Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 05:45   #1

how safely use 1 lb propane bottle

recently there was a discussion on the safety of a 1 lb propane bottle.

I use a 1 lb propane bottle for cooking.

I usually leave it attached to the stove. Worry about leakage.

How to make it safer ?

Is it anything to worry about ?

Need get propane sniffer ?

Thanks
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 05:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: how safely use 1 lb propane bottle

It's perfectly safe on the beach or on your patio.

Do not under any circumstances take it on your boat. There are other discussions about it here if you will a search.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 11:45   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The "valve" on that bottle is just a rubber ball which sticks in the opening because of the gas pressure behind it. One speck of dirt, or a roughness in the rubber, and it leaks, yes.

While it is on the stove, that valve is open and the connection is brass-to-brass with an o-ring seal. If you keep the o-ring in good condition, it should be quite safe. But for any spare bottles? You can buy brass caps, about $10 for 2 or 3, online. They screw right onto the propane bottle, with a rubber insert, so that even if the valve leaks the bottle is capped and sealed. Some camping suppliers also carry them, often twice the price. Cheap insurance.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 11:54   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

I've had them on my boat for the last 6 years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-P...3=5488&veh=sem

One is attached to my propane hot plate during the season, and this time of year, I have one in my Mr Heater Buddy heater.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G51BZU...a-272328547662

So far, so good but I do not enjoy lighting the hot plate........and I usually do a sniff test after bringing in the hot plate from the lazarette locker.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:39   #5

Boat: American Tug

As "Hello Sailor" pointed out there are no r
"real" valves on these and there are inexpensive brass caps to seal them ... I bought mine on Amazon. I would not take one aboard without the caps. Why risk your life instead of spending less than $10 for safety's sake?
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:56   #6

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

The ABYC standards state that 1/2 lb propane bottles can remain inside; 1 lb propane bottles can be used inside, but taken outside when not in use. We've been using and refilling 1 lb propane canisters for over 10 years, full-time living aboard. We store the canisters that are not being used, full but outside. The canister that we have attached to the stove stays in the galley until empty, then gets exchanged for a full one. We've never had a canister that was inside leak, only an occasional canister when refilled, then the leak is readily apparent and develops rather quickly after being disconnected from the 20 lb bottle. The only time that we've had problems is when a canister is overfilled, then it leaks through the overfill valve. The smell of a leaky canister is not only unique, but unmistakable. This isn't a problem for us since the refilled canisters are stored outside. Hopefully this will help you decide how to use your canisters.
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:56   #7

Boat: Rawson 30

As safety is number one on board probably not a good idea. Your insurance company probably has a clause in regards to propane not being controlled by sniffer device ie the auto shut off one in particular.
My shut off valve has saved us more than once.
Cheers hope this helps.
Dan Timms
Van Anda BC
Canada
sharutika30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:56   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We usually leave one propane bottle attached to our Magma grill on the stern rail. If it leaks, it's outside the lifelines and any gas will go overboard.

We carry two spare 1 lb. bottles in a "propane locker" we made from PVC pipe attached to a stanchion. The bottom of the pipe is capped and drilled so it drains overboard, as a propane locker should.

We actually showed this pipe locker to the Coast Guard crew at Southwest Harbor, ME a few years back and they liked it.

I had a bad experience with propane back in the 80s. A Marshal Sanderling blew up with one crew on board in the cockpit. Threw him overboard and broke both his legs. I was four boats away and still had trouble hearing for a week or so.

I've never had propane below decks since. I'm sure it can be done safely, but I just don't like it anywhere but on deck outside the lifelines or in a locker with overboard drains.

Good luck!

Terry and Jenn
Cape Dory 31 "Glissade"
Northeast Harbor, ME
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:01   #9

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I use them a lot and I find them to be very convenient. I do store them outside however. The potential for damage is too great to take a risk.

You may find this helpful:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma...5?recordNum=30

If the straps go bad, you may want to have it resewn with UV resistant thread.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28   #10

Here's one propane detector from one source out of many. There are lots of 12 volt powered units available for boats & RV's. Small price to pay for a potentially big issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTBW08G...8G79W3Z3&psc=1
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:48   #11

Just bought a couple of the brass caps! Great suggestion - thank you!

I've replaced my disposable 1lb bottles with Flame King refillable. I usually keep two in my propane locker; however, if we have both 11lb propane tanks, the 1lb'ers end up in the locker.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 13:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch007 View Post
recently there was a discussion on the safety of a 1 lb propane bottle.

I use a 1 lb propane bottle for cooking.

I usually leave it attached to the stove. Worry about leakage.

How to make it safer ?

Is it anything to worry about ?

Need get propane sniffer ?

Thanks

When I bought my boat it came with a flat of cylinders. They were still new in the plastic wrap though they looked a bit corroded. 6 out of 9 of them were empty. They were in a locker that is connected to the interior...
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:57   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Bug View Post
The ABYC standards state that 1/2 lb propane bottles can remain inside; 1 lb propane bottles can be used inside, but taken outside when not in use.
Really? Are you sure about that? As far as I know, the ABYC standards do not differentiate between LPG cylinders of different sizes. They define an LPG cylinder as "ANY vessel or container used to transport of store LPG", and they require ALL LPG cylinders to meet DOT or ASME standards, and to be kept either outside where escaped gases can drain directly overboard, or in a gas locker sealed off from the interior with an overboard drain.

1/2 pound of propane is more than enough to kill you and your whole family and blow your boat to smithereens. A pound of propane contains more than 11 megajoules of energy. For comparison, a kilogram of TNT contains about 4 megajoules of energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Bug View Post
We've been using and refilling 1 lb propane canisters for over 10 years, full-time living aboard. . . .
Disposable propane cans on board are an extremely bad idea -- they are flimsy, prone to corrosion, and prone to leakage -- far less safe than normal refillable LGP cylinders. But refilling them -- that takes the cake. They are not made to be refilled -- they are designed to last just long enough to use up the 1/2 pound or 1 pound or whatever of as which is in them, and as you can read in some of the posts in this thread, they often don't last even that long before spewing their contents out spontaneously. It is actually illegal to refill them.

Please don't anchor near me!

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-02-2018, 04:36   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Really? Are you sure about that? As far as I know, the ABYC standards do not differentiate between LPG cylinders of different sizes. They define an LPG cylinder as "ANY vessel or container used to transport of store LPG", and they require ALL LPG cylinders to meet DOT or ASME standards, and to be kept either outside where escaped gases can drain directly overboard, or in a gas locker sealed off from the interior with an overboard drain.

1/2 pound of propane is more than enough to kill you and your whole family and blow your boat to smithereens. A pound of propane contains more than 11 megajoules of energy. For comparison, a kilogram of TNT contains about 4 megajoules of energy.

Disposable propane cans on board are an extremely bad idea -- they are flimsy, prone to corrosion, and prone to leakage -- far less safe than normal refillable LGP cylinders. But refilling them -- that takes the cake. They are not made to be refilled -- they are designed to last just long enough to use up the 1/2 pound or 1 pound or whatever of as which is in them, and as you can read in some of the posts in this thread, they often don't last even that long before spewing their contents out spontaneously. It is actually illegal to refill them.

Please don't anchor near me!
I totally agree with you but ABYC says different.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:46   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I totally agree with you but ABYC says different.
I stand corrected; thanks for the information. I must have an old text of the rules.

Note that the standard does say that any cylinder larger than 8 ounces -- may not be stored OR USED inside the boat.

So one pound disposable cylinders are anyway forbidden by ABYC, inside the boat. Not to speak of REFILLING them.
Walt Whitman

Tags
propane