Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 19:44   #946
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
If I had a trailer to get her here she would be mine!!
just bought a 30' tandem Rolls-Axle you can use for free, weighs 1100# carries 9000+

pick up in SC, return to 2hrs from NYC

ready to roll apparently but not registered

Use her more than once in exchange for occasional help / advice
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 20:25   #947

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Ooh, beautiful, right up me alley, and its trailer!

But only a bargain if actually sound and engine works.

And wow, lots of wood to care for.

Headroom?

Passed up a Cheoy Lee Lion 35'

same trailerability, beam @ 8'9"

but 14000# dry!

The wood is definitely a thing, though from what I understand it is a wood atop fiberglass which sounds a bit better, like a floating pergo floor. I liked that it stood out from the usual selections, and the ad had the ring of being written by a sailor. Many of my Craigslist deals where I am the seller open with a 50% offer; I don’t get angry when talking price so it doesn’t bother me. I know what I need to get and so on. Maybe start there...?

Why pass on the Lion? Sounds pretty good. Was it more about that particular boat or was it an issue with the design? I’m still arranging my life to be able to sail year round, and I’m at least a couple of years out. Meanwhile it’s seasonal sailing on Lake Michigan. I love it but winter kills the deal every time.

This is the kind of boat that calls to me, that seems like it will continue to hold value for another few decades. Maybe not. I’m still figuring it out. When I was a kid sailing in 420’s I never would’ve dreamed that there’d be such a selection of serious boats under $10k, let alone that I would be in a position to own one.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 05:58   #948
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
Why pass on the Lion?
I'm really trying to stay inside 8'6", had no trailer at the time, it would take a custom one and a very strong truck to haul that kind of weight around esp over mountains, I didn't know just how seaworthy they were at the time, was a bit higher than my current budget, and she got snapped up within days anyway.
Old 19-12-2018, 06:19   #949

Boat: Bristol 27

Nothing is free.

I bought my free boat for $2,000. (2011)

Replaced diesel. $1,300.

Replaced 2nd diesel with a new outboard. $1,500.

Replaced the main. $1,600.

Added Solar. $400. (Victron 75/15 MPPT Controller 2018)

Completed a bottom job. $400. (2018)

Added inverters. $200.

Bracket for the outboard. $235.

New Dodger and main sail cover. $1568. (2018)

Batteries. $200

Batteries terminal blocks and fuses. $100.

Bilge Pump. $25. (2015)

Sheets, topping lift, etc. $300.

New polyester/dyneema lifelines. $100.

Bottom/topside paint jobs since purchase. $1,000

Replaced outboard bracket. $235. (2018)

Total $11,163.00

Still needed: New standing rigging. New Gen anchor. AIS. New running rigging. (halyards), 2nd Bilge pump. Manual Pump repair. Upgrade GPS.

Costs not included. Haul outs, launches, yard fee, slip fee.

I bought this boat to get an education on monohull sailboats since before I had only owned 6-8 small power boats, 4 beach cats, and a sailing dinghy

I wanted to get this education before I bought a nicer, larger sailboat, but I am starting to get attached to this old boat

The hardest adjustment was to stop basing upgrading purchases on the original purchase price of the boat
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 06:29   #950
cruiser

Sure, but many examples you pay, a lot up front, then still spend $10K in the first year.

For purposes of this thread, Free seems to mean, Wow potentially incredible good value here, likely just compared to our memories of past decades' market conditions, leaning more and more every year toward favoring the buyer.
Old 19-12-2018, 06:42   #951

Quote:
Sure, but many examples you pay, a lot up front, then still spend $10K in the first year.

For purposes of this thread, Free seems to mean, Wow potentially incredible good value here, likely just compared to our memories of past decades' market conditions, leaning more and more every year toward favoring the buyer.
Boats don't favor the buyer though ....... not usually anyway.

I bought my free boat to see if I could adjust to slow boat sailing.....just for the enjoyment of it
Old 19-12-2018, 07:24   #952

But, I do know a guy that just bought a later model 35 plus foot Hunter. (his wife loved the interior and the wheel steering)

This guy maintains everything he has with the upmost care. His boat looks like the pictures. The engine runs great and is super quiet

I believe he will come down some on the price as he is now paying two slip fees.

Catalina 27 ($6,500)

The picture in the yard is from the Spring 2018. The boat was a lake boat.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...751292964.html
Old 19-12-2018, 07:24   #953

FREE, or close to free!

Quote:

Totally agree. Free is certainly a misnomer; the carrying costs of any keel boat in the US are not insignificant. Just like any vehicle, there are storage and maintenance costs involved. But I like this thread because most of the people that post to it see listings in their area or couple areas every day (for me Chicago , and now a little San Diego) and this thread has become a “reader’s digest “ where attractive boats (location, price, condition; pick 2) that stand out for whatever reason get reposted.

I mostly teach jr high, but I have been a realtor as well. One of the hardest things when working with a new buyer, or a seller who has been in one home for decades is educating them to the market. Buyers want the bigger better deal, one that they can brag about. Sellers want top dollar, at least as high as comparable properties, regardless of the condition of their home. The really good deals don’t last. That’s their nature. It has happened many and more times where I have found a buyer a great home, but the buyer is not so sure, misses the chance, and then wishes for it to come back on the market. Meanwhile, all other offerings just can’t stack up to “the one that got away “. If they had studied the market for a year or so leading up to being ready to purchase, they would have known a great deal when it came along and submitted their highest and best offer...

Clearly there are differences in the market between boats and houses. However, there are similarities as well. This thread is a good way to get a feel for what the market is in different areas. It has served me as a launching point for inquiry into different makes and models as well. For example, in the Chicago area and the Lake Michigan region, the Tartan 10 is ubiquitous. In other places, a rare bird. There are various reasons for this, and this is the kind of thing I like to read about. Check this one out:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...773166159.html

At $4200, a lot of boat for the money. 1978 engine, 200 hrs/40 years = 5 hours/year running time. Beyond spartan below decks, an early year for production of the craft, may want for reinforcing/reseating of compression post, I’d check the chainplates, but still. There is potential here, especially for someone wanting to start cruising the Great Lakes. Will it need stuff? Probably. But I’d bet you could probably launch and have a great season and learn a lot, prioritizing repairs along the way, learning the boat, sailing. The engine is the thing, if it’s in working order and as lightly used as represented, and can get you on and off the dock or the can, then with some towboat us or seatow or whatever local service you contract with to tow you back “just in case”, along with the mandatory Coast Guard equipment and a ship to shore radio, I would feel comfortable starting with this boat and learning to be a sailor. For people who dream of a cruising lifestyle, starting with a summer test run might be a wise investment, before selling everything you own and buying a dream boat only to find out that you or yours don’t really care for it so much as you’d thought. My $.02. Thanks to all the people that participate in this thread.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2430.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	182476
Old 19-12-2018, 07:35   #954

Quote:
Totally agree. Free is certainly a misnomer; the carrying costs of any keel boat in the US are not insignificant. Just like any vehicle, there are storage and maintenance costs involved. But I like this thread because most of the people that post to it see listings in their area or couple areas every day (for me Chicago , and now a little San Diego) and this thread has become a “reader’s digest “ where attractive boats (location, price, condition; pick 2) that stand out for whatever reason get reposted.

I mostly teach jr high, but I have been a realtor as well. One of the hardest things when working with a new buyer, or a seller who has been in one home for decades is educating them to the market. Buyers want the bigger better deal, one that they can brag about. Sellers want top dollar, at least as high as comparable properties, regardless of the condition of their home. The really good deals don’t last. That’s their nature. It has happened many and more times where I have found a buyer a great home, but the buyer is not so sure, misses the chance, and then wishes for it to come back on the market. Meanwhile, all other offerings just can’t stack up to “the one that got away “. If they had studied the market for a year or so leading up to being ready to purchase, they would have known a great deal when it came along and submitted their highest and best offer...

Clearly there are differences in the market between boats and houses. However, there are similarities as well. This thread is a good way to get a feel for what the market is in different areas. It has served me as a launching point for inquiry into different makes and models as well. For example, in the Chicago area and the Lake Michigan region, the Tartan 10 is ubiquitous. In other places, a rare bird. There are various reasons for this, and this is the kind of thing I like to read about. Check this one out:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...773166159.html

At $4200, a lot of boat for the money. 1978 engine, 200 hrs/40 years = 5 hours/year running time. Beyond spartan below decks, an early year for production of the craft, may want for reinforcing/reseating of compression post, I’d check the chainplates, but still. There is potential here, especially for someone wanting to start cruising the Great Lakes. Will it need stuff? Probably. But I’d bet you could probably launch and have a great season and learn a lot, prioritizing repairs along the way, learning the boat, sailing. The engine is the thing, if it’s in working order and as lightly used as represented, and can get you on and off the dock or the can, then with some towboat us or seatow or whatever local service you contract with to tow you back “just in case”, along with the mandatory Coast Guard equipment and a ship to shore radio, I would feel comfortable starting with this boat and learning to be a sailor. For people who dream of a cruising lifestyle, starting with a summer test run might be a wise investment, before selling everything you own and buying a dream boat only to find out that you or yours don’t really care for it so much as you’d thought. My $.02. Thanks to all the people that participate in this thread.Attachment 182476
Be very careful buying an old racing boat because many times they have been pushed very hard and handled by new crew that at a minimum knock the crap out of the stanchions

Plus the boat is very rough looking inside and out.
Old 19-12-2018, 10:29   #955

Quote:
I'm really trying to stay inside 8'6", had no trailer at the time, it would take a custom one and a very strong truck to haul that kind of weight around esp over mountains, I didn't know just how seaworthy they were at the time, was a bit higher than my current budget, and she got snapped up within days anyway.

Thanks for the update. I was surprised to discover that my little fat butt Capri 25 was a beamy 9’3” at it’s widest. I took out a group of 5 friends, and it wasn’t too crowded, I guess that’s why. I’ve never hauled it far; just around the lot where I bought it. I wonder if I’d need some special permits? Hauling a sailboat any distance sounds challenging, over mountains sounds especially horrible. Thanks for your continued posts.
Old 19-12-2018, 13:19   #956
cruiser

rules wrt permits are state by state http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/...resources.html
8' means none needed, 8'6" means very few

For that 14000+lb load on steep roads I'd want a 4500 dually, ideally fifth wheel and super brakes on the trailer.

Most of the models I'm looking at are 5-8000, 3500's enough, squeak by with 2500 going nice and slow.

But yes whole 'nother skillset to learn, and the truck+trailer can easily cost more than the boat.

Don't want to further derail, so any comments on trailering, start a new thread or continue here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
Old 19-12-2018, 13:44   #957
cruiser

Quote:
The really good deals don’t last. That’s their nature. It has happened many and more times where I have found a buyer a great home, but the buyer is not so sure, misses the chance, and then wishes for it to come back on the market. Meanwhile, all other offerings just can’t stack up to “the one that got away “. If they had studied the market for a year or so leading up to being ready to purchase, they would have known a great deal when it came along and submitted their highest and best offer...
True, not just shopping as a consumer, but also in the dating / marriage market, professional opportunities, life choices in general. Luck favours the prepared.

Once you express an intention with strong feeling to the universe, as soon as a great opportunity knocks in line with your dream, grab it, even if you think you're "not really ready".

If you think, just because it's a topic domain new to you, "such opportunities must be common, I'll just wait for the next one", you may well never get as good a chance again.

Being able to make a decision and act quickly is critical to any measure of success. Better to make occasional mistakes than to habitually let high-value chances pass you by.

More opportunities do come, and more frequently, once you habitually **act** on your instincts / intuition. Being cynical or too deliberative, they stop coming your way as much.

Sorry for yet another derail 8-)
Old 20-12-2018, 16:13   #958

Bristol 27 ($4,500)

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...775860447.html
Old 21-12-2018, 16:55   #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

It does look sharp. I’m an outboard pro nowadays so I like that feature as well.
Old 21-12-2018, 16:57   #960

7900 isn’t free
But at 35’ with a very clean look, 7900 is pretty close. 2 months on the list, seems primed for a serious offer. It looks big and clean inside. Worth a look, if you’re looking.

https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/sai...738605940.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	182604