Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 04:12   #61

Re: Getting Too Fat to Sail

Sailing doesn't burn calories the way more aerobic exercise... at best it's like isometric exercise... some decent stretching etc getting oneself into and out of weird positions in maintenance and perhaps a bit in sail trim or hauling by hand an anchor. And spring prep... waxing and lifting etc... all good. It's not really enough in the end I believe. But it sure beats sitting at a desk pushing a mouse and striking keys.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:20   #62
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Dr Aseem Malhotra an English Cardiologist has just written an excellent piece that's a good, science backed, statement about diet. Have a read, but here is an excerpt.

Quote:
the change in dietary advice in 1977 to restrict the amount of fat we were eating helped to fuel the obesity epidemic unfolding today. It’s a bold statement, but one I believe is upheld by an array of recent research.

These days I make a point of telling my patients – many of whom are coping with debilitating heart problems – to avoid anything bearing the label ‘low fat’. Better instead, I tell them, to embrace full fat dairy and other saturated fats...
http://doctoraseem.com/the-truth-abo...ampaign=buffer
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:23   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
That's the secret. Live your own life by yer own rules. Still, I am astonished by all the fatties waddling around.
Hmm.... I've yet to hear....

"Hey... I think that crab is too fat, throw it back... "

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:52   #64

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Hmm.... I've yet to hear....

"Hey... I think that crab is too fat, throw it back... "
I haven't needed to shed in many moons.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:32   #65

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Has anyone noticed that sharks typically do not bite fatties? I know this is not 100% accurate but my observations tell me it is 90% true.

Humm...I wonder why?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:56   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Surf boards are to small..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Has anyone noticed that sharks typically do not bite fatties? I know this is not 100% accurate but my observations tell me it is 90% true.

Humm...I wonder why?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:20   #67
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I wonder if that observation has been correlated with the number of missing fatties?
Old 04-01-2016, 21:58   #68

Boat: Catalina 470

I sold half of my fitness center 6 years ago to go sailing. Over 20 years in the health and fitness industry I've seen lots of various named diets. If I'm ever asked my opinion I try not to complicate it ...."cut out sugar and grains" And your body will change! I hate naming diets but I have seen lots of great results when people follow the "the Paleo approach". Or check out Mark Sisson , Primal Blue Print.
Anyway its all relative, in my cruising circles I think I'm seen as the younger relatively fit guy, when I go home ( back to the gym ) I'm seen as the old relatively not fit guy......lol.
So the moral of the story is hang out with Fatter, older and poorer friends and all will be well...lol
Oh , also if they have a smaller boat than you, that would be good.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 23:06   #69

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
If you think, breathe, drink, eat, and exercise health, you will exude health. If you abuse your body with dirty air, bad water, junk food, and sedentary laziness, you will look like lazy junk. To each their own.
Bad water?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 23:11   #70

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Sailing doesn't burn calories the way more aerobic exercise... at best it's like isometric exercise... some decent stretching etc getting oneself into and out of weird positions in maintenance and perhaps a bit in sail trim or hauling by hand an anchor. And spring prep... waxing and lifting etc... all good. It's not really enough in the end I believe. But it sure beats sitting at a desk pushing a mouse and striking keys.
I agree. I carry a little stepper machine that fits in the cockpit for those long watches, keeps the legs going. Without it, if ocean sailing the legs can really wither. If no room for that just use some part of the hull as a passive stepper, and do a lot of squats as well. I do situps and pushups on the afterdeck, which is actually really good when the boat is in motion and I am head to the downside, and I neglect to use the powered winches. Manual trim, reef and hoist helps for sure.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:08   #71

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Bad water?
You know, GMO water
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:10   #72
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
If I'm ever asked my opinion I try not to complicate it ...."cut out sugar and grains" And your body will change!
Very wise post, Dale, particularly from a fitness center owner as they normally try to push the calories in /calories out BS.

You Can't Outrun a Bad Diet!

Here is an excellent editorial from the British Journal of Sport Medicine that supports what Dale says. It even covers why Coke spends $3.3m per year advertising a false message. It is great reading.

"poor diet now generates more disease than physical inactivity, alcohol and smoking combined. "
http://m.bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/...15-094911.full

Unlike Dale, I don't wait for people to ask my opinion... I shove my opinion down their throat because I lost a mate last year. While he was dying I didn't give him my opinion because I didn't want to be like one of those people who as soon as they hear the C word they offer grandmas home soup recipe. I didn't tell him how to find some of the modern medical research. I should have.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:14   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
So what is it about sailing that gets me slimmer...
You are not slimmer, you appear as such because you are standing taller with your head back, taking in the sweet smelling breeze. Lol. It is perception..just like how you feel more buff when you just left the gym.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:29   #74

Since we are talking diet/health as opposed to sailing now, I will add that I just lost 40 pounds this past year. Low carb, high protein mostly. Cut out the empty calories like sweets, sugary drinks, etc. Basically just being more sane with what you eat and when you eat it. Started out very low carb- no bread, pasta, rice, etc. for a few months and dropped 30 pounds in about 4 months. Kept that off while getting back to normal-ish foods (still keeping sweets at a minimum)..kept if off for 3-4 months then started another diet cycle. By now, the "diet" cycle is easy because it has become pretty much my norm. I eat lots of egg whites, chicken, fish, and broccoli. All carbs are whole grains, etc and all consumed before afternoon. No carbs late. I also started exercising again about 4 days a week. I don't miss sweets anymore..when I see them around the house I think to myself "is that really so tasty that I cannot walk past?"..if the answer is "Yes, it is awesome", then I take a small portion to get a good taste. The answer is generally "No" though..and I leave it be.
I still eat pizza and an occassional burger, and have to have a rare steak every now and again, but I don't overdo it on anything. All things in moderation. The holidays have come and gone and I have maintained without issue. I feel 100 times better than I did before..and my wife appreciates the fact that I don't snore anymore.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am surprised how few cruisers swim off the back of the boat in a clean anchorage on a daily basis.. maybe one in five boats in the Caribe.. one in twenty in the EU..
Beats the **** outa going for an amble and works every muscle in the body..
Have the swim before the go ashore shower.. 😃
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail