adequate ventilation on a "pleasure craft" of any size.

It can sometimes be difficult to determine an accurate definition of what an actual "pleasure craft" constitutes.......a canoe or super yacht

I use both 10 & 1 lb cylinders which I keep above deck. The 1 lb cylinders are kept in a locker on the aft deck....I have never in many, many years had a 1 lb'er leak except while on a defective bbq.

But I've had quite a number of the 25 lb cylinders leak, even after checking them immediately after filling. It has seemed to be after some usage and I attribute that to dirt in the valve.

I have found the propane re-fill stations are the main source of the dirt, even found some in the cylinder it's self from manufacturer.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:15   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
To my understanding, here in Canada and in the USA, it is illegal to store or use any size propane cylinder below deck or in any enclosed area without adequate ventilation on a "pleasure craft" of any size.

It can sometimes be difficult to determine an accurate definition of what an actual "pleasure craft" constitutes.......a canoe or super yacht

I use both 10 & 1 lb cylinders which I keep above deck. The 1 lb cylinders are kept in a locker on the aft deck....I have never in many, many years had a 1 lb'er leak except while on a defective bbq.

But I've had quite a number of the 25 lb cylinders leak, even after checking them immediately after filling. It has seemed to be after some usage and I attribute that to dirt in the valve.

I have found the propane re-fill stations are the main source of the dirt, even found some in the cylinder it's self from manufacturer.
There are absolutely no laws or legally required standards for LPG installations in pleasure craft (regardless of definition) in either the US or Canada. Crazy but true.

Yes the 20lb. tanks can leak, almost always due to a worn neoprene o-rings at the valve hose junction but replacement of those o-rings is just normal maintenance. We are full time liveaboards using 20lb. propane tanks for 25yrs. never had a leak. Even with a leak at the tank you are in no danger if your propane locker meets ABYC Standards.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55   #21

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
But for any spare bottles? You can buy brass caps, about $10 for 2 or 3, online. They screw right onto the propane bottle, with a rubber insert, so that even if the valve leaks the bottle is capped and sealed. Some camping suppliers also carry them, often twice the price. Cheap insurance.
On the surface of it these caps look like a good idea. But I got to thinking, the vapor pressure of propane is something over 120 psig. Will these caps really hold that pressure?

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:08   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

How many psi can a 1" wide heavy brass screw thread take? Dunno. But since the original seal is just a rubber ball? I suspect the brass cap works perfectly well. Similar little brass caps used to be used on air conditioning systems, in case the Schrader valve leaked, as well. You are taking very roughly a square inch of cap against maybe 120 psig, or 106 psi over atmospheric, so you are asking that one-inch cap to basically be like a nut or bolt holding up a 100# weight, I guess. Doesn't sound like an unreasonable load. And there won't be any pressure--if the little rubber ball is holding.

Is there a hydraulic engineer in the house?(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:23   #23

You CAN use them. But maybe you SHOULDN'T use them. It often depends on how aware, diligent and safe a person you are with these things. You can get a hose adaptor so the bottle is always outside even in use. But I fail to understand why someone doesnt just buy a small propane bottle and do it properly. I think they come as small as 3# or something like that, albeit harder to find.
I have had the 1lb camping containers stored in the coaming boxes in the past. Wrapped with rubber cushion mesh. Only to discover, they have gone completely empty over a year or so.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...hoCiO4QAvD_BwE

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane