Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 19:08   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Boom gallows

So I've a question about boom gallows...

I'm in the process of buying a boat that has a gallows, its tje first boat I've come across with them and I'm wondering how useful/important they are?

Asking as the gallows are in a pretty in convinient place and will make installing a full bimini somewhat difficult.

Obviously they prevent the boom swinging when the main isn't up, but with fully sheeting in the mainsheet and the topping lift does the gallows become surplus to requirements (given modern yachts don't have them).

Any thoughts out there?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 19:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boom gallows

Read this thread for many opinions and some examples.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...no-175928.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 19:50   #3

Awesome Steady, and apologise for not searching before I posted!
Old 31-01-2018, 20:21   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve never had boom gallows on any boat, however, my current boat is supposed to have it. At some point it was removed from my boat. The boat has been sans-gallows for going on 20 years now (possibly longer).

A simple topping lift keeps my very big and heavy boom up when not in use. There are times when I think a gallows would be useful (like when I’ve blown a topping lift shackle), but as you say, they do get in the way of other things.

I can tell you, I have not needed one, and would not install one now.
Old 31-01-2018, 22:06   #5

Different time, different place, but I was very pleased to have them;
1/ When lying ahull in severs conditions in the Solomon Sea. When a wave went over the boat it was nice to know the boom was secure.
2/ When riding out a cyclone at anchor in the Whitsundays Oz.
3/ In a very rough crossing of the Coral Sea from Honiara Solomons to Cairns Oz. On the wind, & leaping off the odd wave, I was very glad to have a secure boom, lashed tight to wrap my safety line around before going on deck to take sights, or adjust the self steering.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:10   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

A boom gallows is something I've been seriously considering adding to my Cape Dory. It certainly wouldn't look out of place.

I read the other thread that SteadyHand linked to and found it very good information. Not to beat a horse that already ran but I noticed a lot of talk about where a boom "should be" when the main is raised. I think can vary a lot from boat to boat. Size making a big difference too.

I had my main recut slightly to raise the aft end of the boom 6" because it absolutely was an accident waiting to happen. Under almost any normal point of sail the boom was right about forehead height. I consider that a huge safety risk and made the change before I ever sailed the boat. This is also something I read that is good for cruising boats as it can help keep the boom out of the water in a broach.

So two reasons I would like a gallows
a) When reefing and stowing the main it would give me a very steady platform to work with, Since I'm normally single-handing this is vital to me.

b) My thought here is to actually construct a sort of "double" boom gallows, one in front of the backstay and behind, allowing me to mount my solar panels across the two. I have the idea in my head, just not sure of how it will work. I'll have to try and draw it out to see how it might look. I'd have to make sure the boom wouldn't come in contact with the panels of course. But it's something I'm thinking about.
OldManMirage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05   #7

My boat has a boom gallows for the main and mizzen booms. I have thought about taking it down just to simplify the arrangement, but there are a few reasons I've decided to keep it.

- As others have mentioned, it makes a good place to secure the boom in rough weather
- It stops the boom from hitting your head in a (accidental) gybe
- Its a nice sturdy pole to grab onto entering or exiting the cockpit

I'm also thinking about ditching the soft dodger/bimini, and building a hard dodger top attached to the gallows at the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170703_100011.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	163213  
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 18:11   #8

Boat: Westsail 28

What boat are you looking at Olly ? For us it's useful but not really as intended , we have only used it once for it's intended use . And that was because it was rough and blowing and I needed to tame our boom while reefing . Ours is in the stern , it makes a nice frame for the boom tent .https://flic.kr/p/243NWsr
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 19:06   #9
rbk

Boat: T37

We love it for all the above reasons and does not interfere with the enclosure. The dodger sits under so I can look over it, an angled window connector that attaches to the higher Bimini. One zip and and the mid connector is off and the Bimini folds back (with the height it does not clear the boom when sitting in the gallows but as long as it’s not locked in place, it clears easily). I could see it being restrictive on a center cockpit or ketch with an aft gallows
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 20:32   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Boom kicker ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tba6xfdcnb...0side.jpg?dl=0
Old 04-02-2018, 06:47   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

boom gallows takes stress off mast when at rest.
seems beneficial to me.
your performance cruisers look a lil odd with em.
you all love to try to race and twist o flex your boats, but on a heavy solid cruiser they are welcome.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13   #12

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I had one on my CSY 44 and thought it was very useful for the reasons listed above. It also gave me a substantial structure to use as an anchor for other items. Mine had several positions so that the boom could rest straight back, or to either side. I thought it was great. Man, do I miss that boat! (52' MV now). Strangely, the CSY did not have a traveler. Huh.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:36   #13

I like a gallows but definitely not a must have. A boom with the sheet tight can often creak back and forth in a choppy bay and drive you nuts. But on boats with no boom I used my 4 part preventer/barberhauler to steady the boom in such conditions. Sheet on traveler to one side, Preventer on the other creating a triangle.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44   #14

Having read further I think on balance I'll keep the gallows, what really tipped me is I realised every time I enter the cockpit I use a hand hold on the gallows for balance. Very convinient!

The boat is a roberts 44 centre cockpit.

I will just design the cockpit tent to fit the avaliable space.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

once i install 2 gallows i will be able to have a cover over cockpit i can actually almost walk under, when boat is at rest.
until i slam my brains into the mizzen boom as usual. hahahaha..
i will also incorporate a davit system, hopefully functional enough for my walker bay 10.. want it off deck-i am getting old for that work, and you allegedly helpful males all gather around the young female sailors, when you rise from your desks. whats a sailing granny to do ..... making a shade cover fro use while sailing and a permanent dodger idea is fomenting...fermenting... forming....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote